Remote control vehicles?

Mathew

Re: Remote control vehicles?

If you just want a homing beacon for the vehicle you could just use the Summon ability. This is how I built a beginning Batman's Bat Mobile as part of his Utility Belt.

8) Bat Vehicle Remote: Summon 60-point Bat Vehicles, 8 Recoverable Charges (+0), Expanded Class of Beings Very Limited Group (Bat Vehicles: Boat, Car and Jet; +1/4), Invisible to Sight Group, Source Only (+1/4), Slavishly Devoted (+1) (30 Active Points); Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), OIF (-1/2) Real Cost: 12

I didn't think Summon could be used to get a specific individual (or vehicle in this case); has that changed? The Computer with a program (Proceed to Batman's coordinates) seems like the best option to me. That said, if a player really wanted to use a Summon for this I would probably allow it.

It depends on the genre and optional rules. An AI would be the default method, but if you were using Cyberkinesis (which I don't) you can mind control the vehicle. Or in a more low powered heroic game, you could do it with equipment (probably built as a summon, or transmit sense, or mind control).

Considering self-driving cars are already in the early R&D stages, I'd say this is a more than hypothetical query, even for Hero System. A simple setup--a cheap computer with PS: Drive Vehicle, 11-, AK: local streets, 11- and a "mind link" to owner, through a focus, is probably the way to go. For a more sophisticated remote, you could add a number of commands, like "take evasive maneuvers" and "attack targets", plus Combat Driving/Piloting, Navigation, AKs etc.

Another option would be to give the remote operator a limited form of Mind Link with the vehicle. (Affected as Radio instead of Mental' date=' etc.)[/quote']

That is how I did it with my character DroneRunner, and it works quite well. Just remember to buy the transmitter, as well.

That is how I did it with my character DroneRunner' date=' and it works quite well. Just remember to buy the transmitter, as well.[/quote']

Pretty sure you don't need the Transmit adder on Mind Link unless something serious changed from 5E to 6E. With Mind Link everyone in the link can communicate with everyone else.

Did you have a computer to pilot the vehicle or just Mind Link straight to it? If the GM is fine with controlling a vehicle with Mind Link that's all well and good, but I think technically you would need a computer to operate the vehicle and the mind link lets you communicate/control the computer. (Or at least the vehicle would have to have it's own driving skills and what-not, otherwise you have a mind link with an inanimate hunk of machinery that is incapable of doing anything without its controls being physically manipulated).

That is how I did it with my character DroneRunner' date=' and it works quite well. Just remember to buy the transmitter, as well.[/quote']

Pretty sure you don't need the Transmit adder on Mind Link unless something serious changed from 5E to 6E. With Mind Link everyone in the link can communicate with everyone else.
I'm pretty sure he meant it the way he said it -- not the Transmit Adder, but the transmitter. You know, that device the operator holds to tell the vehicle what to do.

Ah' date=' a Focus for the Mind Link. That makes more sense, sorry. I guess the wording to "buy the transmitter as well" had me thinking that he meant to had to buy or pay more for something, not add a Limitation...[/quote']

I was, in fact, referring to the physical object, not the adder. This character does 'jack in' to the vehicle remotely, and controls it directly through the Mind Link (there's more to the build, but I won't go into that here). As for when the connection is severed (it uses RF), the vehicle simply comes naturally to a resting state and stays that way until the Link is re-established, so a Radio Flash is somewhat dangerous to this particular character.

And yes, 'naturally' may mean that it runs into a wall under its own momentum.