Effects of "Heightened Libido"?

Steve

I'm writing up a character who gained her enhanced abilities from a "super-soldier" upgrade very similar to the one that empowered Captain America/Steve Rogers. She has all the expected heightened physical and mental abilities.

However, in addition to turning her into a 6'1" tall, 25 STR amazon, her libido has also been enhanced by the genetic upgrade. I'm considering writing it up as a Physical Complication (Infrequent, Barely Impairing) at 5 points. She sublimates her urges into fighting crime due to having Psychological Complications like Obsessed With Crimefighting, Four-Color Hero, and Loves A Good Fight.

What other personality traits or character quirks might show up from this combination of character complications?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Effects of "Heightened Libido"?

She'd be more susceptible to sexually based Seduction (Charm) attempts and Powers based on sexual attraction. Depending on how you want to run with it there are several other possible implications (and disadvantages) from Hunted (angery ex lovers, would be stalkers, jealous rivals) to DNPCs (boy/girlfriend of the week, children), Psych: Mind in the gutter (always making lewd comments and innuendo), Reputation ("Easy" among others), etc.

If she's constantly pent up or in an otherwise heightened state of arousal, that's going to affect her judgement to an incredible degree. Especially in regards to the targets of her desire. And channeling sexual frustration into fighting crime is probably just going to make things worse once the combat begins.

Considering everything she brings to the table, she's probably going to have an easy time with sexy PRE attacks and Charm rolls already. Does she put out any kind of enhanced pheromones? Does she have enhanced senses that make her more vulnerable to such things?

Does she only have enhanced carnal desires or does she actually wish to procreate with enhanced frequency as well?

It's probably fairly safe to assume that if she does manage to work out her needs and desires with peak human frequency, she's going to get slapped with some very mean spirited labels very quickly, so that's a potential social complication (severity depending on era).

Also, is she the possessive, jealous type? Cause I can only imagine with horror what cattiness might be like when enhanced to the peak human degree ;)

Hmmm... she's not really a Mind In The Gutter or Easy sort, which is part of why she sublimates her libido into crimefighting. She's a Four-Color Hero "Good Girl" in a modern setting, so she'd really like to have a steady boyfriend but is also afraid of hurting a normal human.

My thinking is when she gets to feeling "edgy" she'll go looking for some VIPER agents or a supervillain to beat up.

Hmmm... she's not really a Mind In The Gutter or Easy sort' date=' which is part of why she sublimates her libido into crimefighting. She's a Four-Color Hero "Good Girl" in a modern setting, so she'd really like to have a steady boyfriend but is also afraid of hurting a normal human.[/quote']

Sounds both boring and frustrating. What use is a hightened libido if you're not going to use it!?! ;)

Honestly, I'm not sure what kind of game effects you're really looking to model with this? It sounds like it's almost entirely an internal conflict/role playing point.

My thinking is when she gets to feeling "edgy" she'll go looking for some VIPER agents or a supervillain to beat up.

Well, as I alluded to before, combat would likely produce the exact opposite effect...

But it's a comic book setting, so I guess no need to get overly wrapped up in that sort of thing if you don't want to.

If she's constantly pent up or in an otherwise heightened state of arousal, that's going to affect her judgement to an incredible degree. Especially in regards to the targets of her desire. And channeling sexual frustration into fighting crime is probably just going to make things worse once the combat begins.

Considering everything she brings to the table, she's probably going to have an easy time with sexy PRE attacks and Charm rolls already. Does she put out any kind of enhanced pheromones? Does she have enhanced senses that make her more vulnerable to such things?

Does she only have enhanced carnal desires or does she actually wish to procreate with enhanced frequency as well?

It's probably fairly safe to assume that if she does manage to work out her needs and desires with peak human frequency, she's going to get slapped with some very mean spirited labels very quickly, so that's a potential social complication (severity depending on era).

Also, is she the possessive, jealous type? Cause I can only imagine with horror what cattiness might be like when enhanced to the peak human degree ;)

She doesn't put out any enhanced pheromones, but she does have a total of ten points worth of Striking Appearance in the following categories:

Statuesque, Well-Built, Blue-Eyed Blonde: +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs all characters)

My Eyes Are Up Here: +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs characters who would find her sexually attractive)

She does have enhanced senses like Sharp Eyes and Good Hearing, but nothing totally beyond the range of human senses.

I think her libido issues are probably more in the way of increased carnal desires, but her problem is she's more of an innocent in nature and not inclined to just grab any guy that attracts her attention and have her way with him. She's got all of these enhanced hormone levels percolating under her thoughts, so she goes out to beat up bad guys to try and sublimate her urges into something positive.

In regards to Charm, she has the following Resistance.

Are You Trying To Pick Me Up?: Resistance (+2 vs Charm)

Attempts by a villain to sway her away from crimefighting by trying to seduce her would possibly make her mad.

Keep the comments coming. This is very helpful in helping me dfine her personality.

Sounds both boring and frustrating. What use is a hightened libido if you're not going to use it!?! ;)

Honestly, I'm not sure what kind of game effects you're really looking to model with this? It sounds like it's almost entirely an internal conflict/role playing point.

Well, as I alluded to before, combat would likely produce the exact opposite effect...

But it's a comic book setting, so I guess no need to get overly wrapped up in that sort of thing if you don't want to.

I'm looking for some role-playing hooks to use with her in my Icons campaign. I plan to introduce her to the team as a possible addition.

I'm fleshing out the character at this time, and the team will probably run across her since they have started fighting VIPER.

Well, the most obvious hook is for her to develop an attraction towards one of the characters. The potential complications being either it's toward a character that she has to be worried about 'hurting' if she gives in to her feelings of desire, or with a character who isn't interested in her for any number of possible reasons. The big question being how much soap opera do you want to have.

A possible variation is for the press/general rumor (whatever) to assume a relationship between her and a PC, regardless of how they might feel about one another.

She doesn't put out any enhanced pheromones, but she does have a total of ten points worth of Striking Appearance in the following categories:

Statuesque, Well-Built, Blue-Eyed Blonde: +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs all characters)

My Eyes Are Up Here: +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs characters who would find her sexually attractive)

She does have enhanced senses like Sharp Eyes and Good Hearing, but nothing totally beyond the range of human senses.

I think her libido issues are probably more in the way of increased carnal desires, but her problem is she's more of an innocent in nature and not inclined to just grab any guy that attracts her attention and have her way with him. She's got all of these enhanced hormone levels percolating under her thoughts, so she goes out to beat up bad guys to try and sublimate her urges into something positive.

In regards to Charm, she has the following Resistance.

Are You Trying To Pick Me Up?: Resistance (+2 vs Charm)

Attempts by a villain to sway her away from crimefighting by trying to seduce her would possibly make her mad.

Keep the comments coming. This is very helpful in helping me dfine her personality.

There's your Enraged, right there.

I'm still trying to reconcile "four color good girl" and "heightened libido."

Lucius Alexander

Obligatory palindromedary tagline

Lucius Alexander

That's actually pretty easy, given her powers (and the resulting libido) resulted from her origin. Her feelings and personal morality would have already been established - which would explain her frustrations...

Wanting something you feel you have to suppress, because it runs counter to your basic personality/beliefs, is bound to make someone edgy at best. I imagine it would be something she would learn to deal with over time, one way or another...

Well, the most obvious hook is for her to develop an attraction towards one of the characters. The potential complications being either it's toward a character that she has to be worried about 'hurting' if she gives in to her feelings of desire, or with a character who isn't interested in her for any number of possible reasons. The big question being how much soap opera do you want to have.

A possible variation is for the press/general rumor (whatever) to assume a relationship between her and a PC, regardless of how they might feel about one another.

I do have plans for her to become interested in one of the PCs, and possibly a second one could also attract her interest. Both of them are handsome (one very handsome) and built sturdy (20 STR and 10+ PD), so she wouldn't have to worry about hurting either one of them in the throes of passion. The soap opera comes in that the first one is fighting crime out of a form of atonement for a dead girlfriend and isn't really looking for another relationship right now, and the other one is married (in a rather loveless marriage) and going through a mid-life crisis.

I think it's safe to assume that the press will run with rumors of possible hook-ups between her and one or more of the PCs, once she joins the team.

There's your Enraged, right there.

Lucius Alexander

I might give her a low activation roll Enraged for that. Thanks for the suggestion. Since a lot of super-criminals are thuggish sorts, she might really be annoyed at having one of them come on to her.

That's actually pretty easy, given her powers (and the resulting libido) resulted from her origin. Her feelings and personal morality would have already been established - which would explain her frustrations...

Wanting something you feel you have to suppress, because it runs counter to your basic personality/beliefs, is bound to make someone edgy at best. I imagine it would be something she would learn to deal with over time, one way or another...

That's pretty much the direction I'm coming from with her. She's a strongly moral person (part of her Four-Color Hero psych complication) who believes in doing the right thing, which drives her into fighting crime and being a superhero. She isn't preachy about her morality though. She just believes she needs to control her desires, so she deals with them by going out and working off her frustrations through intense physical activities like beating up a squad of VIPER agents or fighting with a supervillain like Green Dragon.

She'll likely change over time as she gets used to her new body and becomes more experienced, but for right now she'll be eager to fight crime and slightly edgy and impatient, maybe pacing around or using the training room a lot during down times.

I might give her a low activation roll Enraged for that. Thanks for the suggestion. Since a lot of super-criminals are thuggish sorts' date=' she might really be annoyed at having one of them come on to her.[/quote']

She'd be annoyed, or worse, precisely because part of her (the hormones) wants to say "yes." In fact, a teammate could trigger it by saying or doing something quite innocent, that she knows is innocent, but that somehow makes her hormones sizzle and pop.

"Put me down this instant!"

"I'm putting you down! Sheesh, next time you get knocked off a roof maybe I WON'T catch you!"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests she try that Mexican masked wrestling game - Launcha Libido

She'd be annoyed, or worse, precisely because part of her (the hormones) wants to say "yes." In fact, a teammate could trigger it by saying or doing something quite innocent, that she knows is innocent, but that somehow makes her hormones sizzle and pop.

"Put me down this instant!"

"I'm putting you down! Sheesh, next time you get knocked off a roof maybe I WON'T catch you!"

That's precisely the sort of thing I could see happening with her and this group. :)

She's more the sort to blush in such a situation and stammer a bit as she struggles to keep her desires in check. She's not going to be used to getting a lot of male attention. Before getting her powers, she was pale, plain and wore glasses, kind of a mouse sort. In a lot of ways, she was very much like a pre-super soldier serum female Steve Rogers.

Another way I may flesh out her background is to give her some form of religious faith, like maybe she grew up in a Catholic family. That could help explain her nature. She's trying to be a good woman based on how she was raised, but her super-soldier upgrades brought with them heightened hormone levels and more demanding biological imperatives. Nothing overt or preachy would show up in her speech, just that she tries to maintain a certain set of standards for herself.

If she gets flustered by a PC doing something that sets her hormones "popping and sizzling" as Lucius says, she'll just find someone to fight and work off her frustrations that way, or retreat to the base's training room and smash robots.

Another way I may flesh out her background is to give her some form of religious faith, like maybe she grew up in a Catholic family. That could help explain her nature. She's trying to be a good woman based on how she was raised, but her super-soldier upgrades brought with them heightened hormone levels and more demanding biological imperatives. Nothing overt or preachy would show up in her speech, just that she tries to maintain a certain set of standards for herself.

If she gets flustered by a PC doing something that sets her hormones "popping and sizzling" as Lucius says, she'll just find someone to fight and work off her frustrations that way, or retreat to the base's training room and smash robots.

"Excuse me, I gotta go, um, smash the robot."

It seems like it might be best (IMO) to leave it mostly as role playing fodder. I would be hesitant to give her an Enraged. But I'm biased as I see that as an indicator that the character is violently unstable about an issue as technically they'll attack -anyone- that sets it off and might not stop there. Having her be grumpy and eager to fight but not necessarily a Psych Limitation might work. She may have a great deal of embarrassment over her condition and be very secretive and easily flustered about it being exposed perhaps a social limitation of some kind, a dark secret? The serum seems to have given her a more "masculine" sex drive in a number of ways, perhaps its also enhanced her aggression and competitive drives as well?

Hmmm... she's not really a Mind In The Gutter or Easy sort, which is part of why she sublimates her libido into crimefighting. She's a Four-Color Hero "Good Girl" in a modern setting, so she'd really like to have a steady boyfriend but is also afraid of hurting a normal human.

I'm sorry I should have been clearer. The Reputation and Features could come from the character unconsciously presenting herself as "sexually available", her body language, expression perhaps even pheromones indicate she's "ready" an instinctive level that she can't turn off even if consciously she feels differently. It's something she can't control (or it takes some degree of effort) and her mind tends to drift in carnal or risque direction if she don't focus (which would be much to her embarrassment from the sound of it).

I understand this might not fit you vision of the character but I wanted to clarify what I was talking. :)

Another way I may flesh out her background is to give her some form of religious faith' date=' like maybe she grew up in a Catholic family. That could help explain her nature. She's trying to be a good woman based on how she was raised, but her super-soldier upgrades brought with them heightened hormone levels and more demanding biological imperatives. Nothing overt or preachy would show up in her speech, just that she tries to maintain a certain set of standards for herself.[/quote']

I dunno. Most of my experience with Catholic girls indicates that they really like being "naughty". Now perhaps if she were a Baptist...? Old-school baptists (my paternal grandmother was one such) are deeply suspicious of any pleasurable experience, leading to such absurdities as former president Jimmy Carter declaring in an interview that it weas possible for a man to commit adultery with his own wife (or some other such nonsense). Liquor of any sort is sinful, sex is sinful, dancing is sinful because it might awaken one's carnal nature. Frankly, mine has insomnia :ugly:.