Counter-stereotyping

Clonus

Re: Counter-stereotyping

Fire: Tightly disciplined and cool headed.

Intense training to avoid making mistakes and starting fires leads to the counter-stereotype leading a life of careful control.

Speed: Easy-going procrastinator

Patience learned from everything seeming to take forever, and the belief that there will always be plenty of time to do anything.

Stealth: Loudmouth

Loves to sneak up on people and then shout in their ear.

Healer: Sadist

You can inflict so much more pain when the damage is never permanent.

Brick: Subtle and manipulative

While there a lot of smart bricks, there are very few subtle ones. But why can't a mass of muscle be a calculating mind looking for the right buttons to press?

While yeah, you can probably find counter stereotype examples, these are pretty good (And I've made a speedster like that, and one brick I considered sneaky) and it's always fun to tinker around with the classic riffs, turn em upside down or sideways. Fun thread :thumbup:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subtle and manipulative (in the psychological sense) literally say "evil". But how could you build such a charater? Preferibly a good one...:think:

Sadly Doc Samson almost never tries to use psychology on his opponents. I suppose I see this idea as a character whose _powers_ are those of a brick, but who has the personality and skills of a spymaster and profiler, never deliberately going up against an opponent or recruiting an ally without extensive biographical research and a psychological profile built from it, knowing their motivations and fears.

I also seem to recall that Golden Age Champions had an obese speedster.

Yes. That Italian supervillains in World War II usually have some kind of jokey element about them reflecting Mussolini's poor performance and inferior position in the alliance is a stereotype in itself, I suppose.

Perry Mason and Matlock are good examples of lawyers with different ways of doing things.

Well, they usually (95%) defend people. Often Pro Bono. And someone who defends, is stereotypically good.

Subtle brick:

If you count him as a brick, I think Aizen from Bleach may qualify.

He was so obsessive with using psychology, he even used it when totally unnessesary.

Well, they usually (95%) defend people. Often Pro Bono. And someone who defends, is stereotypically good.

Subtle brick:

If you count him as a brick, I think Aizen from Bleach may qualify.

He was so obsessive with using psychology, he even used it when totally unnessesary.

Aizen's big power by comparison with his peers is his ability to create illusions in the minds of others, so no I wouldn't count him as a brick.

Aizen's big power by comparison with his peers is his ability to create illusions in the minds of others' date=' so no I wouldn't count him as a brick.[/quote']

Not only. Before the Hogh-thing (can't remeber the name from memory) transformed him, he could have beaten everyone except the Head Captain (which he disposed of, using Wonderweis).

After that, only Ichigo could deal with him and only by using all of his powers. And he was pretty much immortal, greatly speaking for Brick.

Not only. Before the Hogh-thing (can't remeber the name from memory) transformed him, he could have beaten everyone except the Head Captain (which he disposed of, using Wonderweis).

After that, only Ichigo could deal with him and only by using all of his powers. And he was pretty much immortal, greatly speaking for Brick.

Yes, but the brick stereotype (that they operate by direct bashing of what stands in front of them) only applies to people who have nothing but strength and durability. People who have other powers like Superman or J'onn, don't fit into it.

How about this for a brick

A huge honking guy who afraid of getting hurt. This is a brick who's really a martial artist; High DCV low def and High Strength/Presence. He looks like a brick, has a speed of a brick but is actually a martial artist.

Or a brick with high defenses but his major attack is mental illusions.

Players always seem to assume that a low Dex and Speed equals some type of brick or that High Dex and Speed is a martial artist. This is easy enough to play with.

Nice try, but won't work ;-)

Ice:

Iceman especially the Rouge from X-Men 2 found him very "loveable"

Death:

argaubly: 90% of the Shinigami from Bleach; Rin from the webcomic "Guests in Purgatory"

Mentalist:

Psi Footsoldier (otherwise, they'd be leading).

(Emphasis added)

Are you speaking of the make-up rouge (pronounced "roozh") or the mutant with power-absorbing powers, Rogue?

Sorry if it was just a misspelling but I seem to see a lot of online discussions where her name is spelled like the cheek-reddening make-up. Perhaps I'm in a touchy mood?

Are you speaking of the make-up rouge (pronounced "roozh") or the mutant with power-absorbing powers' date=' Rogue?[/quote']

I extra look up the name in Wikipedia, and then I copy and paste the wrong one :)

What' date=' like the Hank McCoy/the Beast?[/quote']

Or Bruce Banner, aka "Were-Hulk".

While Johnny Storm does have a phenomenal degree of control over his flame compared to pretty much any other fire user, this isn't reflected in his personality, which is the stereotypical rash and hot-tempered.

Smart isn't the same thing as subtle and manipulative.

I was thinking he was talking about the Original Human Torch who was an android.

Subtle Brick, How about the Archetype for every brick. The Man of Bronze Doc Savage?. Superstrong, yet is smart enough to make Reed Richards look slow.

One of my personal favorites: "What animal instincts?"

The bestial character, whether were-creature or non-changing anthropomorphic, who does not demonstrate any behaviors stereotypical of their appearance.

I enjoyed the one-liner from one of the JL cartoons when Vixen was asked about jungles and she just gives a blank look. "What makes you think I know anything about the jungle? I live in a loft in Chelsea."

LOL, on counter stereotyping, I was just thinking something like a werewolf but its a werehuman.

So I can just see a villain who on the night of the full moons, turns into a savage human and can only be stopped with a silver bullet.

LOL, on counter stereotyping, I was just thinking something like a werewolf but its a werehuman.

So I can just see a villain who on the night of the full moons, turns into a savage human and can only be stopped with a silver bullet.

I think there was a villain along those lines in Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew.

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized that one of my characters in Champions Online goes against type.

I started Red Streak as a simple Soldier archetype, with a bunch of guns. But then it came time to choose a Travel Power, and the best one I could see was Superspeed. So she runs super-fast, but unlike typical speedsters she doesn't fight with her fists -- she shoots.