Your favorite SF gear.

amanojaku

What gear do you frequently reach for in your SFRPG games?

Assuming the tech levels are right, say like in traveller or nBSG, I often reach for a 20mm gauss semi auto launcher that can be used as a shotgun when loaded with fletchette rounds, or as a light grenade launcher when loaded with HE or frag rounds, or even as an anti-vehicle weapon if loaded with a shaped charge type warhead, plus it can launch flares and smoke rounds.

It's a versatile weapon with a lot of uses, and not too heavy to carry around some ammo for, unlike the more potent but bulkier 40mm version. Also the 20mm version is more of a personal weapon than a heavy weapon, you can get away with calling it a shotgun.

Here's a link to the real world inspiration for it, just imagine it in a gauss version with a fletchette round as typical ammo, along with slug and more powerful versions and you've got it!

I have an odd fondness for gyrojet/gyroc weapons, the solid fuel rocket bullet, especially if they might have multiple types of ammo.

When it comes to energy weapons I don't mind a good laser, as lasers are often versatile and useful devices. A good, advanced laser can be used as a signal device by setting the focus to wide dispersion, and can be linked to a communication system, set to low power, constant beam modulated by input from a communication device and turned into a tight beam signaller.

The power guns from drake's Hammer's Slammers are so detailed in description I don't have many problems with them in moderately advanced tech settings.

As to vehicles, I've never gotten to use one but I liked the colonial raptor from battlestar galactica. Lovely little ship, very practical and useful, just the right size for a PC group...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Your favorite SF gear.

Assuming the tech level allows it, I always go for the nanotech "smartsuit" from L. Neil Smith's libertarian SF novels. Fits like a glove, extremely resistant to damage, provides resistance to vacuum and most any hostile environment, includes an extensive array of enhanced senses, and increased strength, and..well, it's just terrific. Plus, it can alter it's color, texture and shape to simulate almost any kind of clothing so you don't look out of place.

And, of course, no smartsuit is complete without an implant computer (either the sort used in Smith's novels, or the BrainPal from John Scalzi's fiction) to give you absolute control of the suit--as well as electronic "telepathy" or mindlink, and everything else you could do with a computer--endless databases, entertainment, communication, etc.

That's easy. My favorite piece of gear in a SF setting will always be.... the multi-tool.

It cuts, it grips, it screws, it unscrews, it welds, and has the one thing that is of the up most importance to anyone out in space or unknown worlds, a can opener.

Since I have played a Jedi Ship's Mechanic, I have had a fondness for a variable length Light Saber. Damn thing is so versatile, and it cuts better than anything. Just the thing for cutting out melted Hyperspace Drives. Though I wonder what Yoda and the Jedi council would think of using a light saber for "common" labor ?

Outside of Star Wars, I like having a lightweight Environment suit (suitable for use in Vacuum)and nearly undetectable under regular clothing. Also if the setting allows, I like to have some light weight armor added to clothing, enough to stop a pistol round (or bolt)and keep it from killing me.

As for weapons, I used to have a fondness for Gauss weapons and blasters. Now, I like the reliability of good old fashioned Firearms (assuming powders that include an oxygenator for firing in Vac).

That's easy. My favorite piece of gear in a SF setting will always be.... the multi-tool.

It cuts, it grips, it screws, it unscrews, it welds, and has the one thing that is of the up most importance to anyone out in space or unknown worlds, a can opener.

Does that widget have a built-in DMM? 'Cause if it does, I know what I want for Christmas!

And here's a neat bonus tool, for those who get the joke:

The official Klein bottle opener...

98002BT_icon.jpg

...for opening Klein bottles, of course!

More gear worth having, in addition to the smartsuit and Brainpal:

The Flycycle: Think of a motorcycle with two yard wide spheres instead of wheels. The lower halves of the spheres contain the anti-grav engines. The upper halves provide storage. The flycycle can fly at Mach Several, with an integral forcefield to protect the rider from the wind.* It includes a hopper into which the intrepid explorer can stuff anything organic, and it can produce food bricks; not particularly tasty, but non-poisonous--no matter what the organic material--and nutritious, and can do so indefinitely. Water distiller as well. A "crash field" for...sudden stops, as well as airbags which will hold the rider in his seat even if the cycle turns turtle, make it exceptionally safe.

*Puppeteer built, even if a cyclist contrived to fall out of his seat (which looks impossible), the forcewall would hold him and allow him to climb back on....

Flashlight Laser: Produces a very powerful light, but you must be careful not to narrow the beam too much or it might cut through something.

Slaver Disintegrator: Looks like a double-barrelled sawed-off shotgun. One barrel fires a beam that suppresses the charge on electrons--thereby causing whatever it's pointed at to disintegrate a layer at a time. Using both barrels causes an explosive reaction. So don't do that.

But . . . everything in a Klein bottle is already outside it!

And vice-versa. Therefore, you need a Klein bottle opener to let yourself out of the Klein bottle if you wish to access its contents. (Those tricky *&^%$#@ Klein bottles....)

Somewhat related to the Klein bottle opener is another piece of SF gear I'd love to get my hands on: the Non-Orientable Wormhole. Normal matter goes in -- anti-matter comes out. On the usefulness scale, it's right up there with duct tape. And towels.

Examples I like from canon include:

M41A pulse rifle with 10mm explosive tipped caseless standard light armor piercing rounds and over-and-under 30mm pump action grenade launcher (Aliens)

--because I like basic full automatic slugthrowers over ray guns

Phased plasma rifle in the 40W range (Terminator)

--unless the ray guns are full auto

Weirding modules (Dune)

--because not just anyone can use one

Tron discs (the first Tron)

--an effective weapon that isn't a gun or a sword!

Powered armor (Starship Troopers)

--this is a lie. I hated this book.

Examples I like from gaming include:

Sack full of laser pistols (Star Frontiers)

--because you can dial them all the way up to fire the entire power pack as one huge 10d10 shot that will kill or cripple anything in the game

FGMP (Traveller)

--I believe the Fusion Gun Man Portable is just about the most firepower one person can carry in any SF game I've seen

Psi Helmets (Traveller)

--Elegant and effective. Except for the elegant part. But whatever.

Noise Marine Sonic Blaster (WH40K)

--Killing good guys with the power of ROCK. Waaay too overpowered.

Element Zero (Mass Effect series of video games) - While not in and of itself "gear" Element Zero is used in the construction of Mass Effect drives and is used to enable or enhance "biotic" (super) abilities. The prevalence of Mass Effect technology goes so far as to propel projectiles at extremely rapid rates, creating devastatingly powerful weapons.

Bio-gel (Mass Effect) - Technically any substance/technology that allows for the rapid regeneration of cell tissue. Bio-gel is just the most obvious because I am hooked on playing Mass Effect.

Cybernetic Enhancements/Replacements (multiple sub-genres and settings within the blanket of Sci Fi) - Who wouldn't want to be able to replace an arm or leg lost due to injury. Same with eyes and ears. I would personally enjoy having a Smartlink (Shadowrun) installed. Not to mention wired reflexes, muscle augmentation, and dermal armor.

Cloaking Field (Predator and a whole lot of folks since)- Yup. The ultimate sneakiness gear thing.

Nano Suits (Crysis) - Probably inspired by the ones mentioned in an earlier post. Allows for regenerative armor, enhanced speed and strength, and the aforementioned cloaking field.

Point Singularity Weapons (Unreal 2 and probably many other places) - Creates a micro singularity which rips nearby targets to shreds before collapsing in on itself. Note that this is one of the Biotic abilities mentioned above.

FTL Technology (too numerous to list) - I don't care how it is done, just that it is. I wanna see other stars and planets.

My characters always go for a Napalm Blister Blaster. For a backup weapon it is always a Bigger Napalm Blister Blaster.

I'm not sure why the bigger blister blaster is the backup blister blaster.

If the smaller one doesn't work' date=' use the bigger one. Obvious.[/quote']

The obvious reason to get both is they are cheaper if you buy them in the limited edition blister pack.