Help fleshing out an idea

JmOz

First, for anyone concerned, while in Minot, I am still relativly dry.

Second, this post may be a bit wrong minded, as it is for a different game system, but I like the ideas that get generated on this board, so posting here.

I am currently running a Slipstream game (A flash gordon/buck rogers like world)

One character is a Valkyrie, a race that among other things have life quests, hers is to become a great leader. She is also a PSI (Which is majorly illegal in the universe, death on sight type of thing). So I decided that I am going to lead her character on becoming the founder of a new corps of guardians based on a forgoten group of the past (She will find stuff out of the history as they go along)

Inspiration for the org will be the Lensmen, GLC, Rangers (Of Bab 5), etc...

So I like the shadow/light fight that is a part of it. The setting already has a group that fits the darkness very well.

She found a Psi crystal earlier (Basicaly a END Reserve for PSI Powers bought OAF) which I think i will tie into the history

Otherwise ideas are welcome...

So what

Re: Help fleshing out an idea

Didn't you meant "Help flashing out an idea"?

I am not a gramar nazi, but it sounds more like you need help to get something out of your head ;)

Edit: And berhaps I meant, that you meant fleshing out an idea. Of course, the Mental Picture of something flushing out an Idea could easily Flash your Mental Sense Group...

Yes, the expression is "fleshing out." "Flashing" and "flushing" lead to very different concepts, and images. :rolleyes: And now that that's hopefully out of the way...

JmOz, how do you feel about putting an emphasis on psis in this new organization, as in your Valkyrie actively seeking them out to recruit? Obviously this would require their operations being secretive at first; but eventually their exploits could change the general galactic opinion of psis, and perhaps alleviate their oppression. Sort of a "Lensmen meets X-Men" kind of campaign.

considering my inspiration, no problem at all. I like the idea, can borrow some from Star Wars as well in the situation. Plus can a mod change the title to fleshing out. I know the term, no idea why I put a u instead of an e

One way people will most likely accept the Psis:

The usual big danger, only psionics can counter. Preferebly with a big final spacebattle about the future of the universe. While the direct treath is solved by the victory, the enemy "is still out there" so Psi's and normals have to get along from now on.

Nothing builds acceptance better than the need for them. Of course, this must not be final.

Once the science get's better developed on this field, there might be a way to counter "the enemy" with tech (or at least that is what the people think).

One way people will most likely accept the Psis:

The usual big danger, only psionics can counter. Preferebly with a big final spacebattle about the future of the universe. While the direct treath is solved by the victory, the enemy "is still out there" so Psi's and normals have to get along from now on.

Nothing builds acceptance better than the need for them. Of course, this must not be final.

Once the science get's better developed on this field, there might be a way to counter "the enemy" with tech (or at least that is what the people think).

This is how it is with my campaign setting. Psis are very persecuted in remote areas of the galaxy. Even in the core of the Federation (Federation of Free Worlds) while they have full rights etc, they are often looked on with fear and trepidation and they MUST be registered with PSI (the Psychological Studies Institute). Some religions are very anti-Psi oriented (others are very pro PSI, but these are often considered to be hokey and new-agey) and lead anti Psi campaigns in attempts to get them outlawed and Psi powers suppressed. However, The Enemy that is recently discovered oftentimes hides within the population of a planet, and they are very, very difficult to detect with technology, even at the genetic level. However Telepaths can easily sniff them out, so Psi's become extremely important in the upcoming war with them.

given to them by their gods

Well, that seems like an area that can be fleshed out.

How does she feel about this this grand life quest that she has been given? It is going to pretty much exclude all hopes of anything that might resemble a normal life. What are the feelings of the other Valkyries that are aware of her assigned life quest? Did the gods assign other Valkyries life quest that support her mission? If the gods are not all of one mind, did any Valkyries get assigned life quests that are oppositional to her quest? The gods have given her this quest which is going to take her far from her home world. How much influence can the gods exert far from their native soil?

These are questions that I would want to answer when fleshing out this character.

What are their gods? Actual gods? Old PSI's who have shed their physical forms? Advanced extra-dimensional aliens with their own agenda - good or evil?

What is the extent of PSI power? Telepathy and Telekinesis only? Or more than that?

Can PSI's be detected by non-PSI's? Special scanners or blood tests?

Setting is vague on the gods, gives me an idea to tie them into something else...

Her psi powers are telepathy based (Mind reading, communication and an ability to detect and hide from other psis)

there are scanners for picking up psis

Setting is vague on the gods, gives me an idea to tie them into something else...

Her psi powers are telepathy based (Mind reading, communication and an ability to detect and hide from other psis)

there are scanners for picking up psis

Any chance for a "Alien Interference" Story part here?

Somethign like: The gods were very advanced aliens and created (human) psis in order to fight the Dangerous Thing only Psis can counter? (this is what the Volons did in B5) They could be dead for milennia but their genetic manipulation carries on.

Any chance for a "Alien Interference" Story part here?

Somethign like: The gods were very advanced aliens and created (human) psis in order to fight the Dangerous Thing only Psis can counter? (this is what the Volons did in B5) They could be dead for milennia but their genetic manipulation carries on.

Kind of...

Long time ago a group of psi tried to take over the universe and the crystal is a remmnat of a weapon used by a oposing psi group who belive that free will is the most important thing in the universe. The distant war and the power of the first psi group held is the practical reason behind the diffrent empires aceptance of and encoraging of persecution of psi\s. The second group of psi peope are asteks who only use their psi powers to protect others from hostile psi groups.

how far up the tech level are you looking at, JM? Does normal people use robotics extensively? Is space travel easy like star trek and star wars, or hard like Lt. Leary?

Weapons that do weird things in thehands of psychics is a common thing.

CES