Effects of "Heightened Libido"?

Steve

Re: Effects of "Heightened Libido"?

It seems like it might be best (IMO) to leave it mostly as role playing fodder. I would be hesitant to give her an Enraged. But I'm biased as I see that as an indicator that the character is violently unstable about an issue as technically they'll attack -anyone- that sets it off and might not stop there. Having her be grumpy and eager to fight but not necessarily a Psych Limitation might work. She may have a great deal of embarrassment over her condition and be very secretive and easily flustered about it being exposed perhaps a social limitation of some kind' date=' a dark secret? The serum seems to have given her a more "masculine" sex drive in a number of ways, perhaps its also enhanced her aggression and competitive drives as well?[/quote']

If I add it to her character sheet, I would frame the Enraged as being set off only if a criminal sort tries to come on to her. She'd be creeped out and annoyed by the amorous attentions of someone like Bulldozer or Green Dragon. I won't add it though. She's not that unstable, but she does have some issues with her increased libido. She's not necessarily grumpy about her life, more like she's found herself a sublimation mechanism to deal with her desires.

I like the idea that she could be more aggressive and competitive in nature, and that she's got some masculine qualities to her personality. That's actually part of the subtext in her origin story.

Part of her problem stems from her being an Icon, the power set and costume she has coming from a superhero that perished in the Secret Crisis. She found the Icons store and claimed a costume, but the superhuman that she was this world's analog of was a man. Wearing the costume from the Icons store began infusing her with those powers, but the super-soldier serum which is the basis of those powers were designed for a man. Over the past several weeks, the serum is infusing itself into her body and causing some radical physical changes. Her height shot from being 5'7" in bare feet to 6'1", and her body gained muscle and bone mass accordingly and basically became the peak of female physical perfection.

The hormone changes and enhanced libido are additional results of the alterations she is experiencing.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno. Most of my experience with Catholic girls indicates that they really like being "naughty". Now perhaps if she were a Baptist...? Old-school baptists (my paternal grandmother was one such) are deeply suspicious of any pleasurable experience' date=' leading to such absurdities as former president Jimmy Carter declaring in an interview that it weas possible for a man to commit adultery with his own wife (or some other such nonsense). Liquor of any sort is sinful, sex is sinful, dancing is sinful because it might awaken one's carnal nature. Frankly, [i']mine[/i] has insomnia :ugly:.

The old joke was that Baptists didn't approve of sex because they thought it might lead to dancing.

Oh, and don't forget playing cards. Old school Baptists treated "devil cards" like unholy traps set by satin himself that could force you into gambling, drinking, maybe even dancing...

I'm sorry I should have been clearer. The Reputation and Features could come from the character unconsciously presenting herself as "sexually available", her body language, expression perhaps even pheromones indicate she's "ready" an instinctive level that she can't turn off even if consciously she feels differently. It's something she can't control (or it takes some degree of effort) and her mind tends to drift in carnal or risque direction if she don't focus (which would be much to her embarrassment from the sound of it).

I understand this might not fit you vision of the character but I wanted to clarify what I was talking. :)

Oh, I understand what you meant now. The Distinctive Features is a possibility, based on what you said. How would you suggest doing the write up such a Distinctive Features? Easily Concealable or Concealable? Major Reaction?

The nature of her thoughts being risque or carnal like you describe is an interesting notion and makes sense given her background. The superhuman identity she has assumed was that of a man, so she now has a man-like sex drive and aggression level combined with her still being very much a heterosexual female. Such thoughts would be embarassing to her, and she would be thinking about sex as often as any man, I suppose.

I dunno. Most of my experience with Catholic girls indicates that they really like being "naughty". Now perhaps if she were a Baptist...? Old-school baptists (my paternal grandmother was one such) are deeply suspicious of any pleasurable experience' date=' leading to such absurdities as former president Jimmy Carter declaring in an interview that it weas possible for a man to commit adultery with his own wife (or some other such nonsense). Liquor of any sort is sinful, sex is sinful, dancing is sinful because it might awaken one's carnal nature. Frankly, [i']mine[/i] has insomnia :ugly:.

The Catholic idea was my attempt at shorthand for her having a religious background. I picture her as being a girl from a Smallville sort of town, so I guess Baptist is a possibility or maybe Lutheran.

Those responses would possibly earn her fist to their face.

Well...duh. Hence her libido enhancement being a disadvantage. It leads to conflict with her teammates...especially the one with smart mouths.

Q: Why do Baptists never have sex standing up?

A: Someone might think they're dancing.

Well...duh. Hence her libido enhancement being a disadvantage. It leads to conflict with her teammates...especially the one with smart mouths.

There is one with a smart mouth, so she might be punching him in the face on a semi-regular basis. :)

I'm sorry I should have been clearer. The Reputation and Features could come from the character unconsciously presenting herself as "sexually available", her body language, expression perhaps even pheromones indicate she's "ready" an instinctive level that she can't turn off even if consciously she feels differently. It's something she can't control (or it takes some degree of effort) and her mind tends to drift in carnal or risque direction if she don't focus (which would be much to her embarrassment from the sound of it).

I understand this might not fit you vision of the character but I wanted to clarify what I was talking. :)

In thinking about the Distinctive Features notion, the DF description I came up with was "Unconsciously Gives Off Sexually-Provocative Signals" that is Concealable (like if she covers herself up), Detectable by Uncommon Senses (since its a collection of subtle signals that arouse sexual interest and may include pheromones combined with the way she stands, etc), and causes Major Reaction, net value 10 points.

Another way I may flesh out her background is to give her some form of religious faith, like maybe she grew up in a Catholic family. That could help explain her nature. She's trying to be a good woman based on how she was raised, but her super-soldier upgrades brought with them heightened hormone levels and more demanding biological imperatives. Nothing overt or preachy would show up in her speech, just that she tries to maintain a certain set of standards for herself.

If she gets flustered by a PC doing something that sets her hormones "popping and sizzling" as Lucius says, she'll just find someone to fight and work off her frustrations that way, or retreat to the base's training room and smash robots.

If she was already of military background, a religious, more likely Baptist, upbringing would be appropriate. I was going to say that depending on the Psych Complication, seduction Mind Control would be more likely to work ('Order matches target's Psychological Complications') but if she simply has the same sex drive AS a man, that probably wouldn't apply. Maybe just call the Psych Complication "Conflicted." :D

JG

Didn't read through all, but try to answer the original question (had a somewhat similar idea):

However' date=' in addition to turning her into a 6'1" tall, 25 STR amazon, her libido has also been enhanced by the genetic upgrade. I'm considering writing it up as a Physical Complication (Infrequent, Barely Impairing) at 5 points. She sublimates her urges into fighting crime due to having Psychological Complications like Obsessed With Crimefighting, Four-Color Hero, and Loves A Good Fight.[/quote']

How about Dependence "Must have sex or a good fight once a day"?

It's probably fairly safe to assume that if she does manage to work out her needs and desires with peak human frequency' date=' she's going to get slapped with some very mean spirited labels very quickly, so that's a potential social complication (severity depending on era).[/quote']

What if she finds her guy and he got the same treatment? Will they ever come out of the house again?

Rolplaying hooks:

Depending on how deprivation of sex/fighting affects her it could get her captured (when she was already weakened) and leave her unable to escape.

When the PC's have one good martial artist they could become "Fighting Buddies" or "Friends with Beatings" to get her to think rational on a daily basis.

Unless she has a physical need for sex and/or combat, I would avoid Dependency. Maybe Distinctive Features or a Social Complication if she flirts a lot, intentionally or not. But mostly I think this would be a Psychological Complication "High Sex Drive" that would conflict with her other Psych Comps.

As for plot hooks, I would have someone she is attracted to ask her for a favor or make her promise something that she would have trouble refusing but would cause problems later, kind of the classic honorable paladin conflict. The object of her affection may be intentionally trying to ensnare her or it might just be a seemingly simple request that gets her in far deeper than she expected.

The other plot hook that would be classic would be some villain trying to seduce her in order to ruin her reputation or just for psychological warfare. That works fine as long as she discovers the villain's intent before consumating the relationship, but it could seriously change her character if she doesn't, so you might be careful with this one.

If she was already of military background, a religious, more likely Baptist, upbringing would be appropriate. I was going to say that depending on the Psych Complication, seduction Mind Control would be more likely to work ('Order matches target's Psychological Complications') but if she simply has the same sex drive AS a man, that probably wouldn't apply. Maybe just call the Psych Complication "Conflicted." :D

JG

It's much more like the conflicted one, I think. The super-soldier serum amped up her physiology but also gave her a more "man-like" sex drive in the process. Even before gaining her powers, she was already sublimating her sex drive by being an artist, and she's studying art in college in her secret ID. However, the increased aggression and competitiveness she now has, combined with an almost supercharged libido, drove her to seek out a new form of sublimation for her desires to take the edge off. So she puts on her costume every night and goes looking for a fight to blow off steam.

Didn't read through all, but try to answer the original question (had a somewhat similar idea):

How about Dependence "Must have sex or a good fight once a day"?

What if she finds her guy and he got the same treatment? Will they ever come out of the house again?

Rolplaying hooks:

Depending on how deprivation of sex/fighting affects her it could get her captured (when she was already weakened) and leave her unable to escape.

When the PC's have one good martial artist they could become "Fighting Buddies" or "Friends with Beatings" to get her to think rational on a daily basis.

Dependence isn't quite right for her condition, I think. If she doesn't get to fight (or have sex) every day, she gets a sort of "caged tigress" vibe to her. The lack of either outlet for her desires doesn't debilitate her. Insead, she'll pace and fidget, go work out with weights, or fight robots in the training room. Even that last option isn't truly satisfying to her. Going up against a living, breathing foe is her substitute for sex, and she'll subconsiously prolong fights to make the experience last.

Going up against a living' date=' breathing foe is her substitute for sex, and [b']she'll subconsiously prolong fights to make the experience last.[/b]

Man, this is SO counter to my world view and experiences that it's like reading someone recommending trying to put out a fire with buckets of gasoline :nonp:

Ignoring that fact, the bolded part is slightly disturbing, though perhaps somewhat less so in the context of a four color comic setting where violence has no real consequence...

Also, not sure of what your game group/target audience is like, but I know several women that wouldn't appreciate the "man-like" comment in regards to a woman having an incredible sex drive. Heck, I think I know some guys that might find that sort of remark offensive...

Unless she has a physical need for sex and/or combat, I would avoid Dependency. Maybe Distinctive Features or a Social Complication if she flirts a lot, intentionally or not. But mostly I think this would be a Psychological Complication "High Sex Drive" that would conflict with her other Psych Comps.

As for plot hooks, I would have someone she is attracted to ask her for a favor or make her promise something that she would have trouble refusing but would cause problems later, kind of the classic honorable paladin conflict. The object of her affection may be intentionally trying to ensnare her or it might just be a seemingly simple request that gets her in far deeper than she expected.

The other plot hook that would be classic would be some villain trying to seduce her in order to ruin her reputation or just for psychological warfare. That works fine as long as she discovers the villain's intent before consumating the relationship, but it could seriously change her character if she doesn't, so you might be careful with this one.

I've been revising her Complications based on everyone's comments. She currently has one Distinctive Features directly related to her libido problem, "Sexual Attraction Pheromones" that is Concealable and Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction, and the other is more of a visual one, something like "Tall, Buxom, Blue-Eyed Blonde" that is Easily Concealable, Noticed and Recognized. I've also added a Social Complication "Harmful Secret (Heightened Libido)" to her list.

Thank you for the plot hook suggestions. I'll keep them in mind.

Man, this is SO counter to my world view and experiences that it's like reading someone recommending trying to put out a fire with buckets of gasoline :nonp:

Ignoring that fact, the bolded part is slightly disturbing, though perhaps somewhat less so in the context of a four color comic setting where violence has no real consequence...

Also, not sure of what your game group/target audience is like, but I know several women that wouldn't appreciate the "man-like" comment in regards to a woman having an incredible sex drive. Heck, I think I know some guys that might find that sort of remark offensive...

Perhaps I should rephrase. When I spoke of prolonging the experience, she's not by any means a masochist or sadist, but she enjoys the "dance" of combat as a substitute for sex. I suppose dance might even be something she could discover over time as another sublimation method for her desires. She's only been doing the costumed superhero thing for a few months, so fighting was her first discovered method.

My game group is all male, but they are older, long-term players and we've played for several years now. Sorry if my thoughts on her sex drive and exploring what they could mean to her character seem disturbing. I'm trying to get a solid handle on her write-up and personality.

Perhaps I should rephrase. When I spoke of prolonging the experience' date=' she's not by any means a masochist or sadist, but she enjoys the "dance" of combat as a substitute for sex. I suppose dance might even be something she could discover over time as another sublimation method for her desires. She's only been doing the costumed superhero thing for a few months, so fighting was her first discovered method.[/quote']

"Likes to Fight" has been an established Psych Disad for quite some time now. ;)

JG

Having no idea what the game is like... is this all that noteworthy in this particular super setting? Honest question :)

Superhumans in costume have only been around for a year or so. It's a 0-point Distinctive Features on her character sheet.

There are three different disorders relating to "heightened" sexual arousal, one of which is physical in nature, one of which is psychological, and one which may be both or neither. Persistent Sexual Arousal Syndrome is physical in nature and is not necessarily accompanied by an increase in sexual thoughts or impulses. Sex Addiction is primarily psychological in nature and marked by impulsive/compulsive sexual behavior. Hypersexuality(aka nymphomania/satyriasis) is an increased interest in sex, above and beyond some normative range. It may or may not be a psychological issue, and may or may not be related to hormonal drives or some form of mania/hypomania.

As described, it seems to me that her hypersexuality ISN'T the problem, it's her inability/unwillingness to directly confront it. She's ashamed to want something she's not supposed to want so much, she sublimates her impulses through "approved" (but violent) channels, gets highly uncomfortable in sexually charged situations, and reacts angrily to being teased about her sexuality. Lots of people are hypersexual, but most of them tend to address those urges more directly, by having sex or "smashing the robot". When/if the character does either, she will immediately notice a sense of relief, which will last a little while before her urges return. Eventually beating the crap out of things to sublimate her urges will have consequences foreseeable to others but not to herself(i.e., she will begin to derive sexual pleasure from violence, with all that that implies).