THE BOOK OF THE EMPRESS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: THE BOOK OF THE EMPRESS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Thanx for the suggestions so far, everyone! Keep 'em coming!

Just remember, this has to all fit within one reasonably-sized, reasonably-priced book that I write in a reasonable amount of time. Unlike Istvatha V'han, I don't have any time travel powers to make my life easier. ;)

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With that in mind, I'd suggest that some of the stuff mentioned already should be included in a sort of "Whitman's Sampler" section going over some of the implications of being a rule of a billion dimensions. Just enough to give GMs a feel for what sort of assets Vhan could bring to bear if she wished.

I suggest that the example characters from Istvatha's Imperial Battalion include more specialized types than just soldiers and bodyguards' date=' e.g. psionic interrogators, assassins with stealth/infiltration powers, spies with Mental Powers or Enhanced Senses, priority couriers with travel powers, riot-controllers with non-lethal attacks, and the like.[/quote']With this in mind, I'd recommend increasing the number of sheets from the stated "half a dozen or so" to something closer to a full dozen, with room for specialization and individualization. That could go a long ways toward making them seem less like ciphers.

In this context, a full character sheet with six options for specialization would equal in value to six full character sheets. Ten such sets, totaling sixty types, would be sufficient for a mind-swirling variety.

On a more serious note, when fleshing about V'han I really like to see some things that "humanize" her a bit, give her weaknesses, frailties and issues were she's not perfect but don't necessarily lend themselves to directly defeating he on the battlefield even trivial things she likes, like hobbies or other interests aside from conquering multiverse.

I'm hoping that her personality is more than just being a workaholic dimensional conqueror. That would be boring, and even a megalomaniacal conqueror like Dr. Destroyer takes some time out of his busy day plotting world domination to listen to music or read books. As others have mentioned, giving her a hobby or two, or some things she has passion for and can spend time on would make her more interesting.

More information on how her empire is organized, factions within her empire, and organizations within her empire would be greatly appreciated. It's currently a white slate. Does commerce still exist, or has she nationalized everything? In addition to other versions of superhumans, don't neglect the normal humans of the CU. A version of Stone could serve as her Minister of Commerce or the like. What is the analog like of the police chief of Millenium City in V'han's empire?

What are alternate versions of Millenium City or even Hudson City like on the V'han throneworld or some of her conquered worlds? Does she use alernate versions of the CU as practice grounds for her conquest plans for the actual CU?

In thinking about her superhuman forces, how does a version of Defender who serves V'han feel about other versions of himself outside the empire? Is that analog of Defender carrying on a torrid love affair with an analog of Saphire?

One thing that would be interesting as sidebar items would be to slip in a few "slices of life" scenes that show what goes on with various subjects under her rule. What does an average citizen on the V'han homeworld do each day? What sort of plotting does your average noble get involved in? Get inside the day of one of V'han's police, or what they think about while making an arrest. Make a few of her citizen's come alive.

How do the Malvans fit into V'han's empire? There must be alternate versions of them, unless they are somehow unique to the CU. Their technology is godlike, so why doesn't V'han use them? They could also be a source of superhumans for her.

Imagine a version of the Malvans who don't have the ancient curse holding them back, and imagine them working for V'han.

With this in mind, I'd recommend increasing the number of sheets from the stated "half a dozen or so" to something closer to a full dozen, with room for specialization and individualization. That could go a long ways toward making them seem less like ciphers.

In this context, a full character sheet with six options for specialization would equal in value to six full character sheets. Ten such sets, totaling sixty types, would be sufficient for a mind-swirling variety.

If that's too much, at least some customizable D-Soldiers? Something like the agents from the VIPER source book, or DEMON Morbanes, with a basic template and several specialized packages.

I'm sure you'll include I-V's major lieutenants, assistants, and so forth; but I'd like to specifically request a full character sheet for one of her senior generals, someone likely to command I-V's forces in a full invasion of Earth (since she doesn't strike me as a field commander). Such a person could become a recurring enemy in a campaign, more likely for PCs to interact with than the distant Empress herself.

How do the Malvans fit into V'han's empire? There must be alternate versions of them, unless they are somehow unique to the CU. Their technology is godlike, so why doesn't V'han use them? They could also be a source of superhumans for her.

Imagine a version of the Malvans who don't have the ancient curse holding them back, and imagine them working for V'han.

I'm a little concerned we're taking the idea of I-V ruling "alternate CUs" a bit too literally and extensively. She's always concentrated her attentions on CU Earth, so I'm inclined to think her rule of "alternates" is mostly confined there, and doubt she rules multiple Milky Way Galaxies. I don't even want to think of the implications of having to deal with alternate incarnations of Galaxars or Xarriel in BOTE. :eek:

Besides, if anyone could kick Istvatha's invading tushie, it's the Malvans. :P

I'm a little concerned we're taking the idea of I-V ruling "alternate CUs" a bit too literally and extensively. She's always concentrated her attentions on CU Earth' date=' so I'm inclined to think her rule of "alternates" is mostly confined there, and doubt she rules multiple Milky Way Galaxies.[/quote']

I too think what she really has archieved in the other dimensions is limited and perhaps even that interdimensional transport in relevant masses is difficulty. So different Dimensions aiding each other in time of disaster/assualt is possible, but they each stand mostly on their own (i.e. have to use the troops they have).

That would also explain why she can't simply overrun earth with sheer numbers.

I'd be interested in finding out what the parameters are for a dimension V'han considers not worth invading or too risky to invade, and what the protocols are for dealing with any contact that's already happened in the latter case. If a scout mission happens across an alternate earth ruled by the Elder Worm or their equivalent, does a dimensional bungie cord get activated to yank her forces back home? Do a bunch of suicide implants activate and the transport's power plant go into auto-destruct mode to wipe out any traces that could lead back to her empire?

I also wonder how she goes about dealing with something like the plethora of deities that seem to be generated by human religions. (My impression is that while her primary rivals Skarn and Tyrannon control far vaster dominions than any earthly gods, they themselves are not necessarily any more powerful than your average sky father or lord of the underworld.) Does V'han view them as potential field combatants against her invasion forces and have some tricks up her sleeves to neutralize them or prevent their intervention? Has long experience taught her they tend to be pragmatic and remain uninvolved if she avoids too much upheaval during her conquests and allows religious freedom once she's taken over? Or is the metaphysical situation of Champions Earth unique and she's never had to deal with the issue before?

Something just occurred to me: part of V'han's legions probably include several units made up entirely of alternate versions of the same person.

I've seen it done in comics: the collection of Captains Britain from the various universes of the Marvel Multiverse, and in DC (I forget the miniseries title -- heroes were fighting alternate versions of themselves in an arena) when various versions of Captain Atom showed up to attack Monarch.

So there might be a Defender Brigade, an Ironclad Brigade, a Silverback Brigade, a Justiciar Brigade, a Menton Brigade, a Foxbat Brigade, a Seeker Brigade, and so forth.

A Destroyer Brigade....

I also wonder how she goes about dealing with something like the plethora of deities that seem to be generated by human religions. (My impression is that while her primary rivals Skarn and Tyrannon control far vaster dominions than any earthly gods, they themselves are not necessarily any more powerful than your average sky father or lord of the underworld.) Does V'han view them as potential field combatants against her invasion forces and have some tricks up her sleeves to neutralize them or prevent their intervention? Has long experience taught her they tend to be pragmatic and remain uninvolved if she avoids too much upheaval during her conquests and allows religious freedom once she's taken over? Or is the metaphysical situation of Champions Earth unique and she's never had to deal with the issue before?

While it would be up to Steve as to whether this applies to V'han or not, The Mystic World mentions that Earth's mythic gods' magic powers are ineffectual against extra-dimensional mystic entities such as Skarn or the Kings of Edom.

Just to clarify one thing that seems to've been overlooked: when I said "half a dozen" character sheets, I specifically referred to from the Imperial Battalion (her superhumans). I did not say "half a dozen character sheets for the book, total."

I'm definitely not going to have nearly as many as some of you seem to want, but it's certainly going to be more than six.

I think one of the problems about responding is that we know so very little about her.

For all we know she's her own universe's equivalent of Luther Black, who is running away from the destruction of her own universe, and the billion others that she tried to hide in.

Umm... that wasn't a hint, Steve. ;)

Seriously, though, she's a lot more of a blank slate than, say, Dr D or Mechanon. We know next to nothing about her. We don't know how she works, or what her empire involves, or, well, anything about her.

Seriously' date=' though, she's a lot more of a blank slate than, say, Dr D or Mechanon. We know next to nothing about her. We don't know how she works, or what her empire involves, or, well, anything about her.[/quote']

Or even the fundamentals behind it - how easy is it for her to transport large amounts of people/war-material through the Multiverse? How many altenrate realities are there really (from Quantum Splitting*, a few billion new every nanosecond, to only some specific)? How many has she conquered and to what extend?

*I mean every time a decision has to be made, the universe splits into two new. Even if you limit it to mayor decision, there are bound to be dozen of splits per second with all the sentient races. And with her being unique along the multiverse that would mean she could spontaniously vanish during a conversation (the universes splitted, and you are in the other).

Of course on the upside she would have hit the 1 Billion-th universe the day she aquired her first minion (when universes split, she suddenly has one minion in two universes, than four, 8 and so on).

Just to clarify one thing that seems to've been overlooked: when I said "half a dozen" character sheets' date=' I specifically referred to [i']from the Imperial Battalion[/i] (her superhumans). I did not say "half a dozen character sheets for the book, total."

I'm definitely not going to have nearly as many as some of you seem to want, but it's certainly going to be more than six.

Ah! Thanks for the clarification. I had misread that part.

Or even the fundamentals behind it - how easy is it for her to transport large amounts of people/war-material through the Multiverse? How many altenrate realities are there really (from Quantum Splitting*, a few billion new every nanosecond, to only some specific)? How many has she conquered and to what extend?

*I mean every time a decision has to be made, the universe splits into two new. Even if you limit it to mayor decision, there are bound to be dozen of splits per second with all the sentient races. And with her being unique along the multiverse that would mean she could spontaniously vanish during a conversation (the universes splitted, and you are in the other).

Of course on the upside she would have hit the 1 Billion-th universe the day she aquired her first minion (when universes split, she suddenly has one minion in two universes, than four, 8 and so on).

Given that, in quantum terms, a "decision" also includes things like how long a given atom of a radioactive isotope lasts before decaying, what direction a given photon travels when light is emitted, and so forth, the number would be tremendous.

But that's an interesting thought as well: if V'han is absolutely unique in the multiverse, then a part of her "mutant power" would seem to be an immunity to quantum separation. Or perhaps she does split and immediately re-entangles, or something of the sort. That could give her tremendous intellectual capability; it could account, at least in part, for her immortality as well as a sense of precognition, immunity to most if not all time and dimensional powers, and several other abilities (possibly even 100% Energy Damage Reduction, at least regarding light, heat, radiation, and similar phenomena).

Given that' date=' in quantum terms, a "decision" also includes things like how long a given atom of a radioactive isotope lasts before decaying, what direction a given photon travels when light is emitted, and so forth, the number would be tremendous.[/quote']

Yes, that time/space does not regards humans as anything special (like is shown in most Fiction regarding time travel) is often forgotten. It needs a ton of differences on the quantum level to even influence one decission. And for most part the differences don't even affect anything living (because the Universe has really a lot of long distances).

So I think it is better to either not have this "Quantum Differences Multiplication" mechanic for the CU, or that only extremly different realities can be travelled to.

That, or perhaps does I-V's presense or her empire gaining a foothold in the dimension somehow stops the further splitting of that Universe? That way she would give every universe a part or her uniqueness, once conquered.

Keep in mind that the other dimensions I-V rules don't have to be limited to alternates of the CU. Certainly her chief rivals, Skarn and Tyrannon, control domains that don't resemble Earth's universe at all, and most of the "dimensions" they've conquered have been tiny by comparison. Alternates to Earth/ the CU may be the minority among dimensions she's invaded, assuming she's conquered any such at all.

Since Steve has indicated BOTE will to some extent be our guide to "other dimensions" in the Champions Universe, I would expect at least a few of the ones described to be significantly different from our own in terms of layout, physical laws, etc. That's part of the fun of dimension-hopping -- going to the Dark Dimension, Discworld, or Wonderland. ;)

That reminds me, Steve: Will the book include any significant dimensions that aren't directly under I-V's control, perhaps ones she wants or which have thwarted her in the past?

Something bizarre just occurred to me. It's probably useless, but maybe not.

The Empress' initials, as already used in this thread, are I.V. Put them together in IV, and you get the Roman numeral for 4.

Say the letters "I.V." out loud, and it sounds like the English word "Ivy."

Somewhere, perhaps in parallel Earth, her presence is secretly marked by the arrangement of ivy vines into the numeral "4."

A whole separate point: please avoid using the word "dimension" when you mean "universe." I know it's become a convention of fiction, but it's a misuse of the word. A dimension is not a universe, but a characteristic of a universe (such as height, width, depth, time, and the tiny extended dimensions theorized to exist).

Yeah, it's a nitpicky point, but if there's no reason to do otherwise we might as well use words correctly.

A whole separate point: please avoid using the word "dimension" when you mean "universe." I know it's become a convention of fiction, but it's a misuse of the word. A dimension is not a universe, but a characteristic of a universe (such as height, width, depth, time, and the tiny extended dimensions theorized to exist).

Yeah, it's a nitpicky point, but if there's no reason to do otherwise we might as well use words correctly.

The Multiple Dimensions are a small subset of the Champions Universe.

How much part alternate Dimensions play in your Champions Universe is up to you.

I'm sorry to have to disagree with Bob, whom I respect greatly; but "dimension" being another realm of space different from our universe, is a very long-standing comic-book convention, however literally inaccurate it is. Also, "universe" carries the implication of immensity, whereas most of the comic-book dimensions are far more finite.

"Plane" is another term which has a specific geometric meaning, but is often used interchangeably with "dimension". "Realm" is also another term often used to refer to other "planes of existence". I tend to use "multiverse" to refer to a group of continguous/related universes/dimensions, and "realm" to refer to a multiverse or group of multiverses ruled over by a single entity. So, "The Realm V'Han" would refer to IV's entire empire.