Which older modules are worth running?

Dr. MID-Nite

Re: Which older modules are worth running?

Yep I remember a quote by the Vigilante "Gee you have awesome psychic powers' date=' and all I have is this shotgun"...:)[/quote']

And any mentalist worth their name..will use mental illusions to make it seem like he's on the other side of the room. Good job wasting all those bullets, hotshot. But..point taken on earlier comments. I guess my players just haven't learned much in the way of tactics beyond let's all attack the same target together...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are ways around that. When I originally ran Mind Games for my 4th ed group back in the day' date=' they didn't have any mentalists either but managed to beat them. The key is to not attack them head-on and to use different tactics. For my group, PSI was the first of many groups where they used tactics, targeting the bigger threats and running down the list until they had the group scattered. But mind you, this was after they got smacked around a few times ;)[/quote']

Yeah....i think my player group just does not have a good grasp of tactics...cause a lot of times they can get by on raw power. I did start to read through Mind Games. Pretty good scenarios generally....though the moment you introduce these guys...they're probably going to be the center of your group's attention for a while.

Yeah....i think my player group just does not have a good grasp of tactics...cause a lot of times they can get by on raw power. I did start to read through Mind Games. Pretty good scenarios generally....though the moment you introduce these guys...they're probably going to be the center of your group's attention for a while.

A good way to use PSI is to have them confront your group indirectly ... maybe allies in the local government have started to become suspicious of the PCs, or maybe there was a media fiasco that involved a hero going on an unprecedented rampage (battling an illusionary opponent). Slowly work them up in the background until they need to be seen. To be honest, it doesn't even need to be the whole organization ;) This works well if someone hired them, or if they have a reason to target the group.

As an alternative, I've also used them as an "evil X-Men" group in the past. During one session, PSI managed to kidnap one of the PCs (who wasn't able to show ... that'll learn 'em ;) ) and warp his mind into believing his allies were enemies. This particular PC was a mentalist, however, it could work with a NPC that the heroes come to know. Yet another trope would be to pull a "Judas Contract" on them and have a new member actually working with PSI ... or maybe just Psimon himself.

As you can see, I've used "Mind Games" quite a bit ;) PSI is one of my favorite groups ...

A good way to use PSI is to have them confront your group indirectly ... maybe allies in the local government have started to become suspicious of the PCs, or maybe there was a media fiasco that involved a hero going on an unprecedented rampage (battling an illusionary opponent). Slowly work them up in the background until they need to be seen. To be honest, it doesn't even need to be the whole organization ;) This works well if someone hired them, or if they have a reason to target the group.

As an alternative, I've also used them as an "evil X-Men" group in the past. During one session, PSI managed to kidnap one of the PCs (who wasn't able to show ... that'll learn 'em ;) ) and warp his mind into believing his allies were enemies. This particular PC was a mentalist, however, it could work with a NPC that the heroes come to know. Yet another trope would be to pull a "Judas Contract" on them and have a new member actually working with PSI ... or maybe just Psimon himself.

As you can see, I've used "Mind Games" quite a bit ;) PSI is one of my favorite groups ...

Did you ever use any of the 5th ed membership.....perhaps in combination with those from the old version?

Voice of Doom is a broken module for 4 players. Those villains will chew up your PC's and spit them out if they're run with even a half-ounce of tactical sense. I loved that module' date=' but the characters inside are quite simply too devastating for all but the most powerful hero groups. Le Maistre alone can turn an entire hero team into brain puppets. I love the module, but for the group size you're running for, I strongly advise you not to take that action. [/quote']

I have run VOICE of Doom several times, with different groups. Just finished running it with a group last week.

With 4 or 5 PC's, they need to be reasonably powerful characters with experienced PLAYERS who can use tactics and teamwork; or you need to seriously downgrade the power of the villains, and let the PC's fight them in groups, never all of the villains at once.

I have run VOICE of Doom several times, with different groups. Just finished running it with a group last week.

With 4 or 5 PC's, they need to be reasonably powerful characters with experienced PLAYERS who can use tactics and teamwork; or you need to seriously downgrade the power of the villains, and let the PC's fight them in groups, never all of the villains at once.

Teamwork and tactics from my players, eh? This one is probably out for the time being then. LOL My players are reasonably powerful, but their use of tactics is minimal generally(though that might change if they get repeatedly stomped). The VOICE villains seemed really tough from my glances at them. I'd never use all the bad guys at once..ugh...what a GM nightmare. On the other hand..an adventure like this might be just the thing to overcome their complacency(I have an avatar of a Ra...a regenerator...and a teleporter in the group...all good at avoiding serious harm thanks to their powers...so tactics aren't as big an issue for them generally).

It makes a difference whether you want the modules primarily for ready-to-run adventures, or as a source of ideas for future games. Some that may not suit your preferences for the former may turn out to be very helpful for the latter.

For example, Wrath of the Seven Horsemen is a pretty linear adventure good for two or three game sessions as written, and perhaps too high-powered for your group even using the included suggestions for toning it down; but it's absolutely chock full of plot seeds, NPCs, McGuffins, and potential villain and hero origins or "radiation accidents." I was still riffing off elements from that adventure years after running it.

It makes a difference whether you want the modules primarily for ready-to-run adventures, or as a source of ideas for future games. Some that may not suit your preferences for the former may turn out to be very helpful for the latter.

For example, Wrath of the Seven Horsemen is a pretty linear adventure good for two or three game sessions as written, and perhaps too high-powered for your group even using the included suggestions for toning it down; but it's absolutely chock full of plot seeds, NPCs, McGuffins, and potential villain and hero origins or "radiation accidents." I was still riffing off elements from that adventure years after running it.

True...I keep both ideas in mind..ready to run...or can I steal elements for my own campaign. Demons Rule is pretty basic..but I can probably get 3-4 sessions out of the material in it...just needed to upgrade the bad guys(defenses too low). It won't get much use after I run it though. But things like Wrath and Circle and METE have potential as ongoing game elements.

And any mentalist worth their name..will use mental illusions to make it seem like he's on the other side of the room. Good job wasting all those bullets' date=' hotshot. But..point taken on earlier comments. I guess my players just haven't learned much in the way of tactics beyond let's all attack the same target together...[/quote']

Well sure If the mentalist gets the drop on them....but if that senario runs in reverse.....

Zodiac Conspiracy and To Serve and Protect both describe sophisticated combat tactics used by their respective teams, as a whole or in smaller groups geared for a specific type of mission. IME one of the best ways to get PC heroes thinking tactically is to have their heads handed to them by a same or smaller number of villains obviously using efficient teamwork.

Zodiac Conspiracy and To Serve and Protect both describe sophisticated combat tactics used by their respective teams' date=' as a whole or in smaller groups geared for a specific type of mission. IME one of the best ways to get PC heroes thinking tactically is to have their heads handed to them by a same or smaller number of villains obviously using efficient teamwork.[/quote']

True dat, although some groups just never get it......

Guest dan2448

"Trouble For Havoc" and "Bad Medicine for Dr. Drugs" are actually both modules for Chaosium's mid-1980s super-hero RPG "Superworld" that also happen to include stats for "Champions."

I played both using "Superworld" over 20 years ago. I don't remember how "Havoc" was, but "Dr. Drugs" somehow managed to be both bland and gruesome (a centerpiece was intravenous heroin use). The players played pre-rolled teen PCs with low-level super powers who investigate the OD death of another teen from their high school (an intravenous heroin junkie, of all things, which was off-putting to us as kids at the time). A lot of role-playing is required for the PCs to learn who's the source of the drugs at the high school. This requires the players to wade through a series of teen stereotypes so overdrawn that they make the characters in "Sixteen Candles" look positively nuanced. (There's the usual high school cliques, including jocks and stoners, etc....) At the end of the line is "Dr. Drugs," as well as his super-villain father, "Ogre" (who oddly takes orders from his own teenage son), and even a couple of mob enforcers from the Chicago outfit. It all culminates, anti-climactically, with the PC's storming an unremarkable residential house in a suburban neighborhood to rescue a teenage girl who has been kidnapped by Dr. Drugs. It's not a good adventure in any respect, in my opinion. I'd definitely put that one aside.

I also played both "Island of Dr. Destroyer" and "Deathstroke" when I first bought 2e "Champions" as a teenager in about 1983, I think. I enjoyed both. But each is a very dated and simplistic kind of adventure that involves little role-playing and more-or-less railroads the PCs into a series of set piece fight scenes. That was entirely fine with me and my teenage friends 25 years ago. But I am not sure that they'd hold up so well today, after a quarter century of evolution in the hobby.

"Trouble For Havoc" and "Bad Medicine for Dr. Drugs" are actually both modules for Chaosium's mid-1980s super-hero RPG "Superworld" that also happen to include stats for "Champions."

I played both using "Superworld" over 20 years ago. I don't remember how "Havoc" was, but "Dr. Drugs" somehow managed to be both bland and gruesome (a centerpiece was intravenous heroin use). The players played pre-rolled teen PCs with low-level super powers who investigate the OD death of another teen from their high school (an intravenous heroin junkie, of all things, which was off-putting to us as kids at the time). A lot of role-playing is required for the PCs to learn who's the source of the drugs at the high school. This requires the players to wade through a series of teen stereotypes so overdrawn that they make the characters in "Sixteen Candles" look positively nuanced. (There's the usual high school cliques, including jocks and stoners, etc....) At the end of the line is "Dr. Drugs," as well as his super-villain father, "Ogre" (who oddly takes orders from his own teenage son), and even a couple of mob enforcers from the Chicago outfit. It all culminates, anti-climactically, with the PC's storming an unremarkable residential house in a suburban neighborhood to rescue a teenage girl who has been kidnapped by Dr. Drugs. It's not a good adventure in any respect, in my opinion. I'd definitely put that one aside.

I also played both "Island of Dr. Destroyer" and "Deathstroke" when I first bought 2e "Champions" as a teenager in about 1983, I think. I enjoyed both. But each is a very dated and simplistic kind of adventure that involves little role-playing and more-or-less railroads the PCs into a series of set piece fight scenes. That was entirely fine with me and my teenage friends 25 years ago. But I am not sure that they'd hold up so well today, after a quarter century of evolution in the hobby.

Dr. Drugs looks more Teen Champions...which doesn't really fit my group. Deathstroke is a definite possibility. Island is also...with a change of master villain to someone other than the lame Doc D

I recently acquired a large number of older modules. To all the old Herophiles are there...which are worth updating and using....and why? Among the ones I got...

Great Supervillan Contest

Deathstroke

Wrath of the Seven Horsemen

Trouble For Havoc

Bad Medicine For Dr. Drugs

Island of Dr. Destroyer(though I'd use another master villain as I hate Destroyer)

Day of the Destroyer(same deal as above)

Circle and METE

Coriolis Effect

Wings of the Valkyrie

VOICE of Doom

Scourge From the Deep

To Serve and Protect

Mind Games

Atlas Unleashed

Zodiac Conspiracy

Invaders from Below

Demons Rule

You've been diggin' through my closet again, haven't you? :)

I have very fond memories of the Coriolus Effect. The first part of the scenario where the heroes discover the involvement of the Black Enchantress became the best ghost story scenario we ever played as a group. I threw away the rule book as far as mental effects went and removed all the player's power over the environment by GM fiat funnelling them towards a conclusion they could see coming from a long way off.

I think there is the basis of a good game in most of the scenarios but most of them need work to give your players the experience they expect of a game today...

Doc

I LOOOOOVEEEEE To Serve And Protect. Great adventure with the possibility to add some great NPCs to your world and teach your PCs how to use tactics. What's not to love.

Great supervillain contest is a bit silly, but I found it a blast (as a 15 year old). I suspect it would not hold up to well today.

• 3 weeks later...

I have very fond memories of the Coriolus Effect. The first part of the scenario where the heroes discover the involvement of the Black Enchantress became the best ghost story scenario we ever played as a group. I threw away the rule book as far as mental effects went and removed all the player's power over the environment by GM fiat funnelling them towards a conclusion they could see coming from a long way off.

I think there is the basis of a good game in most of the scenarios but most of them need work to give your players the experience they expect of a game today...

Doc

I just got the Coriolis Effect module. It has Black Enchantress with a power called "1D6+1 Ego Destruction, ranged, vs. ECV", what power is that?

I just got the Coriolis Effect module. It has Black Enchantress with a power called "1D6+1 Ego Destruction' date=' ranged, vs. ECV", what power is that?[/quote']

That was a long-term version of power drain (Ego), I think. Earlier editions didn't have increased recovery time options the way we do now.

I tried writing up Black Enchantress with 4th edition rules, and for the same point cost she paid for "1D6+1 Ego Destruction" you could buy a 1 1/2 Ego Drain, ranged, vs. ECV that had a recovery rate at the 5 year rate. That's petty long term.

My Players liked both Dr.Destroyer Adventures. (Island and Day of...).

Atlas Unleashed was was good too. ( The Enemy's needed some work through.)

As a German I am reluctant to try Wings of the Valkyrie ( Even if my personal sense of perversion is tickled by the twist. (I found a scan online.)) The Characters are easy to recreate.

I never found any problem with WotV, it's a great time travel scenario. Do the heroes you save the "bad guy" to keep a badder guy from doing evil?

Now throw in The Ayran from Allies as an NPC and that game gets really fun. Which side is he on? What if his alternate version on Nazi world is an Anti Nazi hero who helps the PCs?

White converting Black Enchantress to 4th edition rules I noticed her "base" cost a heck of a lot more. I take it in oder editons you didn't have to pay 1 to 1 for the point costs of based that cost more then the character who made them?

I believe in older editions....there was the "Mastermind" option. For 50 points, you get your total number of character points with which to build a base. So..a 600 pt character who spends 50 points on "Mastermind" got 600 points to use on bases.....BUT...it was 1 for 1 pt though...not the 5 for 1 we have now.

My Players liked both Dr.Destroyer Adventures. (Island and Day of...).

Atlas Unleashed was was good too. ( The Enemy's needed some work through.)

As a German I am reluctant to try Wings of the Valkyrie ( Even if my personal sense of perversion is tickled by the twist. (I found a scan online.)) The Characters are easy to recreate.

Where did you find the scan? Can you PM me?

Great Supervillan Contest: This one was fun the two times I ran it. Utility and Foxbat worked really well in this one.

Bad Medicine For Dr. Drugs: I agree with others that this would be okay for Teen Champions groups. It's a little dark for my tastes with the drug use theme.

Circle and METE: I loved the Circle when they were first introduced.

Wings of the Valkyrie: This one was one of the more controversial adventures I ran, but my players had fun. If anyone would like a pdf copy, please PM me.

VOICE of Doom: One tough group of villains. The adventure worked well to get one supergroup together.

To Serve and Protect: Flat out one of my very favorite modules.

Mind Games: Another great module.