Your "2011" Pet Gaming Projects

TheQuestionMan

Re: Your "2011" Pet Gaming Projects

How are "Your "2011" Pet Gaming Projects" coming along?

1. Terracide - Star Hero Sourcebook? Hpw is the manuscript?

2. Flames of Varkolak - Kamaranthin Fantasy Hero Adventure? What is it about.

3. Shadow of Angelus - Kazei 5 Hero Support? Bet Susano wants to know too.

Cheers

QM

How are "Your "2011" Pet Gaming Projects" coming along?

1. Terracide - Star Hero Sourcebook? Hpw is the manuscript?

2. Flames of Varkolak - Kamaranthin Fantasy Hero Adventure? What is it about.

3. Shadow of Angelus - Kazei 5 Hero Support? Bet Susano wants to know too.

Cheers

QM

I've finished the draft of Terracide and sent it to Blackwyrm. It's probably too *&^%$#@! long, but if I had another year to write, it would be even longer. I keep getting more ideas and new details to add -- it's one of those things that'll never really be "finished" in my mind, but at some point I have to quit screwing around and say OK, here it is. I heard an excellent quote from Babylon 5's J. Michael Straczynski: "Artwork is never completed, only abandoned." For me, Terracide proves his point.

The Kamaranthin adventure is on the back burner until later this year. It's a horror/fantasy tale about a group of adventurers investgating a string of bloody murders in the city of Trin. Beyond that, I don't want to spoil anything. (What's "Flames of Varkorlak"?)

The Shadows Angelus story is a collaboration with Susano, but lately we've both been too busy to work on it. Hopefully we'll both have some time to finish it up later this year. It's a story about two of our old characters from the Shadows Angelus II campaign: an "enemy-mine" story in which Susano's old character is temporarily teamed up with her old rival. Mayhem ensues and stuff blows up.

My next set of projects will be two or three more adventures for GenCon; two of them will be all-new Terracide adventures; I'm not sure if there'll be a third. I'm considering something set in the 'far future' of the Kazei 5 universe, or finishing up an old project: my Black Lagoon/Blue Planet mash-up, in which 'expy' versions of the Black Lagoon (anime) characters are transplanted to the Blue Planet rpg. Mayhem ensues and stuff blows up.

So I've got a bit of work to do between now and GenCon....

Flames of Varkolak - Kamaranthin Fantasy Hero Adventure? What is it about.

I guess I should dispel any confusion about this before it spreads further. The Flames of Varkolak have nothing to do with the world of Kamaranthin. As I posted upthread, they're a major evil cult I've been working on for a campaign set in Hero Games's Atlantean Age setting; although they should translate pretty easily to any high-fantasy setting that could use worshippers of a malevolent dragon-god. (And which one doesn't?) ;) It arose out of several things I noticed about the setting: the absence of any followers of the Dragon, in the Hero Universe the primordial source of the greatest evil in the human spirit; the unexplained attack on Atlantis by the gigantic dragon Varkolak, which took three of the demigod Ten Brothers of Atlantis to bring down; and the lack of major rivals or threats on the Atlantis-controlled continent of Pelasgar. It occurred to me that synthesizing these elements could produce a significant menace to liven up that part of the world. :eg: Let me just run through a few of the salient points, and perhaps I'll post more later if I have time and if there's interest.

The Flames of Varkolak is an organization that reveres the Dragon under the name Varkolak. According to its doctrine, the divine dragon breathes into every human the fire of life, filled with desires, passions, and impulses. Varkolak's plan was for humans to freely express their desires in whatever manner they choose; but the other, lesser gods sought to enslave mankind, to make humans the servile followers of their decrees. And so the lesser gods banded together and treacherously trapped Varkolak beneath the Sharakkian Mountains, the mighty range that nearly divides the continent of Pelasgar. The Flames are devoted to freeing their god, either by loosing the bonds that confine him, or by breeding a dragon mighty enough to serve as host and avatar for his spirit. The Varkolak that attacked Atlantis was the cult's first attempt at this, but they hope to one day raise an even greater dragon that will be unstoppable. Once Varkolak is loose in the world he will cast down the worship of the other gods, and mankind will once again live in freedom.

However, the cult's doctrine is really a rationalization and excuse for them to indulge all the basest, most corrupt desires that the Dragon encourages in the human psyche. The Flames of Varkolak actively promote evil and corruption wherever they have influence, to increase the power of Varkolak and undermine the moral foundation of the worship of the gods (and because they and the Dragon simply love to work evil). In the current Age of the world, Atlantis, as the greatest force for order, is the principle target of their efforts. Ironically, the Flames were originally a small, obscure sect before the conquest of Pelasgar by the Atlanteans. The increased trade and travel that their imposed peace fostered allowed the Flames to spread, and the simmering resentment of their conquered subjects provided the fuel on which the cult has fed.

The Flames of Varkolak are headquartered in a secret cavern complex near the northern end of the Sharakkian Mountains, between the headwaters of the easterly-flowing Markalena River and the westerly Angettor. The cult teaches that these rivers are Varkolak's tears -- tears not of sadness, but of rage. Within the deepest part of the complex is an enormous chamber called the Maw of Varkolak, the focus of the Flames' worship. Studded with gigantic stalactites and stalagmites resembling teeth, one end of the Maw opens into a huge volcanic chimney, said to lead directly to Varkolak's throat. The cultists gather there for major rituals, particularly the casting of enemies and traitors into the fires of the chimney to feed their souls to Varkolak.

Despite its avowed philosophy of anarchy, the leadership of the Flames of Varkolak keeps its members fairly tightly controlled and focussed on their goals (which is considered an unfortunate necessity until their god is free). Above the common Flames (who refer to each other as "Flame-Brother" or "Flame-Sister") are spell-wielding mage-priests called the Flame-Keepers, who interpret the will of their god and wield powers granted by him. In addition, the cult has many special agents known as Dark Flames. The Dark Flames are trained in arts of spying, infiltration, persuasion, and demagogry. They insinuate themselves into the societies of the wider world, learning their weaknesses and seeking positions of influence, so that they can nourish and channel existing fears, hatreds, jealousies, and lusts.

The human members of the Flames of Varkolak treat dragons as their equals and brothers, the direct spawn of their god. Due to their avatar breeding program, the Sharakkian Mountains are home to many more dragons than the Atlanteans suspect. If the Flames are ever called upon to stand and fight, dragons and humans battle side by side. Soldiers of the cult are often armed with potent weapons and armor made from dragon body parts. Unlike other humans who typically obtain such items by slaying the great creatures, the Flames harvest them only from the natural molting of growing dragons, or those who have died due to age or misadventure. The Flame-Keepers are also the only human magicians to have learned secret spells of dragon magic.

Not all those who are cast into the fiery Maw of Varkolak are enemies or traitors. Some are devout worshippers of Varkolak who choose the fire when accused of some crime, as the ultimate test of their innocence; or whose extreme faith prompts them to offer themselves to the god. Most such people are consumed body and soul, but a very few whose devotion is strongest survive with their bodies intact. However, their spirits have been completely supplanted by the evil essence of the Dragon, making them little more than the vessels of his vile will. These "blessed" ones, who have never numbered more than five at any one time, are given the title Resplendent Flame, and are greatly revered by all the Flames. They act as the eyes and ears of the Dragon on Earth, and can channel his power in unique and formidable ways. The supreme leader of the Flames of Varkolak is and can only be one of the Flame-Keepers who has survived the test of the Maw. This person is the Breath of Varkolak, believed to speak the words of the god. Few dragons have been subjected to this test, and to date only one has survived, he who became the Dragon's avatar and attacked Atlantis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'll refrain from posting anything regarding 2012 until the *official* 2012 thread is posted. All I can say is that it looks pretty bleak right now. I have had zero impetus to actually game lately. Hoping that after the holidays my work schedule will calm down a bit. Maybe then.

I have had ideas lately though. That is a bit better than nothing. :)

Dark Champions (?): Cursed Columbia. Pulp Urban Fantasy Champions. I started a thread asking for suggestions in the Dark Champions board.

Didn't start this yet, got distracted by something involving a dimensional invasion by super-powered cowboys.

Done a lot of the preliminary work, for sure in 2012.

Well QM, I know you asked how it was going for me, and sorry for the long delay. (Part of which, I forgot which catagory this post was in.) I never did fininsh it, nor probally never will. It was fun, but when I realized that I'll never get to use it, makes me sad so I rather work on stuff that I'll use instead. Though all wasn't for naught, I got to play 3 times in my hometown, and one was a Pulp game so I used a bunch of stuff for my Pulp martial artist, the White Tiger. And I also ran a Ultimate Martial Artist game later this year and used a few things. So I'll put this on the backburner and work on it if I know that there will be a need for it next year. (And there just might be one). It seems to me that a lot of people like the martial arts and martial artists for games, but not a martial artist game.