Why do tails cost points?

danbuter1

Re: Why do tails cost points?

Looking at both descriptions, the tails could be used for attacks, but not for picking up objects. So, a lizard man might be able to tail-slap an opponent at the same time that he tries to bite (or claw). A cat person might be able to use the tail in a similar way to trip up an opponent. Of course, if you don't see this as something that you'd like in your game, just edit the template to remove the charge.

JoeG

if the tail is completely decorative and has no abilities then it's 0 points. In those builds, as Ternaugh pointed out, they are a limb that can use the character's Strength. If they have Limited Manipulation they can be used to pick up objects - though probably not delicate or small objects, can be used to make attacks, grab things (like wrapping around a tree limb), or other such non-delicate manipulations.

This comes into play as a Limb when attempting to Grab or limit a targets movement - if you Grab Two Limbs with a normal Grab maneuver on a person it's typically their arms, but can also be their legs. With a person who has a Tail (Extra Limb) they can bring that limb into play during combat even if they can't use their arms.

In real life, tails have significant impacts on the balance of the owner (none of this answers your question, but tails can be far more interesting than just an extra limb). I'd say a felinoid would get Skill Levels with Acrobatics, Breakfall, and the like from their tail. Some animals walk differently because of their tails, which move their center of gravity back towards a center that allows for better surefootedness. It might be worth adding this kind of thing to the character description to compensate for the fact that the tail costs points (or it could just add reasonable points, justifying having a tail in the first place). You could also throw in a Disadvantage for creatures whose tails tend to give away emotional signals by their position and how they move, even make it a feature of some anthropoid societies.

Looking at both descriptions, the tails could be used for attacks, but not for picking up objects. So, a lizard man might be able to tail-slap an opponent at the same time that he tries to bite (or claw). A cat person might be able to use the tail in a similar way to trip up an opponent. Of course, if you don't see this as something that you'd like in your game, just edit the template to remove the charge.

JoeG

MY last cat surely tried to use his tail to trip my mother up many a time.

Personally I've never seen a cat use a tail for a weapon.

Actual cats?Yeah, not really. But you will note that they do not pay for an extra limb in their writups in the Bestiary.

Cat-men and cat-girls? I see this sort of thing depicted all the time in fiction/anime/video games...

Actual cats?Yeah, not really. But you will note that they do not pay for an extra limb in their writups in the Bestiary.

Cat-men and cat-girls? I see this sort of thing depicted all the time in fiction/anime/video games...

[enter lewd remark about Cat-Girl's and their tail usage]

La Rose.