Champions legacy

Cageym

Re: Champions legacy

I'm an old Champions re-tread, myself. I started with the original Champions back in the 80's, when I was in the Fleet. I kept up with the game through v3, but dropped out until recently.

v.5 is still the game I knew, but I admit that v.6 Champions confuses me.

I discovered Champions during Spring Break 1982. I'd discovered V&V about six months before and one of my players had the issue of The Space Gamer magazine with "School Holiday" in it, which I paged through while we were driving somewhere. I was intrigued by the characters but unable to interpret the character write-ups, so I borrowed his copy of Champions (1st ed), which I subsequently bought off him for five bucks (I've still got it). I was hooked almost immediately, which caused a bit of a rift with my best friend, who didn't want to stop playing V&V (he came around).

It's been so long I can't remember how I found Champions, although I imagine I spotted it in the great gaming store of "Campaign Headquarters" in Norfolk, VA (which was still there a few years ago, when I visited Norfolk). I remember building my first character, Gleeman, with the usual beginner's mistake of putting too many points into his Foci.

Can't remember where and precisly when I started Champions. Probably early 80's, and no, I was not in the Navy. I probably picked it up at a gaming store called "Wanna play?" in Cincinnati. The owner always suggested something when I came in, and most of what he suggested was a gem. Darn it, he was a good merchant, I almost always spent too much money there.

I picked up Champions at Gamer's Paradise about 1-3 days after it was first released. I remember looking at the full-color front and back cover and saying to my brother, "Let's give it a try." Later, we saw the first release of "The Island of Dr. Destroyer". Didn't pick it up initially: we looked at his stats, compared it to ours and said "This guy is way too powerful". A week later, bought it anyways. :)

I discovered Champions during Spring Break 1982. I'd discovered V&V about six months before and one of my players had the issue of The Space Gamer magazine with "School Holiday" in it' date=' which I paged through while we were driving somewhere. I was intrigued by the characters but unable to interpret the character write-ups, so I borrowed his copy of Champions (1st ed), which I subsequently bought off him for five bucks (I've still got it). I was hooked almost immediately, which caused a bit of a rift with my best friend, who didn't want to stop playing V&V (he came around).[/quote']

Got this magazine as well. Ah, the magazine where villains had 4d6 HKA with Find Weakness on one side, and on the other side villains with a 5 PD and 5 ED (may have been less). It actually left something of a bad taste in my mouth but didn't spoil the game for me.

What do you "legacy" players say to updating our old Champions v1.0 characters to v5 or v6 and posting them here? We could create a new thread for "Legacy Heros" just to show how it was done back in the days of the original rules.

Oh, lord.

I remember some of those characters. 450 point monstrosities, no concept of balance, bricks with 100str and 50pd/ed fully resistant...

The first campaign(s) I ran, I restarted 4 times, trying to find a balance. The other GMs followed my lead (more or less).

My first character had a 90str and a 1d6hka, for a total of 7d6ka... oh, yeah, I'm a hero.

My first original character (the others were copies of Marvel Comics characters) was called Starfire*, and I learned why you don't put your energy blast, force field, and flight in the same multipower.

*I didn't read DC, I didn't know.

I'm not too proud of some of my early creations, either. Besides the strong "Mary Sue" aspects, they were entirely too one-dimensional. Gleeman could fight, as long as you didn't take his sword away. Multiplier couldn't fight at all except for his "Jack-in-the-Box" attack but was the "Superspy" par excellance.

I'm spending the morning updating them to v5 and finding that I can't recreate them as they were (the rules are just different enough; besides, I don't have their character sheets to hand) but I'm trying to build them as I would have built them, if v5 had been the rules at the time I first built these characters.

Sorry for the delay, I was o the road. I had a "disgruntled former soldier, experimented on" character that was my fav. I did well with him. Had a Wolverine type that was fun as well. I haven't played since the 80's. Every once in a while I'll come accross a sheet in my storage boxes*L* I did make my fav character pretty good after some time, using experience points.

Geez ... I think my first Champions character was a thief that robbed both UNTIL and Viper to build his own power suit. The suit enhanced his DEX, gave him armor and allowed him to use claws. After that, I made a Batman-esque character that was hunted by EVERYONE!! I think he had Hunted: UNTIL 14≤, Hunted: Viper 14≤, Hunted: Demon 11≤ and Hunted: Primus 11≤ ... and wouldn't you know it? They ALL showed up at once one game ... it was a nightmare ;)

These days, many of these old characters helped form the backbone of my campaign universe. The thief is retired and has a kid as one of the PCs now, and the Batman character is my campaigns answer to the Dark Knight.

My early characters sucked hideously. In my defence, the munchkinism in the group originated with some of the other players, who made it necessary for everyone else.

However, I could whip up a 6e version of my signature character, Assault. He was a 3rd edition character.

He has some deficiencies that I would normally patch up, but I'll do him pretty much as he was. I might give him a bit of running, because that was something I would have patched up if I had kept playing him.

He'll cost a lot because of the loss of figured characteristics, and can't hit the broad side of a barn, but he can take quite a bit of punishment.

I'm not sure what his original disads/complications were like, so I might just whip up some new ones.

While I'm at it, I might sketch up a 1e character, just for fun, and then convert him to 6e. He'll be the kind of character I would have liked to play but never got to due to the munchkin scourge.

I'll get first drafts done this afternoon, but they'll be on paper, not on computer, and it might take me a while to get around to typing them in.

EDIT: Here's a link to a modernised version of Assault I played briefly in a 5e PBEM a few years ago. I'll use it as a base for reconstructing the "original" version, and then converting it to 6e.

As an aside: I'd forgotten that powers used to cost 1 END per five points, rather than 1 END per 10. The change only happened in 4th Ed.

It certainly makes a difference.

I've been mucking about with a 1st edition character - I don't have any of my old ones prior to 3rd - but he's coming out rather point heavy. I'll have to give him lots of Disads, stick a limitation through most of his powers, or both. He's pretty neat though - I've Goodmanised the heck out of him.

As an aside: I'd forgotten that powers used to cost 1 END per five points, rather than 1 END per 10. The change only happened in 4th Ed.

It certainly makes a difference.

I've been mucking about with a 1st edition character - I don't have any of my old ones prior to 3rd - but he's coming out rather point heavy. I'll have to give him lots of Disads, stick a limitation through most of his powers, or both. He's pretty neat though - I've Goodmanised the heck out of him.

Also do get to 0 end you had to keep buying -1/4 half end till the end became .5 or less. Also Reduced Endurance is a power modifier, it's added to powers BEFORE you apply Advantages and Limitations.