John Carter (of Mars) Trailer

LordGhee

Re: John Carter (of Mars) Trailer

That could be a good thing......Dejah wasn't the only one running around nekid in those books, heh. Not sure I want to see hordes of Martian Green Men all doing the Full Monty on the IMAX screen.

I'm willing to give Disney a shot with this one. With the stuff they are keeping close to the books I would say it has potential. Besides, Syfy already put out an Assylum "A Princess of Mars", Disney can't do any worse then THAT.

~Rex

That could be a good thing......Dejah wasn't the only one running around nekid in those books, heh. Not sure I want to see hordes of Martian Green Men all doing the Full Monty on the IMAX screen.

I'm willing to give Disney a shot with this one. With the stuff they are keeping close to the books I would say it has potential. Besides, Syfy already put out an Assylum "A Princess of Mars", Disney can't do any worse then THAT.

~Rex

'Struth.

As it looks like they're looking for something that could take over the audience they hooked with the PotC movies. They know they've got a huge body of work they could milk for a BUNCH of canon films, with built in breakpoints where the leading man changes which will save them in contract talks.

There are potentially great rewards for making this not suck.

Keep in mind that "naked" may not have meant quite the same thing to Westerners in 1920 as it does now. ;)

Yeah but that's hard to explain to them youngins today. Look at the way they send their kids to school!

~Rex

Does anyone see any violent decapitations or amputations? Seriously, I'm holding out for the Barsoomian version with English subtitles.

Possibly cgi, but only if done as a moving Frank Frazetta painting.

I'd be down for the Frazetta look, but if you make it to violent.....well.....considering what folks play for games nowadays I don't think you COULD make the movie to violent, heh....

~Rex.....says the problem with going for a Frazetta look, is that most of Hollywoods Women wouldn't work, because they are are underfed waifs that look like 12 year old boys, and most of the Men wouldn't work because you would need, an Army of guys like Jeffery Dean Morgan in a weight room non stop as opposed to little girlie Dancer Pretty boys that look like 12 year old girls.....

The problem is, the filmmakers already stated they were going to discard the Frazetta look as 'out-dated' or something like that.

I'm also with Steve Long and am very neutral on this.

The problem is, the filmmakers already stated they were going to discard the Frazetta look as 'out-dated' or something like that.

That's part of my concern. Every single thing I've heard the filmmakers say, or seen them do, about this movie leaves me veeeerrry skeptical that they "get it." But like I say... won't cost me anything to see it on Netflix.

I like Frazetta as much as the next pulp fan, but Burroughs wrote these stories before Frazetta was even born. Frazetta's work is just one artist's vision of the Barsoom. It is admittedly very popular, but it is not even remotely sacred gospel. I'm willing to consider alternate visions of Barsoom's aesthetic insofar as they work with, rather than against, the prose and contain sufficient "cool."

Disney's made a good movie here or there. They may be due another.

~Rex

Sure. I'm just hyperbolizing because I'm afraid they aren't.

Which is a far cry from 'exclusive.'

Its worthiness makes it unique.

• 2 weeks later...