Help naming characters? (Teen Champions)

Shadow Hawk

I'm trying my luck at writing fiction again, and am doing a story set at the Ravenwood Academy (Teen Champions). My cast of characters are include...

(All characters are freshmen, about 14 years old)

1. John Guzman: a burgeoning gadgeteer. John's older brother was killed in Iraq when he was spotted behind enemy lines during the initial invasion. John has built a 'stealth suit' (invisibility all sight, armor, flight) and was caught testing it (not as invisible as he thought, plus the high endurance cost run down the batteries). Smart, shy, "geek". Mexican American from Los Angeles, his family has lived in California since the 1820's.

2. Lisa Oh: a telekinetic mutant lacking control, her only power currently is projecting bolts of force. She has little control yet (activation roll, beam, gets between 0 and 12 dice per attack). Immature and enthusiastic. Korean descent, American from birth, and a only child. Born in Seattle.

3. Theresa Murphy: a brick, Theresa gained her powers two years ago after a chemical spill in her Chicago neighborhood. She hung out with The Protectors for a while as thier kid sidekick, and is only attending Ravenwood because she's been promised a spot on the team after she graduates. She truly wishes to be a superhero, and will be the one most likely to push (or drag) the others into teen superheroic hijinks. African American from Chicago. (Strength 35-45, bulletproof)

4. William van Bleek: a mystic. The son of the evil necromancer Count Skull aka The Zombie Master. Found as a 8 year old child in the wreckage of the Zombie Master's sanctum/villianous hideout after the battle with the Bay Guardians killed the Zombie Master and broke up his horde of undead horrors. Already educated in magic by his father, he has since been raised by a series of foster homes until he was old enough to attend Ravenwood. While others worry that he will take a dark path, he says he is not interested. "I am not my father. My father was a fool." He's convinced that trying to take over the world is a waste of time, (and that 'defending the world' is just as bad). He has a great deal of money in a trust fund (the courts have ruled that it cannot be seized for his father's crimes). Arrogant and disdainful of his 'lessors'. (Magic pool, a defensive force field).

5. Eunice Bingham: a weretiger. Born in 1890 Birmingham Alabama to upper middle class parents, Eunice was given a magnificent jeweled necklace known as "The Tiger's Eye" by her father. Unknown to either of them, the necklace was a magic artifact. Assaulted by ruffians, Eunice unknowingly activated the magic and was transformed into a tiger. She would spend the next hundred years as part of a traveling circus, unable to change back. When the circus went bankrupt a few years ago, someone looked at the records and realized that the 'trained tiger' was the same animal from 1900! It took a few years to discover how to 'cure' Eunice. The artifact is gone, and now Eunice finds that under stress she turns into a tiger, but it's much easier to turn into a tiger than turn back to human. Her attitutes are a hundred years out of date, and now she's in a prep school for metahumans. (Multiform: Tiger, normal girl)

So, suggestions for Nom de Capes? I already have some in mind, but don't like them, it seems I keep using the same names over and over in my writing and would like some variaty.

Re: Help naming characters? (Teen Champions)

To be honest, I am not good with names since I stick with the obvious things but I will give it a try

1)1. John Guzman: a burgeoning gadgeteer. John's older brother was killed in Iraq when he was spotted behind enemy lines during the initial invasion. John has built a 'stealth suit' (invisibility all sight, armor, flight) and was caught testing it (not as invisible as he thought, plus the high endurance cost run down the batteries). Smart, shy, "geek". Mexican American from Los Angeles, his family has lived in California since the 1820's.

Mr. Invisible, Flying Snipe, Proto.

2) Lisa Oh: a telekinetic mutant lacking control, her only power currently is projecting bolts of force. She has little control yet (activation roll, beam, gets between 0 and 12 dice per attack). Immature and enthusiastic. Korean descent, American from birth, and a only child. Born in Seattle.

Lo-down, Popgun, Fireworks.

3) Theresa Murphy: a brick, Theresa gained her powers two years ago after a chemical spill in her Chicago neighborhood. She hung out with The Protectors for a while as thier kid sidekick, and is only attending Ravenwood because she's been promised a spot on the team after she graduates. She truly wishes to be a superhero, and will be the one most likely to push (or drag) the others into teen superheroic hijinks. African American from Chicago. (Strength 35-45, bulletproof)

Murph, The Fist, The Brick, Shilleagh

4)William van Bleek: a mystic. The son of the evil necromancer Count Skull aka The Zombie Master. Found as a 8 year old child in the wreckage of the Zombie Master's sanctum/villianous hideout after the battle with the Bay Guardians killed the Zombie Master and broke up his horde of undead horrors. Already educated in magic by his father, he has since been raised by a series of foster homes until he was old enough to attend Ravenwood. While others worry that he will take a dark path, he says he is not interested. "I am not my father. My father was a fool." He's convinced that trying to take over the world is a waste of time, (and that 'defending the world' is just as bad). He has a great deal of money in a trust fund (the courts have ruled that it cannot be seized for his father's crimes). Arrogant and disdainful of his 'lessors'. (Magic pool, a defensive force field).

Kid Skull, The Ghost Prince, The Zombie Shield.

5)Eunice Bingham: a weretiger. Born in 1890 Birmingham Alabama to upper middle class parents, Eunice was given a magnificent jeweled necklace known as "The Tiger's Eye" by her father. Unknown to either of them, the necklace was a magic artifact. Assaulted by ruffians, Eunice unknowingly activated the magic and was transformed into a tiger. She would spend the next hundred years as part of a traveling circus, unable to change back. When the circus went bankrupt a few years ago, someone looked at the records and realized that the 'trained tiger' was the same animal from 1900! It took a few years to discover how to 'cure' Eunice. The artifact is gone, and now Eunice finds that under stress she turns into a tiger, but it's much easier to turn into a tiger than turn back to human. Her attitutes are a hundred years out of date, and now she's in a prep school for metahumans. (Multiform: Tiger, normal girl)

Weretiger, Bengal, Old Stripe.

CES

3)

I'm trying my luck at writing fiction again, and am doing a story set at the Ravenwood Academy (Teen Champions). My cast of characters are include...

(All characters are freshmen, about 14 years old)

1. John Guzman: a burgeoning gadgeteer. John's older brother was killed in Iraq when he was spotted behind enemy lines during the initial invasion. John has built a 'stealth suit' (invisibility all sight, armor, flight) and was caught testing it (not as invisible as he thought, plus the high endurance cost run down the batteries). Smart, shy, "geek". Mexican American from Los Angeles, his family has lived in California since the 1820's.

Recon, Viewpoint, Optic

2. Lisa Oh: a telekinetic mutant lacking control' date=' her only power currently is projecting bolts of force. She has little control yet (activation roll, beam, gets between 0 and 12 dice per attack). Immature and enthusiastic. Korean descent, American from birth, and a only child. Born in Seattle.[/quote']

Sounds like a Psybolt to me... :)

Hm, lets see... I liked the Fireworks name mentioned earlier. Maybe Thunder.

3. Theresa Murphy: a brick' date=' Theresa gained her powers two years ago after a chemical spill in her Chicago neighborhood. She hung out with The Protectors for a while as thier kid sidekick, and is only attending Ravenwood because she's been promised a spot on the team after she graduates. She truly wishes to be a superhero, and will be the one most likely to push (or drag) the others into teen superheroic hijinks. African American from Chicago. (Strength 35-45, bulletproof)[/quote']

Murphy's Law, Brawn, Madame Samson,

4. William van Bleek: a mystic. The son of the evil necromancer Count Skull aka The Zombie Master. Found as a 8 year old child in the wreckage of the Zombie Master's sanctum/villianous hideout after the battle with the Bay Guardians killed the Zombie Master and broke up his horde of undead horrors. Already educated in magic by his father' date=' he has since been raised by a series of foster homes until he was old enough to attend Ravenwood. While others worry that he will take a dark path, he says he is not interested. "I am not my father. My father was a fool." He's convinced that trying to take over the world is a waste of time, (and that 'defending the world' is just as bad). He has a great deal of money in a trust fund (the courts have ruled that it cannot be seized for his father's crimes). Arrogant and disdainful of his 'lessors'. (Magic pool, a defensive force field).[/quote']

I like the last name. Have him be Bleak or some form of that. (Mr. Bleak, Dr. Bleak etc)

5. Eunice Bingham: a weretiger. Born in 1890 Birmingham Alabama to upper middle class parents' date=' Eunice was given a magnificent jeweled necklace known as "The Tiger's Eye" by her father. Unknown to either of them, the necklace was a magic artifact. Assaulted by ruffians, Eunice unknowingly activated the magic and was transformed into a tiger. She would spend the next hundred years as part of a traveling circus, unable to change back. When the circus went bankrupt a few years ago, someone looked at the records and realized that the 'trained tiger' was the same animal from 1900! It took a few years to discover how to 'cure' Eunice. The artifact is gone, and now Eunice finds that under stress she turns into a tiger, but it's much easier to turn into a tiger than turn back to human. Her attitutes are a hundred years out of date, and now she's in a prep school for metahumans. (Multiform: Tiger, normal girl)[/quote']

Tiger Beat... (just kidding),

Call her Bast like the Egyptian god. Or Carnal

For the gadgeteer with the stealth suit, perhaps one the Spanish names for ghost, phantom, stealth or wraith. I like Psybolt for the telekinetic. For the brick as Stalwart and Steadfast are already taken in the Champions Universe, how about Resolute or Indomitable to reflect her drive as well as her strength? For the mystic, I like some variation of Bleak as well. It seems to reflect his cynical attitude and last name. As for your last member, my only suggestion is the Tigress. I hope you'll post more about them. they sound interesting.

1. John Guzman: a burgeoning gadgeteer.

I like Recon for this, especially if his brother was a Marine in Force Recon. Kinda an homage to his big brother.

2. Lisa Oh: a telekinetic mutant lacking control

I'm kinda liking csyphrett's "Lo-down"

3. Theresa Murphy: a brick

Thremur (kinda a combo of her names, sounding a bit like "tremor")

4. William van Bleek: a mystic.

Since it seems his past and abilities are somewhat publicly known, I agree with Psybolt -- Bleak.

5. Eunice Bingham: a weretiger.

Why not "Tiger's Eye" after the necklace?

Ok, there are some great suggestions here, but I get the feeling some of you have... well, never mind, let me see if I can explain this better.

Ravenwood Academy is a school, with a school within a school for metahumans. Metahumans attending the school (about 4-6 per grade level) are assigned 'codenames' to help them get used to the idea. The names are assigned by the staff, not picked by the students. So, for van Bleek, they'd be worried about him turning 'to the dark side' like his father, and wouldn't give him any name that might imply anything. Also, he has no talent for necromancy, and doesn't use those spells, in spite that being his father's specialty (and being trained by his father).

Other than that, there have been great suggestions here, and I'll let you know what I (playing the part of the headmistress) pick.

Ah, understood. I was thinking the individuals chose their own names. My error.

Well, I'd still stick with my suggestions for Guzman (Recon) and Bingham (Tiger's Eye).

For Oh, maybe something like Kinetics, though Psybolt does fit rather well.

With Murphy, you could try Bulwark or Aegis. (Given her past and presumed future connection to the Protectors, I was looking for words like "protect.")

For van Bleek, I'd try something like Sortilegus (Latin root for "sortilege", meaning magic or sorcery).

John Guzman, gadgeteer with a stealth suit: Espíritu

jms gets the credit for this inspiration.

Lisa Oh, the telekinetic with control issues: Impact

Personal friend came up with this, and I like it.

Theresa Murphy, a brick and wannabe hero: Ma'at

This is a riff off of Bolo's and DocSamson's suggestions of Aegis and Amazon. I like names taken from myth, but decided to go with the more African (well, Egyptian) myths than the Greek myths they suggested. Ma'at is the goddess of Justice and truth.

William van Bleek, mystic and arrogant ass: Wiz Kid

Doctor Agenda suggested this for the gadgeteer. But this was the hardest to nail down, an required a lot of thought. Van Bleek is the son and grandson of evil sorcerers (and maybe further back as well), so the Ravenwood staff would want to avoid anything that sounded evil. And it made me think of 'what style of magic' does he use? Yes, his father the villian taught him, but what was he taught, and what does he use? And it came out that he's something of a elementalist, summoning up barriers of ice, bolts of fire, flight by controlling the wind, etc. "Wiz Kid" was selected by the staff both to reflect his learning (wizard = wise, learned) and to deflate his ego. I've already got the scene where he's told what his codename is half plotted...

Eunice Bingham, weretiger: Tiger

"Tigress" has been used by several comic book characters, and I'm trying to avoid feminizing names just because the character's female. "Tiger's Eye" (written as Tigereye) was my first choice, but it's too long. Bengal was good, too, but didn't work for me. Eunice is going to be 'fish out of water' sometimes, she grew up in a place and time that was one of the most racist in history (Jim Crow era Alabama). Between Theresa (the only one who could face her tiger form in a fair fight) being a strong black woman, and the only white male being Van Bleek (and him being a horrible cynic).

The relationships between the characters should be interesting: John is shy and withdrawn, Lisa is 'normal', Theresa is outgoing to the point of brash, William's a jerk, and Eunice is a racist prude. These people would NOT be friends in normal circumstances (well, maybe Lisa and Theresa). But forced together by the one thing they have in common...

Looks like I'm late to the party but why should that stop me.

Staff assigned names would tend to avoid what might be considered racial profiling and any sort of pigeonholing. Most of Danielle Moonstar's codenames from when she was in The New Mutants suffered from this. So Mr. Guzman's powerset and ethnic background do suggest fantasma, or Spanish for ghost, but I would suggest anglicizing it to Phantasm.

The immature and enthusiastic Ms. Oh I would probably label Shove or Backlash.

Theresa's powers suggest little as they are so common, so we have to reference her background and personality. What about Luvabull, the name for the Chicago Bulls' cheerleaders?

I would be tempted to call Mr. van Bleek Griffin, hoping that he chooses that Hogwart house's path rather than slithering after his father's footsteps.

For the anachronistic Ms. Bingham I would be tempted to call her Tigerlily, after the princess in Peter Pan, or Bagheera, after the panther in The Jungle Book. Yeah, yeah, I know, not a tiger but Shere Khan doesn't work for a girl for me. :) Peter Pan was published after Eunice joined the circus but just barely (1911) but could have been read to her in her cage or her birthdate could be fudged slightly. The Jungle Book was published 1894. Or if the teachers want to drag her into the 21st Century you could go with Catgirl.

John Guzman' date=' gadgeteer with a stealth suit: [b']Tech Ghost[/b]

jms gets the credit for this inspiration, and Casual Player for pointing out something that I should have already known.

Lisa Oh, the telekinetic with control issues: Impact

Personal friend came up with this, and I like it.

Theresa Murphy, a brick and wannabe hero: Paladin

Via a internet thesaurus search for synomyns of Guardian and Protector.

William van Bleek, mystic and arrogant ass: Wiz Kid

Doctor Agenda suggested this for the gadgeteer. But this character was the hardest to nail down, an required a lot of thought. Van Bleek is the son and grandson of evil sorcerers (and maybe further back as well), so the Ravenwood staff would want to avoid anything that sounded evil. And it made me think of 'what style of magic' does he use? Yes, his father the villian taught him, but what was he taught, and what does he use? And it came out that he's something of a elementalist, summoning up barriers of ice, bolts of fire, flight by controlling the wind, etc. "Wiz Kid" was selected by the staff both to reflect his learning (wizard = wise, learned) and to deflate his ego. I've already got the scene where he's told what his codename is half plotted...

Eunice Bingham, weretiger: Tiger

"Tigress" has been used by several comic book characters, and I'm trying to avoid feminizing names just because the character's female. "Tiger's Eye" (written as Tigereye) was my first choice, but it's too long. Bengal was good, too, but didn't work for me. Eunice is going to be 'fish out of water' sometimes, she grew up in a place and time that was one of the most racist in history (Jim Crow era Alabama). Between Theresa (the only one who could face her tiger form in a fair fight) being a strong black woman, and the only white male being Van Bleek (and him being a horrible cynic).

The relationships between the characters should be interesting: John is shy and withdrawn, Lisa is 'normal', Theresa is outgoing to the point of brash, William's a jerk, and Eunice is a racist prude. These people would NOT be friends in normal circumstances (well, maybe Lisa and Theresa). But forced together by the one thing they have in common...

Casual Player has a point about 'racial profiling', all names should be standard English without reference to race, language, continent of origin, or religion or whatever. So, John Guzman becomes "Tech Ghost" to refer to both his powers and thier origin, while Theresa Murphy becomes "Paladin" via a look at a online thesaurus for synomyns for "Guardian" or "Protector". Which brings to mind a amusing scene where someone calls Theresa "Black Paladin" and she points out "that's a villian, so please don't call me that."

(Pet peeve: how many comic book characters had the word 'black' added to the front of thier name because the character was black? Black Lightning, Black Panther, Black Titan, Black Sampson... sorry, not needed, you can see that he's black, there's no need to point it out.)

No character names are final until I actually start writing, hopefully on Tuesday. So suggestions are still welcome.

A few suggestions (pardon me if some of these already exist in CU, I'm not read up on it):

1. Gizmo, Tick-Tock, Mechanic, Camo, Blackbird (after the SR-71)

2. Thumper, Impulse, Smackdown

3. Kevlar, Reliant, Ironclad,

4. Skywalker (I will not turn to the dark side), Sage, Scholar, Adept, Talent, Potter (FT-pop culture-W)

5. Catseye, Blake (from his poem Tyger Tyger), The Lady (from the 'Lady or the Tiger' by Frank R. Stockton), Traveler

I definitely like Tech Ghost for the gadgeteer. The point you make about the mystic is well put. Perhaps for an ironic twist, a codename that is the opposite of his cynicism and reflects his mentor's hopes that he'll be at least somewhat the opposite of his father? A variation of any of the following: optimism, hope, brightness. I do have one small quibble about the codename Tiger. It belonged to one of the heroes that perished in the Battle of Detroit. Perhaps you could add a descriptive adjective? Example: Golden Tiger. I look forward to finding out what you finally come up with.

Casual Player has a point about 'racial profiling'' date=' all names should be standard English without reference to race, language, continent of origin, or religion or whatever.[/quote']

Oh, I agree completely.

But naming is not always done in accord with the character, Teen-Heroes are especially endangered here.

Sometimes if the Character is reluctant to stay and talk to the press and such they do it for one, or their "Peers" do it for them.

Oh, I agree completely.

But naming is not always done in accord with the character, Teen-Heroes are especially endangered here.

Sometimes if the Character is reluctant to stay and talk to the press and such they do it for one, or their "Peers" do it for them.

In the campaign/story setting (Stolen from 5th edition Teen Champions 'Ravenwood Academy') our teen heroes are assigned names by the staff. Worse, they aren't suppossed to be superheroing in public and the school rules specifically prohibit this... of course, they'll violate the rules, but they'd have to be really foolish to stick around and talk to the press afterwords... of course, they are teenagers with all the common sense that implies.

Which leads me to the thought that if they do the smart thing and NOT talk to the press, the press will likely 'assign' them names... (Spider Man movie, "Green Goblin" was named by J. Jonah Jameson, not by Norman Osborn).