Combat examples

FeralFly

Hello,

I'm new to Hero System 6e. I was wondering if there was somewhere online where people have posted combat examples. I checked Google many times, but never quite found what I was looking for... maybe something simple, like one superhero versus a half dozen thugs or so? In an ally? Using some improvised weapons, like trashcans and streetlights? Guess I'm just trying to see how everything plays out...

Re: Combat examples

Thank you for the comments. I am looking for examples of combats using the 6e HERO System, so I can get an idea as to how combat works. I have both volumes of 6e, but can't seem to visualize a fight scene.

In terms of description, it can be, say, one martial artist against four or so thugs. S/he doesn't have to win, but should have a few cool blocks, reversals... whatever they can muster before going down. I guess I want to know how the system flows, what to expect for improvisation.

I looked up "Hero System 6e combat examples" on Google, but left empty-handed. When I did the same for some of the other systems, I was able to find a few examples of a one-man show versus a dozen Nazis and a tank. They were really helpful and would like to know if something like that exists for HERO.

See this old post from 2004. It has a link to several example combats using 5e rules (still 99.9% valid for 6e).

This thread contains a pretty detailed example of heroic-level combat for a fantasy game. Although it deliberately avoids some of the more involved optional rules (it does mention them in context, which helps you look them up if you're interested), it's a good blow-by-blow description highlighting the various factors involved.

I hope that's of some help to you. :)

Or we could duke it out for the guy, Right Here in 6e. :D I had to write up a bunch of combat examples for a bunch of my players. May still have them around on the desk somewhere. Could transcribe a few.

~Rex....some of the fights are worth a chuckle......

See this old post from 2004. It has a link to several example combats using 5e rules (still 99.9% valid for 6e).

Yes, and while the first detailed narrative combat on that thread, by Pattern Ghost, applies to the fantasy genre, a few posts later PG plunges into a full description of a supers battle. Despite a few minor technical differences between 5E and 6E, these are excellent tutorials for the process which give a vivid sense of the flow of combat in HERO.

Yes, the Pattern Ghost examples were very good. I liked the supers battle one. It was very entertaining and gave tips on how to keep track of STUN, BODY, and END; and how to adjust OCV/DCV, when to ignore knockback, etc.

Thank you very much for your help. My question has been answered!

I can do a basic breakdown of one from my last session' date=' or could post a more detailed example by taking notes in my next session.[/quote']

That would be great. After reading the examples listed above, I have a good idea, but it would be nice to see other ones, too.

I'm sure that would help. My Sunday game canceled due to the hosts Rugrat Infestation this week, SO, Sunday I was planning on posting my 400/75 Super Hero Genre example. The way I'm going to post in (in parts so to speak), Does allow for interaction, heh.

~Rex....Notes the name of that example is "Furball Rising".

Thanks again. I'm trying to build the sort of combat I mentioned above. A quick powers question, and if it's misplaced just tell me... I want a bunch of thugs to try to beat a seemingly-normal person into oblivion, but have that would-be dead man have resistant protection that causes damage to HtH attacks, which effective would either break a weapon or knock it out of the thug's hand—we're talking basic bats and knives, nothing fancy, so they have the Real Weapon Limitation.

My question is, how do I build such a power using 6e? I've found a thread that just seems to use a house rule from 5e, but I want to know if it's possible without breaking the rules so much as possibly having to bend them.

Thanks again. I'm trying to build the sort of combat I mentioned above. A quick powers question, and if it's misplaced just tell me... I want a bunch of thugs to try to beat a seemingly-normal person into oblivion, but have that would-be dead man have resistant protection that causes damage to HtH attacks, which effective would either break a weapon or knock it out of the thug's hand—we're talking basic bats and knives, nothing fancy, so they have the Real Weapon Limitation.

My question is, how do I build such a power using 6e? I've found a thread that just seems to use a house rule from 5e, but I want to know if it's possible without breaking the rules so much as possibly having to bend them.

Disarming Defense: Major Transform 1d6 (Weapons to Broken/Dropped Weapons, Repair or Retrieval), Area Of Effect (1m Surface; +1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Partial Transform (Dropped rather than broken; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Constant (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Limited Target ([Very Limited]; Weapons; -1), No Range (-1/2), Conditional Power Only vs "Real Weapons" (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Grab (-1/4) Real Cost: 9

I used Transform with Partial Transform because you specified "Either break a weapon or knock it out of the thug's hand." It might actually be easier and cheaper to just break weapons.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Damage Shield

Disarming Defense: Major Transform 1d6 (Weapons to Broken/Dropped Weapons' date=' Repair or Retrieval), Area Of Effect (1m Surface; +1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Partial Transform (Dropped rather than broken; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Constant (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Limited Target ([Very Limited']; Weapons; -1), No Range (-1/2), Conditional Power Only vs "Real Weapons" (-1/2), Cannot Be Used With Grab (-1/4) Real Cost: 9

I used Transform with Partial Transform because you specified "Either break a weapon or knock it out of the thug's hand." It might actually be easier and cheaper to just break weapons.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Damage Shield

Thanks Lucius! That seems very interesting. Did you use Transform because it is easier than just a RKA against the weapon via Damage Shield? And why only 1d6 Transform?

This is what I put together after looking up a few things in the books and online (I went with more of a weapon-breaking sort of armor):

Bony Frame: 1d6 RKA (or 3d6 Blast?), Area of Effect (personal Surface—Damage Shield (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Persistent (+1/4), Reduced END (0 END, +1/2) (38 AP); Always On (-1/2), (-1), No Range (-1/2), Only Against HTH Attacks (-1). Total Cost: 10 points.