The answer to the most important question in Space Sci-Fi

Christopher

http://m.io9.com/5709637/what-would-really-happen-if-you-were-exposed-to-vacuum

Asuming that is the same guy, the autor aparrently works as scientist for NASA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_A._Landis

Of course, for the cinematic SciFi you can still have insta-freezing eyeballs and all that other stuff writers came up with;)

Re: The answer to the most important question in Space Sci-Fi

It's kind of hard with their jacked-up site layout and ads.

As for the most important question, I really think it's an area that requires further analysis. I have a list of potential test subjects.

Doubt it. Might even be harmful - increased pressure in the arteries.

According to the article, blood circulation stops pretty fast. The increased oxygen content in the blood probably wouldn't be enough to keep the brain operating since it would just be what's in the brain when the decompression incident occurred.

When I was writing an early manuscript for The Ultimate Vehicle, I put in a section on explosive decompression. I asked a few people to review the manuscript, and one of them looked at the title, thought I was talking about this, and decried it with "it's a myth, people don't explode in vacuum," apparently without actually reading the section. What I'd written was about vehicular explosive decompression, where a breach in the exterior bulkhead causes air to rush out. I'd actually never heard that term applied to what happens to people in space (and I already knew that exploding people is an inaccuracy).

Thank you for finding this, and hopefully there will be some way to include this information in Star Hero (if it's not already there).

I'd actually never heard that term applied to what happens to people in space (and I already knew that exploding people is an inaccuracy).

Just found the campions book uses it that way:

In the description of the "space ring", on Page 225. At least for me it sounds that way.

Just found the campions book uses it that way:

In the description of the "space ring", on Page 225. At least for me it sounds that way.

I don't have the 6th Edition Champions book yet, for lack of funds. (Is that the edition you mean?)

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting and informative! Thanks for the link, I may try and include this one of my campaigns at some point. Does make me curious what sort of biological adaptations one could have that would prolong survival in a vaccum...

-Tolan

Very interesting and informative! Thanks for the link' date=' I may try and include this one of my campaigns at some point. Does make me curious what sort of biological adaptations one could have that would prolong survival in a vaccum...[/quote']

Do you mean "not dying" survival or "being active for more than 10 seconds" survival?

Either way' date=' a mechanism to allow holding your breath in vacuum would seem to be key. Or at least a way to bank O2 in the bloodstream.[/quote']

Oxigen is only half the problem. Fluid concentration in areas where "fluid should not concentrate" is what really kills you.