Where is your campaign based?

Martin2

Re: Where is your campaign based?

No thanks, I might want to learn more but not if it means licking anything of yours. No offense, I like you well enough, but liking and licking are two different things....

Lucius Alexander

On the other hand, the palindromedary is more willing to lick things...

:rofl: [fixed]

In college, we typically used New York City with a heavy Marvel influence. But since noon of us had been there, it was really just a generic large fictional city. The world and the campaign background were pretty generic and flavorless, as the GM wasn't interested in that. My current campaign world has individual heroes scattered about, with no city having more than a single hero. Four new heroes are about to be created, and while they'll start in the San Francisco Bay area, they'll eventually move to a base near Austin. Most of their adventures will happen elsewhere, but leaving the US will be rare.

Guest dan2448

I haven't played in years. But when I did, my friends and I always based all our RPG campaigns, including "Champions," in our home town of San Diego. In my experience, however, the plots in super-hero games tended to me more continent- and world-spanning. So the choice of our home town for "Champions" had far less impact on the game than it did with, say, post-apocalyptic RPGs like "Gamma World," where the game play was more street-to-street.

Since the heroes are around to fight evil, most of our campaigns have been set in the capital of greed, vice, and corruption. By which I mean Washington D.C.

D.C. has the advantage of being at least somewhat familiar to all the players with lots of good landmarks. Including the surrounding areas (Fairfax, Alexandria, etc.) it has a lot of commercial industries in addition to being the seat of government, which makes it easy to introduce almost any type of plot. D.C. also has planes, trains, automobiles, boats, and a subway system which lend a lot of variation there too. And of course it is the bedrock of all sorts of conspiracy theories which are fun to bring to life in a campaign.

You mean there's a world outside of the United States? Who knew? :eg:

Actually, I don't recall ever having a campaign set outside the USA. It's what I know, I guess. The last campaign I ran was set in La$ Vega$, for reasons of greed, vice, and corruption as named above.

I do recall playing on two international campaigns as a player. Lord Mhoram ran a campaign where we were that world's equivalent to the Avengers or Justice League, so we did a lot of globetrotting. And I was in an aquatic campaign in college, so we spent a lot of time traveling on, around, and under the world's oceans.

I set mine in Cincinnati-which is where I live. Millenium city and the battle of Detroit has not happened yet. My group' date=' The Misfit League, is the premier Midwest group, although they've gone national, international and even interdimesional upon occasion. The Champions are a NPC NY city group that we get along quite well with- and is more famous nationally.[/quote']Hmm, same here. Methinks the Abnormals and The Misfit League (I would so buy that comic book) should get together and go bowling. We call dibs on the Museum Center/Hall of Justice!

For the last several years, my games (Pulp Hero and Champions) have been set in Neptune City - a fictional port city in south-eastern Virginia (suspiciously close to where I grew up). Being an old DC Silver Age fan, I love the freedom that fictional cities give you for super hero stories.

The Crusaders and The Lost Ones (GenCon) operate in Liberty Metropolis, a thinly disguiesed version Philadelphia. The Pacific Crusaders is the same with Seattle (Emerald City). They do operate sporadically in Vancouver and I just use the city as is. As a matter of fact, any city outside the U.S. is used as is. Only two elements from the CU are in use, U.N.T.I.L. because it is a shared universe with other GM's, and Atlantis from "Hidden Lands" but with most of the magical elements replaced with super science and the Atlantean characteristics largely intact.

The Sapphire Squad (Origins (on hiatis)) is based in Novosibiersk, Russia when not on their Lunar HQ.

The British Avengers (Origins) is based in London (of course!)

The Force of Nine (GenCon) is based in Liberty Metropolis of the 31st Century

I haven't played in years. But when I did' date=' my friends and I always based all our RPG campaigns, including "Champions," in our home town of San Diego. In my experience, however, the plots in super-hero games tended to me more continent- and world-spanning. So the choice of our home town for "Champions" had far less impact on the game than it did with, say, post-apocalyptic RPGs like "Gamma World," where the game play was more street-to-street.[/quote']

I used to live in San Diego and it would be awesome for a campaign. Especially since I still remember my way around parts of Chula Vista. I also remember a lot of the trolley stops, all the way down to the border. Speaking of the trolley, it would be great for a Gamma World campaign if it could be put back in working order. Not only that, but I drool every time I imagine what the Coronado bridge would look like after a nuclear war. :D

I used to live in San Diego and it would be awesome for a campaign. Especially since I still remember my way around parts of Chula Vista. I also remember a lot of the trolley stops' date=' all the way down to the border. Speaking of the trolley, it would be great for a Gamma World campaign if it could be put back in working order. Not only that, but I drool every time I imagine what the Coronado bridge would look like after a nuclear war. :D[/quote']

Please do not set off nuclear weapons near the Coronado Bridge. I need it to drive to work.

Game here in Perth Australia - Classic Cthulhu zig-zags between Arkham, Boston, and New York, with occasional expeditions elsewhere in the NE. The two Champions campaigns I was in were set in Edge City, a sort of Californian Milton Keynes ( i.e. built specially midway between other more important cities, and swiftly became a business disaster), and a boom town in the middle of Nebraska. You mightn't think the latter gave much importunity for international plot, but we didn't really need them. Vitus annoyed so many people that Eurostar, Ist'vatha V'han and Dr Destroyer came to us.

Guest steamteck

For the last several years' date=' my games (Pulp Hero and Champions) have been set in Neptune City - a fictional port city in south-eastern Virginia (suspiciously close to where I grew up). Being an old DC Silver Age fan, I love the freedom that fictional cities give you for super hero stories.[/quote']

I completely agree but obviously went onr step further when I created an entire fictional world. With no pretense this is even a shadow of the real world, the freedom is incredible.