A complete character: discussion and stats from scratch for Champions

death tribble

New Year, new decade, new thread.

On the way to my Winter abode for the Christmas and New Year break I came up with a new name for a villain. And rather than just assign it to a picture I had a thought. Why not build it ? Why not make it a collaborative effort with the boards ?

So there is the idea. From a name to background history to stats and even a picture.

I should say that this will be a villain and when I put the name down, you'll know why.

Do not post stats and a history, just like that. I want to build this gradually. Let's start off with what you think of when you see the name and go from there

The name is Rex Homicide.

Re: A complete character: discussion and stats from scratch for Champions

First Impressions...

I think of a man sized T-Rex In a suit, tie and a hat (obviously his arms are human normal length as well.)...and a pair of shades.

This villain is a shape shifter, he can be a normal human anytime. But he lives to go on the hunt. with the change he doesn't need to worry about finger prints or the like.

Like the REX, his main weapon is his bite. He speaks eloquently. And can be hired for lone assassin type jobs. The bodies are never found, Rex ate them.

He's pretty tough. But when supers show up, REX can change yet again, into a full sized T-Rex! With Souped-up Stats enough to fight off a team of supers.

So REX is a villain with three forms, human, Reptilian, and Dino-Industrial size.

I would like to say more, but that would involve a back story and stuff you don't want just yet.

I read 'Rex' as Latin for king instead of a dinosaur link... so I picture a highly refined killer, probably from a royal line of (ancient of fictional country, or perhaps alien) that is sort of a gentleman 'great white hunter' type. With 'Homicide' right in his name, he isn't subtle. Publicly declaring his targets, high profile hunts with gobs of resources thrown at prominent or difficult targets. Maybe with specific knowledge and exploitation of targets weaknesses (kryptonite bullets and the like), and charismatic in a 'magnificent bastard' sort of way... regal and commanding despite the obvious dismissive attitude towards human life.

I read 'Rex' as Latin for king instead of a dinosaur link...

Just a tangential note: the Greek usage for "Rex" (as in Oedipus Rex) can also be translated as "tyrant", meaning a ruler who is not born of a noble house....Of course, in Oedipus case he was actually both..... :ugly:

-Carl-

I was thinking way over the top. The elemental spirit of homicide. Like the Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. Created at the scene of the first human murder and constantly present in the background in all eras of human society. He represents all that human hatred and animosity in a corporeal form.

I see someone who is dressed to the nines in the fashion of the day. Black suit with black shirt and blood red tie. Can be very handsome or lovely. No one says the spirit always has to manifest as a male. However, he has an frightening aura that tells you that he is a dangerous character. Very Saint of Killers. Can turn completely monstorous instantly, sort of like the vampire game face on Buffy.

Stats a bit shy of Taipan, with similar I can kill you with anything powers. He has to physically kill you, so no drains or death rays, but he gets insane to hit bonuses and called shots, so that theoretically you have to be very much on your game to avoid being killed outright. Prefers to kill close up because he generally has such an advantage, but can expertly use any weapon ever created in the history of mankind up to the point he manifests. In extreme cases, could use poison or something to accomplish the job, just usually doesn't need it. Can be very cold and calculating or brutal and unrestrained, just like people who commit murder. Will take contracts, but this is not always the case, sometime he is compelled to commit crimes of passion, or go through patterns of serial murder. Feeds of the psychic energy of killers, so he tends to manifest near big crime ridden cities.

Oh, and he's immortal. You can dispel him by killing him, but he will just manifest somewhere else. Tough to kill, but not impossible. More powerful the more murderers are around. Would be unstoppable in a place like a prison.

As a reply to Lapsedgamer what you are suggesting already exists. The Blood Red King in the Gestalt universe. Storn also did a full length pic of him and it is in the Storn thread if you want to take a look. The Blood Red King is the Spirit of Murder itself

As a reply to Lapsedgamer what you are suggesting already exists. The Blood Red King in the Gestalt universe. Storn also did a full length pic of him and it is in the Storn thread if you want to take a look. The Blood Red King is the Spirit of Murder itself

Very cool. I may pick that up so I don't have to spend too much time writing it up myself.

As regards Pizza Man's idea of a Dinosaur. You know I had not thought of that at all. Interesting.

Right now I would like to explore the idea of Rex being human. My own thoughts on this were that he would probably be Caucasian and sophisticated. It is unlikely that an (Asian) Indian or a Oriental would call themselves Rex. They could be African American but if so they would not be a street or low level ciminal.

Csyphret's, clsage and Naanomi's ideas could all blend into one.

Does anyone wish to dissent on Rex being anything other than sophisticated and give an argument as to why ?

Well... Rex Homicide would be "King Man-Killer" if taken by its literal roots. So I seen no reason for him to be sophisticated, just to be very, very good at his chosen profession, which is assassination. He could be a rough-and-ready mercenary, who doesn't need to put on airs, because he's just that good. Besides, as long as there are two people left in the world, someone is going to want someone else dead. I do see a master of all weapons, especially hand-to-hand weapons. Perhaps even non-weapon weapons, sort of like Jackie Chan meets the Punisher. Bad-Ass Long coat a must.

I checked the Gestalt threads and you said that you had picked up the PDF. Look up the part on the Blood Red King and be horrified' date=' he is that major and terrible a villain.[/quote']

Yep. I remembered that I had that on PDF last night and I looked at it again. Man, I haven't looked at that since I bought it in 2007. Nice book. Really well done. BRK is a great master villain. A little different than what I had in mind here, but very well done. Gordion from that book is actually closer, but still not on the nose.

I'm posting from my phone so this may read a bit weird.

I agree with the sophisticated well dressed concept. As well as the public nature of his kills. But I see a little more to it.

His need to kill is a psychological compulsion. He is not just good at killing. He defines killing. In formal battle, in brawls or as an assassin he has no equal for he is timeless. Across the ages he has had a compulsion to kill. And acted on it. Can he be killed? Yes. By force or trauma he may be killed, but he does not age and heals rapidly. Because of this he has poise and sophistication of one who truly has see all.

And he does not make announcments or challenges before a kill because he is arrogant. No, not at all. He is bored. For the kills pose no challenge. At the beginning he hunted the great beasts, then he hunted the solitary man and on to groups. Finally he even hunted those beings that rose above mere men.

But even that became old and routine. The kills come too easily and too quickly.

The solution? Warn the target you are coming. Give them clues of when and where.

And then strike.

But what will happen when even that becomes routine?

After reading through the thread I'd like to support the Noble Killer. Descended from a line or royal assassins I don't think Rex needs to be royalty himself but the kings personal assassin. Perhaps his bloodline fell out of favor after King James I unified the Crown. While the Royal Assassins continued to hone their craft and wait for the day when their services would be needed again Rex as he would be come to call himself broke with the family.

After four hundred and fifty years in virtual exile the latest heir to the Noble Killer's title has taken it upon himself to remove all royalty from the world. If the royals no longer need assassins the world no longer needs royals. His skills superb bordering on mystical while he is only a mortal man. He moves with the grace and precision of a dancer and can disappear even while you watch him. His mind and senses so tuned that he is never unprepared. And, he is completely psychotic.

Having broken with reality he sees only the hierarchies of society and how the strong oppress the weak. Those with too much power must be culled. Those without power must be tested and pushed to see their true potential. While a master of his craft he is more than willing to play with his targets. To see if they are deserving in his mind for death or of they may contribute something to the liberation of man from the oppression of the kings.

From the name I visualize a massively muscled former WWE/WWF/WWWTF wrestler who used to be the idol of millions but as age overtook him he was asked to do a heel turn to extend his career. After so many years of being looked up to and admired Rex Ironside couldn't handle the jeers and the boos and went off script, accidentally killing his opponent. The media crucified him and dubbed him Rex Homicide. Losing everything that mattered to him, Rex keeps making one bad decision after another trying to reclaim his former standing.

So we have a villain who may have been the hero's childhood hero, "I had your trading cards and lunch box!" and has done some impressive good in the past, raising millions for charities and giving selflessly of himself, who is now debasing himself for anyone who holds out any small chance of glory.

• 1 month later...

His SID is Cain. The first murderer.

EXACTLY what I was thinkng.

This implies a huge Damage Shield, such that any injury done to him will be suffered sevenfold.

Lucius Alexander

Rex Palindromedary

The best I can remember of a song by Julia Ecklar:

Suffer, my soul, for the hunt is not over;

The hounds follow me to the ends of the Earth.

Through blood death and pain, I follow my calling

A road I have trod since the day of my birth.

To tarry is folly, I wander forever

By the mark in my eyes, I've sealed my own fate.

And justice is blind, like the endless flow of time...

Time, is forever, I know.

Begone my false God, do not bait me with Your laughter!

You think me a pawn, of Your immortal whims

Mortality bores me, I deal it out forever

And my own soul is black with an eternity of sin

Look not for my mark, though my God has aptly placed it

It is stoked by the blood which has made it so strong

It's a double edged curse, my God's, and mine

At the whims of my Lord, and the dark whims of time

Time....is forever, I know

Forever, I pray Lord, and wait

Forever, I've learned how to hate.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wishes we still had that CD.

I got the name mixed up when I first saw it and thought of this ...

Homicide Rex: Once a centurion commander, the man now known as Homicide Rex is a brutal killer dressed in well-worn Roman armor and wearing a centurion's helmet with a skull faceplate. Is he dead? Is he alive? None know for sure, though the rumors tell of a man that was cursed when Rome fell and now walks the Earth as a cursed soul.