The ThunderCats Project

Marcus Impudite

Re: The ThunderCats Project

Ok' date=' so I have now watched the first six episodes, want to get started, thinking about building them at various levels (Low Powered Super Heroes to Very Powerful at the end of the series). Having said that I am having a few problems with the Sword of Plot Device. First it can detect when the T-cats are in danger and let Lion-O know about it. It can also transmit to the T-Cats to come to Lion-o. Thinking about giving each T-Cat a "sense the call" Power (Detect a single thing, Range, 360), then the sword could add transmit with megascale[/quote']

I think I'd go with a Limited Mind Link instead.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'd go with a Limited Mind Link instead.

Yes, that's what I would do. Of course, the sword also emits a visual signal as in the Bat-signal, but that may just be a visualization. If the visual signal was the key, though, then people who are indoors would have a hard time seeing the summons.

Also, it seems to take a very short time, even with telescoping to fit thirty minutes an episode, for distant members of the team to reach Lion-O when he summons the Thundercats to him. But that isn't a teleport -- they don't just pop in at the sign of trouble.

When I wanted a character that could sense any animal within a few miles of where he was standing' date=' I thought about Mega-scale sense, I was told that he wouldn't be able to sense anything until after the first mile and I should go with Telescopic. Now I'm not sure if that's official or not...[/quote']

A mile is only +16 Telescopic (actually it's just about 1.25 miles) which isn't too bad. The problem with MegaScale is that it doesn't reduce very well. With a 2km MegaScale sense, he could sense that 'there is an animal within this 2km radius.' That's not always all that helpful...but might be exactly what you are looking for. MegaScale can be nice for those 'I sense evil approaching' moments. The Telescopic Detect would allow him to determine which hex the creature is in within that 1.25mile radius.

Actually' date=' under 6e, Megascale reduces to Personal scale unless you choose to add an appropriate limitation.[/quote']

Yes, but the sense would either then use the MegaScale scale (eg 'I can sense an animal within a 1 mile radius) or the character can use personal scale, which would come with it's own inherent Range Penalties as built. Good luck sensing something past 32m (with that -8 Range Penalty).

Keep in mind that MegaScale still has Range Penalties, but they are much less cumbersome since at the lowest level there are no Range Penalties out to 8 km.

Wouldn't you just use "Image" for the sword to call the other T cat's? I mean basically it is like the "bat signal" from Batman. It does seem like they are compelled to come and arrive usually about the same time despite distance and speed of travel so maybe "Summon" actually fits the bill better. Just depends on how you want to run it. I don't recall how it works if Lionel was underground where the signal could not go up or be seen or if the other T-cats could ignore it or be distracted easily from noticing it.

Wouldn't you just use "Image" for the sword to call the other T cat's? I mean basically it is like the "bat signal" from Batman. It does seem like they are compelled to come and arrive usually about the same time despite distance and speed of travel so maybe "Summon" actually fits the bill better. Just depends on how you want to run it. I don't recall how it works if Lionel was underground where the signal could not go up or be seen or if the other T-cats could ignore it or be distracted easily from noticing it.

Applying internal logic to this power does seem to lead to contradictions at times. I think there actually were situations where Lion-O was able to send the signal despite being undergrounds, in a cave, indoors, etc. I think much of that has to do with hurried writing.

But I just remembered something: Whenever they see the signal, the T-Cats' eyes glow red for a brief moment. Even if red is not their normal eye color. Which seems to me to indicate Mind Link. With the limitations that he can only transmit one thought ("Come to me!") and that they can't send anything in reply. The cost break from these limitations should be able to buy you all the increased range you need.

The thing about the call was that even if they were not looking or could not see it they would still know it had occured then look for the big image in the sky to determine where it was

Only problem with mindlink is that it would get expensive quick (all those psychic links to make sure it can target them)

My instinct right now is a fairly complex build, but relativly cheap as well (which I think is the right versitility, as I don't think it should cost each cat more than about 10-12 points, as this is how much innate HRRH would be, which is more versitile

Each cat will have a sense call power (for about 3 points). it is of interest to me that there emblem also glows, so it might be equipment, I want to see how the other thunderians (non thundercats) react to it before I right it up.

Second the sword will have a transmit call power, this should allow the cats to know that it has been sent. probably megascale on the transmit portion. Then an Image power for the actual symbol in the sky, probably with indirect (as it was not stoped by much) as part of the framework that the sword will be (Right now however it seems to be at least partialy a VPP)

Another frustrating aspect of the sword (to me, anyway) was Lion-O's ability to summon the sword to him, which didn't always seem to work. One episode Mumm-Ra actually managed to steal the sword somehow and plant it far in the desert where the Thundercats couldn't find it. How did Lion-O solve this? At the end of the episode he stands in the desert and calls the sword to him. It digs out of the sand and flies to his hand, thereby defeating the entire plot of the episode.

yup, that is annoying, it seems like it is still OAF, as in if someone takes it from him he can't just summon it back, but if he drops it it can come back to him, or if he has somehow defeated the person who took it it comes back to him...the sword is a huge plot device, able to do what ever they want it to when they want it to and not able to when they don't...it is annoying in so many ways. Right now my thoughts on it will be two frameworks in the sword, one a MP for the most common abilities (Summon cats, HKA, sight beyond sight) and another a VPP for the weird stuff.

Another frustrating aspect of the sword (to me' date=' anyway) was Lion-O's ability to summon the sword to him, which didn't always seem to work. One episode Mumm-Ra actually managed to steal the sword somehow and plant it far in the desert where the Thundercats couldn't find it. How did Lion-O solve this? At the end of the episode he stands in the desert and calls the sword to him. It digs out of the sand and flies to his hand, thereby defeating the entire plot of the episode.[/quote']Not necessarily. Mumm-Ra learned something new.

In one memorable storyarc, Lion-O had to defeat each Thundercat in turn in a contest against their strengths in order to affirm his status as Leader. (It was as much coming-of-age ritual as anything else, since the Thundercats held little doubt about Lion-O's worthiness to lead them). One of those tasks was to beat Cheetarah, the team speedster, in a marathon. This would be equivalent to racing the Flash. As it turned out, Lion-O won by outlasting her -- eventually she tired (partly from the combat that interrupted the race) and Lion-O made it to the destination first.

And, IIRC, all the cats Lion-O had to challenge were indeed trying to win. otherwise it would not have been a test for Lion-O.

All of the Cats are weakened by "Thundranium", an element that exists at various locations on Third Earth and can be used to make things like cages relatively easily. But recovery times are extremely quick, which reduces its utility -- take the cat away from it and they return to full power almost instantly.

I would give Tigra more DEX initially but increase Kit and Kat's Only when within 3 hexes of each other, to simulate them fighting off each other.

You know after reading this thread, for such a cool concept, this show was really stupid.

You know after reading this thread' date=' for such a cool concept, this show was really stupid.[/quote']

Partly this was common to supers "cartoons" of that time, which is that they had to be severely nerfed to get past Standards & Practices of most studios and syndication companies. He-Man had the same problem -- the lead character was the Superman of his world, but rarely got to really do very super stuff.

Even with nerfed violence, there were people ("consumer advocates" mostly) who wanted the shows off the air, on the grounds that they were essentially "thirty minute toy commercials".

A non-nerfed Eternia would be an interesting supers setting, come to think of it. I actually tried to model it with V&V long, long ago.

I agree with you Michael, for that matter I have an Atlantis setting heavily inspired by it in the back of my head, where the PC's would be a group of guards for the city pre-cataclysm. Court intrigue (with the skeletor character being a member of the nobility) and lots of cool magic science mixture. Leading up to the cataclysm where tehy would become some of the few survivors trying to hold society together

That's part of why I don't like OLD sci-fi. It's crap! It's full of ridiculous silliness. It's just how things were back then. I mean, at some point, people thought godzilla and the giant spiders were pretty authentic and now we just laugh at them and think how stupid does that look.