ampullae of lorenzini

TheNaga

Re: ampullae of lorenzini

It's electrosense, which I think is included in Champions Powers under that very name.

For typical ampullae, it would be Detect Electric Field with Discriminatory and (usually) Range, and it would be the basis for its own Sense Group (Electric Sense).

It's my favorite "extra sense" for a game or story; I even gave the ability to a character in Realm Hunter: Trail of the Elder Gods.

Lack of knowledge does mean it needs a different build. EM Fields covers it.

Did you mean what you said there, or did you mean to say that a lack of knowledge does NOT mean it needs a different build?

It is late on a Friday afternoon and things like that confuse my brain!! ;)

Doc

Lack of knowledge does mean it needs a different build. EM Fields covers it.

We may Talk about EM Field Detection, a 10 Point detect that can find humans.

Someone else might talk about EM Field Detection, a 3 point detect that can only find strong magnetic fields (Electric Engines, Magnetic Shields, EMP Attacks, using of electricity SFX attacks) but it would never ccur to him that it can detect humans in the same way.

Perhaps defining it as Spartial Awareness with the SFX of "EM-Field" detection helps here?

Did you mean what you said there, or did you mean to say that a lack of knowledge does NOT mean it needs a different build?

It is late on a Friday afternoon and things like that confuse my brain!! ;)

Doc

I did, I typed that response on my iPhone and managed to leave out a word. I blame the iPhone.

We may Talk about EM Field Detection, a 10 Point detect that can find humans.

Someone else might talk about EM Field Detection, a 3 point detect that can only find strong magnetic fields (Electric Engines, Magnetic Shields, EMP Attacks, using of electricity SFX attacks) but it would never ccur to him that it can detect humans in the same way.

Perhaps defining it as Spartial Awareness with the SFX of "EM-Field" detection helps here?

Electro-Magnetic Fields do not come in flavors like that. Detect: EM is always - ALWAYS - IMO a 5-pt Detect.

If you just want to detect "Electricity Powers" then it's 3pts.

There's nothing about EM that requires 10pts in Detect, it's not that massive considering the whole wide gamut of things out there.

If you want only "Strong Fields" then you put a Limitation on the 5pt version "Only Strong Fields -1/2"

In other words: I put EM on par with detecting the IR or UV band: a 5 point Sense.

Well, its definitely not a 3 point when it can detect Persons - since it's potentially negating Invisbility, darkness and other things.

The question is how close is it to things like "life Force" or "Enemys" (the basis for Combat Sense)? I think it can detect 95% of all enemys (baring those with invisibility; after all something must still block the detect), and then some:

Active machines, electricity powers, certain types of energy fields/shields. And that doesn't inlcude what you could detect indirect - through disturbances in the magnetic fields you could see objects too.

That would make it closer to Spartial Awareness, maybe even more (additional things). It's just the question how many things you want to be able to detect with this.

Well' date=' its definitely not a 3 point when it can detect Persons - since it's potentially negating Invisbility, darkness and other things.[/quote']Any Sense can do that, if it's Targeting.

For how it works in nature, I'd call it a 5 point Detect, with Discriminatory, 360 Degree, Sense, and Targeting; that's 27 points (or 47 points if it's treated as the basis for a new Sense Group). Range, Analyze, and Transmit are also possible without making the science to rubbery.

Any Sense can do that' date=' if it's Targeting.[/quote']

Any sense could, asuming the target has something of that type on it. Not every person has gold teeth, rather few have magic items. And even if, that one item won't allow you to properly react to actions, even if the sense is targetting (okay, you can pinpoint two of his teeth. What about the Hands, Feets, Torso and other parts?).

The description makes clear that 3 point should not be something regulary usefull in combat or something to target/track/identify every person. It's for "Shtick" Detects (magic powers, Mental Powers) and Sensory Talents.

5 are a lot closer to our normal senses. But the few examples imply that even our mundane world has some way to make persons invisible to it (like you can protect a tank or person against IR perception, or what hapened in Predator 1+2).

10 Points seem to be nessesary for a reliable battle sense that is not fooled by any mundane means. Perhaps it is even there for Senses that are beyond what we can understand properly (Life Force, Enemys).

Perhaps 5 is better, as long as we know what mundane way makes this sense useless. Found some clues about that here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroreception

You can apply as many adders as you like. It can without a doubt serve as alternate targetting sense, if that is nessesary.

I would simply put it into the Radio Group, since that is the closest to an EM-Sense in our real world, gives you good free adders and gives your enemys a chance to have some sense affecting things that work on him.

Here's how I built something equivalent for an NPC who was a genetically engineered Atlantean/manta ray hybrid:

25 Electroreception: Detect Weak Electrical Impulses (no Sense Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Targeting

I would go this way, except for the "weak" part. That sounds like cheating. It should have 'Microscopic' on it. Otherwise, it implies that it does not detect strong fields. 'Sense' or 'Discriminatory' would depend on the character.