Record-able Mind Control

Autobahn987

Have a character for an upcoming game who has the ability to control people through the sound of her voice. Thats no problem, but I was wondering how you would right it up to include the ability for that mind control to work through a recording of her voice.

The idea is that she is a very talented singer but her success and fame are bolstered by the fact that any one who hears her voice or even a recording of her voice becomes obsessed with it.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Record-able Mind Control

Like many things this comes down with what you want to achieve by it. If it is simply colour - that many people she comes across will be drawn to her due to her voice then it is a complication "Distinctive Looks, voice, common".

If you want to accomplish more than that then there are all kinds of complications. If you can record a command and anyone who hears it will be susceptible then I think you are looking at an area effect, continuous, uncontrollable attack triggered by the playing of the recording. This is only stoppable by someone breaking the focus...expensive but then it should be.

Doc

Like many things this comes down with what you want to achieve by it. If it is simply colour - that many people she comes across will be drawn to her due to her voice then it is a complication "Distinctive Looks' date=' voice, common".[/quote']

I disagree. Distinctive Features is a disadvantage. It has to do with whether someone recognizes your unique appearance and/or whether they have a negative reaction to you. A positive reaction should not be accomplished through such a Complication, though it may be done in conjunction with it.

I disagree. Distinctive Features is a disadvantage.

Isn't that old school thinking? :-) It is a complication. People being drawn to you due to your voice need not be a disadvantage but it can complicate things.

If the character wants to derive constant advantage with no complication then there needs to be points paid. But, like I said "if it is simply colour" then a complication can deal with the slight good and bad things. IMO anyway.

Doc

I would add No Conscious Control (Only Effects Cannot Be Controlled; -1) since it sounds like the actions of those that hear her voice are not dictated.

Obvious, Inaccessible Focus (Cassette/CD/Audio File; -1/2) would apply as well. Probably also counts as an Arrangement.

A Continuing Fuel Charge equal to the recording's length...

I agree with the other mentioned advantages.

Have a character for an upcoming game who has the ability to control people through the sound of her voice. Thats no problem, but I was wondering how you would right it up to include the ability for that mind control to work through a recording of her voice.

The idea is that she is a very talented singer but her success and fame are bolstered by the fact that any one who hears her voice or even a recording of her voice becomes obsessed with it.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Hmmm...at first blush I'd say Fully indirect and Trigger.....have to think some on this one...

Here's one way...

75 Siren's Song Mind Control 8d6 (Human class of minds), Personal Immunity (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Cumulative (+½), Penetrating (+½), Area Of Effect (20m Radius; +1); No Range (-½), Set Effect (Causes target to become obsessive fan; -½)

75 It's a Top 40 Hit! Indirect (Source Point can vary from use to use, path can change with every use; +1), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +1) for up to 50 Active Points of Siren's Song, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½); OAF (Recording & Playback Device(s) of Opportunity (Radio, TV, iPod, etc...); -1)

No. The name has changed but the intent is the same. It "complicates things" for the character' date=' meaning makes their life or the job more difficult. That should never (or rarely, and as a very minor secondary effect) result in a positive advantage.[/quote']

But essentially that is what I said. If it is simply a colour thing, that is the character cannot normally use it for advantage then a complication route is fine. It can always be used to complicate things.

"Extraordinary vocal presence": Uncontrolled (+1/2) for up to 20 Active Points of PRE (10 Active Points); Restrainable (By turning off the radio or recording (if that's where it's coming from) ; gagging the singer; making noise; distracting the lister(s) etc.; -1/2), Requires A Roll (PS roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; -1/4) Real Cost 6

"The most compelling voice ever recorded!": +5/+5d6 Striking Appearance (vs. most characters that can hear), Applies at full value in recordings and broadcasts (Custom Advantage) (Modify downwards according to sound quality. ; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2) (30 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Restrainable (By turning off the radio or recording (if that's where it's coming from) ; gagging the singer; making noise; distracting the lister(s) etc.; -1/2), Requires A Roll (PS roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; -1/4) Real Cost 11

"Her voice will haunt you": +8/+8d6 Striking Appearance (vs. most characters that can hear), Applies at full value in recordings and broadcasts (Custom Advantage) (Modify downwards according to sound quality. ; +1/2) (36 Active Points); Damage Over Time, Lock out (cannot be applied multiple times) (7-8 damage increments, damage occurs every 1 Day; -3 3/4), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Restrainable (By turning off the radio or recording (if that's where it's coming from) ; gagging the singer; making noise; distracting the lister(s) etc.; -1/2), Requires A Roll (PS roll, -1 per 20 Active Points modifier; -1/4) Real Cost 5

Notes: I would normally assume that PREsence, and the associated Talent Striking Appearance, would work with broadcast and recording media automatically, whether it's a photogenic face or a striking voice, but probably at a reduced effect. I used a custom Advantage so there'd be no question the effect takes place at full or near full power over radio or recordings, as long as sound quality is decent at least.

Effect: when first hearing the voice, a subject experiences the full 20 PRE plus 5d6 Striking Voice, which is "Uncontrolled" meaning the "attack" is ongoing; I suggest allowing the person running the game to apply "common sense, dramatic sense, and game balance" to decide when and how the effect is "shaken off." Appropriately modified EGO rolls are one obvious choice, perhaps with the Singing roll as an opposed roll. After the initial exposure, for up to a week afterwards the memory of that beautiful voice will return to haunt the listener every day.

Lucius Alexander

Too frustrated with my computer at the moment to think of a good palindromedary tagline

I like it. To me it seems to fit better than a Mind Control. Perhaps the character also has a Mind Control fror those direct interactions. Also an NPC with the Complication of Obsessed Fan would be pretty easy to Mind Control and make suggestions to. Just a thought. Heck it could even be a heals after 24 hours or on week, but everytime they hear it they will have the transform done again...

P