Two 'Gadget Archer' questions

CrosshairCollie

One mechanical, one not.

I was thinking that, instead of a quiver, the character has the arrows stored in a tesseract pocket in his right glove. He could theoretically create an arrow and jab someone with it rather than shooting it from the bow. I was thinking this would be bought by making the arrows a multipower with No Range and IIF Glove, then either:

1. Buying the Ranged advantage for the MP with the OAF Bow, which I'm pretty sure isn't legal, or

2. Buying off the No Range disadvantage through the Focus (halving the points returned), but I'm almost positive that's not legal.

How would you do this? Edit: I only speak 5E; if you use any 6E lingo, please translate. :)

Second question ... are there any good archery names that aren't already taken? For the record, I consider any (Color) Arrow or (Color) Bowman names covered already. :)

Re: Two 'Gadget Archer' questions

I would go with the MP/Naked Advantage.I've done this in the past and There was a character back in Enemies III that did the MP with the @Range naked advantage.

Oh and as for a name I'm fond of Orion the Hunter myself.

Why not just build a Multipower that includes all his ranged gadget stuff' date=' and then just one of the slots be a HTH / HKA attack to simulate the ol' Poke in the Eye with a Sharp Stick maneuver?[/quote']

No reason, it works either way this is HERO after all :) Though I also put the Naked Advantage in a Bow-EC(haven't coverted this character to 6E yet) with Hand Attack and Missle Deflection.

Archer names:

Able Archer

Artemis

Houyi (Chinese god of archery)

Excellent Archer (Descriptor for Houyi)

The Hooded Man

Arrowhead

Ranger

Ace of Spades

Kyu (Kyudo is the art of archery)

Moon Hunter

Fletcher

Sagittarius

Bowman

Yumiko (Japanese for "Bowgirl if you spell it that way although it isn't normally spelled that way, and a yumi is normally too heavy a bow for a girl)

No reason' date=' it works either way this is HERO after all :) Though I also put the Naked Advantage in a Bow-EC(haven't coverted this character to 6E yet) with Hand Attack and Missle Deflection.[/quote']

Naked Advantage in a framework is another one of those things that I'm pretty sure is illegal ... I'm gonna have to just sit down and read FREd again one of these nights.

Naked Advantage in a framework is another one of those things that I'm pretty sure is illegal ... I'm gonna have to just sit down and read FREd again one of these nights.

I think I just copied it out of Enemies III. I no longer have that one so I can't check. On the other hand at that time Naked Advantges weren't really legal either.

I was thinking that, instead of a quiver, the character has the arrows stored in a tesseract pocket in his right glove. He could theoretically create an arrow and jab someone with it rather than shooting it from the bow. I was thinking this would be bought by making the arrows a multipower with No Range and IIF Glove, then either:

1. Buying the Ranged advantage for the MP with the OAF Bow, which I'm pretty sure isn't legal, or

2. Buying off the No Range disadvantage through the Focus (halving the points returned), but I'm almost positive that's not legal.

How would you do this? Edit: I only speak 5E; if you use any 6E lingo, please translate. :)

Steve Long explicitly posted that the Limitation buyoff method was legal under 5E. I can try to find the post if you want, or you can take my word. ;)

By the default rules, it is. OTOH Steve put a Naked Armor Piercing Advantage for STR in a Multipower in his write-up for Temblor, of the Crowns of Krim, in Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks (noting that this is a "GM permission" construct). I figure if it's good enough for the Big Kahuna, it's good enough for us peons. ;)

One mechanical, one not.

Second question ... are there any good archery names that aren't already taken? For the record, I consider any (Color) Arrow or (Color) Bowman names covered already. :)

Rainbow Archer was originally built with the bow being only a ranged effect for the arrows, which were all no range attacks.

I have a vigilante/villain in my never-to-be-run Champions game named Bowhunter. He's basically a mash-up of the Punisher and Longbow Hunters era Green Arrow.

Don't forget the always popular Yeoman. Though you may consider that already done form Wild Cards.

Many years ago, I was in a D&D campaign, and we had two hirelings for ranged support. Yeoman Bowman was a god. He dished out damage like a professional sniper. His friend, Arrow Lad, well, he cost us a lot in bowstrings. So Yeoman Bowman would be my vote, since it seems to have some good karma associated with it.

Other thoughts (mostly from a quick Google on "glossary of archery terms":

Arc (the root word for archery, sending the arrow in an arc)

Bodkin: A three bladed broadhead arrow.

Broadhead: A hunting arrow, but the name will draw jokes

Fletch: So you can model your character after Chevy Chase

Lady Paramount: A lady assistant to the field captain. In charge of the women's shooting line or division in a tournament.

Nocks: The grooves at the tips of the limbs of a bow into which the bow string is fitted, also the slot at the feathered end of an arrow.

Point Blank: The act of aiming directly at the target.

Rover: An archer who engages in field shooting.

Shaft: He's a mean mutha- SHUT YO' MOUTH - I'm just talkin' bout Shaft.

Spiral: The curved position in which the feathers are attached to the arrow shaft.

Steele: Same as shaft. So you can model your character after Pierce Brosnan.

Paradox: From the term Archer's Paradox

Daikyu: A japanese long bow. Noted for the grip not being at the center of the bow stave (asymmetrical).

Draw: from Draw Weight, the number of pounds of force required to draw the bow 28 inches. Also great potential for introductions: "Who are you?" "Draw".

Gungdo: The Korean practice of archery

Hankyu: A short Japanese bow. Also asymmetrical, like the Daikyu.

• 2 weeks later...