Campaign I dea; Tangent Champions

wrestlinggeek

Taking a cue from the Amalgamated Champions thread above, here's an idea I've been toying with, based on DC's Tangent Comics; Every super shares a name with an existing comic-book character or organization (from any company). I'll start you off with a few examples:

Red Skull; a heroic martial artist who disguises himself with a distinctive red helmet in the shape of a human skull.

Dr. Strange; Dr. Victoria Strange, direct decendant of Dr. Frankenstein, carries on her ancestor's work. Her greatest achievemant so far is her Humanites, animal-human hybrids with super powers. She is still working toward an eventual goal she has dubbed the Ultra-Humanite.

Spider-Man; A mysterious entity with the power to control spiders. No one knows what he looks like, or even if there's actually a human under there, as he is constantly covered by thousands of spiders crawling over him.

Archie Andrews; Head of the local Irish Maffia.

The Shadow; A mysterious entity, resembling nothing so much as a human shadow. Hunts down and kills the city's worst criminals.

More to come, but what does everyone think? Oh, and feel free to contribute your own, but know that I'll probably steal them if I ever do get to run this. Borrow! I mean I'll borrow them!

Re: Campaign I dea; Tangent Champions

Super-man - a Doc Savage pastiche taken to the max, who is literally at the pinnacle of non-super human potential. (In Champions terms, all characteristics and abilities at Legendary (non-Superhuman) max, all skills, etc.) He can't fly or fire lasers out his eyes, though...

My Champions Campaign is a Tangent DC game:

Templar(Superman): instead of Kansas Kal-L landed in the Andes near the secret monestary of the Knights Templar

Nightwing(Batman-Dick Grayson)/Raven(Robin-Helena Kyle-Wayne):

Armored Saint(Wonder Woman): when the Germans invaded her village Diana found a sword which transformed her into the avatar of Joan of Arc

Orion The Hunter(Green Arrow) Michael Two-Bears a Mohawk while studing at MIT starts his career by foiling a crime during a costume party. Uses a Greek motief because an Native American one would be too obvious.

SilK Spectre(Black Canary) an Asian American born in San Francisco in the 1850's

Belle(Supergirl) the daughter of Templar/Armored Saint who was killed by Dr. Destroyer and then had the brain of the Lena daughter of Lex Luther/Circe transplanted into her body.

Thunder(Mary Marvel) last surviving "Marvel" when Billy became corrupted from the power and killed Freddy, Mary with the help of the Mystic masters trapped him on the Rock of Eternity and now she can't transform back to her non-powered form without releasing Billy fromhis prison.

I'll post more later.

The Flash - A mutant with the power to project extremely powerful bursts of light from his whole body. These can be anywhere on the EM spectrum, including visible light, IR and UV, and most dangerously, EMP shockwaves and deadly gamma-ray bursts, which can be powerful enough to affect a large-city-sized area. As a result of these abilities, numerous governments and other organizations have tried to recruit, control, or kill him, giving him a justifiably paranoid attitude. Not exactly a villain, but could be pushed over the edge.

Silver Surfer - A street-level hero with no superpowers, but impressively athletic and possessing a prototype antigravity unit built into a surfboard. Wears a silver wrestling mask and silver shorts (over kevlar spandex, when he's on patrol).

Wonder Man and Wonder Woman: A husband and wife team of inventor/crimefighters. Use many hi-tech gadgets of their own design; most notably jet-packs, force-field belts, and their greatest invention, the Wonder Glove.

The Wonder Glove is a high-tech gauntlet capable of controlling energy for a variety of effects, including energy blasts, tractor beams, force walls, and others. Their teenage daughter carries on the family tradition as Wonder Girl.

In my Legacy Universe I did something somewhat similar with a group called the Interlopers. They're a bunch of heroes who all share a name with at least two published heroes from different companies, but are otherwise as different as I can make them from the published heroes (some have in common with those heroes features that they have with each other). The members include:

Major Victory -- A Captain America type.

Feedback -- a tech-nerd with the ability to absorb energy and return it later.

Changeling -- a Celtic faerie-woman with magic powers, including the ability to alter her appearance.

The White Witch -- a white-haired woman with luck-based powers.

Captain Marvel -- a lightning-slinger.

Dynamo -- a female speedster.

The Shadow -- a man with the ability to control and manipulate shadows.

Psyche -- a simple telepath.

I think its a cool idea. As others have thrown in their war stories...

I plan on calling my next campaign "Public Domain". All heroes (as will be the villains) have to be drawn from this source: http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Public_Domain_Super_Heroes. My preference is that none of the characters are currently appearing in comics (when the game starts). My hope is that we will have well fleshed out character histories and backgrounds. It will then be up to the player's to continue their character's story.

Professor X: A former Archeology professor, now cursed with a death touch that leaves a giant "X" on the victim.

Cyclops: A one-eyed person that grows. Similar to the ancient cyclops.

Storm: A embodiment of a storm. A literal whirling vortex of storm energy.

The X-Men: A group of supers (haven't decided yet whether they're heroes who rebelled or villains who still work for her) created by Dr. Strange (see first post). Each of them is an animal-human hybrid with names that end in either Man or Woman. Members include:

Batman, Catwoman, Hawkman, Owlman, Catman, and Spider-Woman.

The Sub-Mariner: Descendant of Captain Nemo, his fleet of super-advanced pirate subs hold the world's shipping to ransom.

Invisible Girl: Ghost of a murdered teenager, she's the unseen sidekick of a cop. Well that or the imaginary friend of a crazy cop with psychic and telekinetic powers.

The Hulk: Disabled flagship of alien invaders still in orbit around the Earth, it is now a supervillain prison.

The Vision: Cult leader with mental powers

Iron Man: Nickname of a really strong henchman who can absorb a lot of damage.

The Sandman: A rapist who uses knockout gas to subdue his victims

Angel: A young woman with healing powers.

Cyclops: A giant robot

Abomination: A mentalist that like to mind control people.

Absorbing man: A being that absorbs any energy

Aftershock: A villain that uses electricity to shock people, and then they keep getting shocked even if he is unconscious.

Bird-brain: A villain that saps the intelligence of anyone remotely close to him.

Blockbuster: A villain that uses blockbuster movies as his "theme" for his crimes.

Cable: A hero that can wrap mystical cables around his opponenets.

Cannonball: A hero that shoots real cannonballs from his hands.

The Starjammers. Humans who have been taken at the point of death through the ages by the Shaper of Worlds, an all-powerful entity,and slowly genetically manipulated in order to stop an impending invasion of Earth. Only six of thousands are ready to fight them off in order to gain time for the others to be "activated".

Scorpion: A priestess from ancient Egypt mummified alive. She can morph her body to resemble scorpion-like traits

Scarlet Witch: A Dark Ages Scotswoman accused of being a witch and burned at the stake. She controls the four ancient elements of earth, wind, fire, and water.

Havok: A Viking warrior who was thrown overboard during a fierce storm. He has super-strength and a big axe.

White Tiger: A Samurai from feudal Japan killed by his own clan. He has hyper-enhanced agility to add to his formidable martial arts skills as well as an adamantium-like katana.

Prowler: A Colonial American militiaman killed by Redcoats in a most dishonourable fashion. He has enhanced speed and stealth as well as hyper senses and can cling to walls.

Windshear: A French WWI pilot unable to escape his burning airplane. He is his own fighter plane with with flight and massive energy firepower.

Katana: an intelligent magical sword from Edo times who chooses its wielder to dispense its justice (it never stays with one sword-bearer after a case' date=' vanishing after the guilty have been dealt with).[/quote']

was there not a tv show about a gun like that

Wonder Man and Wonder Woman: A husband and wife team of inventor/crimefighters. Use many hi-tech gadgets of their own design; most notably jet-packs, force-field belts, and their greatest invention, the Wonder Glove.

The Wonder Glove is a high-tech gauntlet capable of controlling energy for a variety of effects, including energy blasts, tractor beams, force walls, and others. Their teenage daughter carries on the family tradition as Wonder Girl.

There should be a twin

Mister Fantastic: In 1938, archeaologist Ted Kord discovers an ancient temple in Egypt. Inside, he finds the fabled Bracers of Ra, which give him the invincible powers of the sun god; superhuman strength and resilience, the gift of flight, a nearly impenatrable force field, and the ability to project concentrated solar energy from his hands. He uses these abilities to become the greatest hero of the Golden Age, Mr. Fantastic.

Lois Lane: Activist, senator, supervillain. Lois Lane is a prominent member of Congress, as well as a vocal advocate of the Brotherhood of Mutants, the world's leading superhuman-rights organization. In secret, she is also the Oracle, future-predicting member of the Secret Six, a cabal of immortals who have sought to conquer all the Earth for centuries.

The Brotherhood of Evil: An all-male villain team whos' members are dedicated to spreading, chaos, corruption, and misery around the world. Members include;

Brother Voodoo- Voodoo priest.

Brother Blood- Vampire.

Brother Power- Wizard.

Deadman: A small-time thug for hire returns from the dead with dramatic new supernatural powers. But who brought him back? Why? Where do these powers come from? And why is he now targeting his former associates for death?

Martian Manhunters: These automatons are left over from the "War of The Worlds" invasion. Programmed to hunt down and kill Human Resistance fighters, they are armed with anti-personell heat rays, explosives, and numerous blades.

Colossus: Young Peter Parker pilots the amazing Colossus robots. Each is incredibly strong and highly armored, as well as packed with weapons. Parker currently has access to three different robots for various missions; the 20' tall Mark I, the 100' tall Mark II, and the incredibly powerful 500' tall Mark III (reserved for battling Kaiju).

Colossus: Young Peter Parker pilots the amazing Colossus robots. Each is incredibly strong and highly armored' date=' as well as packed with weapons. Parker currently has access to three different robots for various missions; the 20' tall Mark I, the 100' tall Mark II, and the incredibly powerful 500' tall Mark III (reserved for battling Kaiju).[/quote']I thought Rhodey would pilot a Colossus

Jack B. Quick: A young boy who can leap very far, and can start very small fires - about the flame size of a candle.

Joker: A villain that can turn others into playing cards.

Jonah Hex: A mystic who's main power is to make other unlucky.

Krypto: A master villain obsessed with puzzles.

Jack B. Quick: A young boy who can leap very far, and can start very small fires - about the flame size of a candle.

Joker: A villain that can turn others into playing cards.

Jonah Hex: A mystic who's main power is to make other unlucky.

Krypto: A master villain obsessed with puzzles.

I like the one for Krypto, very much. I was trying to come up with something for Jonah Hex.