Bring Out The Old!

steriaca

Re: Bring Out The Old!

Currently I am working on an extensive revamp of the Conquerors. I'm thinking about focusing Neutron to be more pro-mutant/anti-human. The main difficulty I have is that the CU already has Kinematik as the titular Magneto character and admittedly, I find he has more of what it takes to lead than Neutron. So I've decided to axe Ankylosaur and Wyvern and instead add Neutron and Arc to Kinematik's band of merry man with Neutron as the lieutenant. I'll keep him power hungry and waiting for the right moment to dethrone Kinematik and become the leader of mutantkind.

I would have loved to have been there. What was the update?

The update I did for her was nothing to major. First a name change- Disk Master, cheesy but who cares? Second, when I bought her disks, I didn't by them in a mp, there is a new rule in 5thrv that you can buy an energy blast and with +1/4 varible special effect can change it from ed to pd (or viseaversa). And just bought a couple of skills to reflect her background. On and background never made sense to me, Albino Negroid who can be hurt by the sun plays ultimate frizbee-which is outside? So I've dropped the distinctive feature and vulnerabilty. I actually have a couple of other designs/updates for her. Some with more powers to reflect her ability with the disks-think Capt. America. And one version was a ninjaesqe her name would have been Shuriken and would have ranged martial arts. But this is the verison I'm using for my daughter, simple. Thanks for asking.

Great revamp Ninja Bear.

I used Frizbe (Enemies 1) along with Skate Kate, Marbles & Tag (converted to a female) from CLOWN, Sparkler (Enemies 3) and some homemade ladies as a group for Punchinello (his Toys).

I used Hideous (Enemies 1) as a tragic street hero who just wants to be left alone.

I used Crusader as written in Underworld Enemies. He always starts off new adventures in Hudson City with new players and ends up in the Fall after a game year, leaving the protecting of HC to them.

Punchinello and Snapdragon (Enemies International) Punch is a woman hater who runs a gang of women to rob and terrorize. Snap runs a drug cartel and has had to come to Hudson City to help the gangs stop the heroes.

Sledge works for the Mob as a Uberthug.

Rainbow Archer (Enemies 3) is a merc.

Hawkknight, I too use Crusader for another game with my daughter. I remeber seeing in a friends old rulebook (I believe it was 3rd ed, that gave both a heroic or villianess background) So I changed his name to Dark Adder and he is in charge of Viper Ninjas! (An idea I once saw from some old Champions leads). I also created a really complex power for Diamond based on his picture. He has either a change enviroment or images (floating diamonds) which grant him extra DCV, unless you beat the PER roll. The diamonds obscure the line of sight. plus I believe it doesnt affect h-t-h either.

One more thing I do to when I update villians, I also make sure they have some sort of resistant defences. It's a dangerous world out there! Usually though it will be damage resistantant power so killing attacks arent as deadly both they still have the origianl pd/ed level for stun.

P.s. I didnt mention that I due change the gender sometimes, thought I was being weird there. ; )

Well' date=' I kind of updated her to a more modern-ish standpoint ... got rid of the Albinism, juiced up the variety of her weapons (as well as some of the power) and revamped the costume design quite a bit. In the end, I utilized her in my campaign along the same lines as a Flash or Spider-Man villain ;)[/quote']

Well, if she's not an albino, wears a different costume, and has a variety of weapons and powers to boot, I don't know that that's an "update"! Sounds like an all-new villainess at that point.

Nobody uses the albino frisbee villainess from the old Enemies series? For shame!

...and everyone forgets about (aboot?) the Amazing Darkon, eh?

Although he's likely another of the characters whose rights are held by the publishers of the Champions comics, since he's a recurring Flare villain. He's currently believed to have experienced a "radiation accident" that turned him into a woman and erased most of his memories, becoming "Lady Darkon". In reality, he was cast into an interdimensional void and replaced by Nyx, the Greek goddess of darkness.

Well' date=' if she's not an albino, wears a different costume, and has a variety of weapons and powers to boot, I don't know that that's an "update"! Sounds like an all-new villainess at that point.[/quote']

I see your point. I guess Disk Master is more of a reboot than an upgrade (with the gender change). Remember, I didn't change any characteristics, and the base concept and power is still there at the same levels. I learned that villians can change names. Read that one an old article for Marvel Superheroes RPG. Paste-pot-pete anyone? And costumes can change too, ala Yellowjacket. Oh and the albino thing can stay, jut how did he aquire it would be different. Instead of natural, it would be by an accident (like Tombstone) from a super battle. Curious, what do you considered an upgrade then?

I see though that a new thread should be started asking what how much do you change a base character do you consider it new.

I see your point. I guess Disk Master is more of a reboot than an upgrade (with the gender change). Remember, I didn't change any characteristics, and the base concept and power is still there at the same levels. I learned that villians can change names. Read that one an old article for Marvel Superheroes RPG. Paste-pot-pete anyone? And costumes can change too, ala Yellowjacket. Oh and the albino thing can stay, jut how did he aquire it would be different. Instead of natural, it would be by an accident (like Tombstone) from a super battle. Curious, what do you considered an upgrade then?

I see though that a new thread should be started asking what how much do you change a base character do you consider it new.

I'd call it an update/upgrade if you keep the same basics (albino, frisbees, real identity) and just add new abilities or change names. Otherwise I'd say you might as well call it an all-new character. Yellowjacket is only and update of Ant-Man because he's still Hank Pym in the costume. At least that's how I look at it.

Side note: I just read where Stan Lee said they changed Paste-Pot Pete to "the Trapster" because younger readers didn't get the humor of having an obvious loser for a villain and thought he needed to be "cooler." In my world he's still Paste-Pot Pete!

--Kap

I'd call it an update/upgrade if you keep the same basics (albino, frisbees, real identity) and just add new abilities or change names. Otherwise I'd say you might as well call it an all-new character. Yellowjacket is only and update of Ant-Man because he's still Hank Pym in the costume. At least that's how I look at it.

Side note: I just read where Stan Lee said they changed Paste-Pot Pete to "the Trapster" because younger readers didn't get the humor of having an obvious loser for a villain and thought he needed to be "cooler." In my world he's still Paste-Pot Pete!

--Kap

Thanks

...and everyone forgets about (aboot?) the Amazing Darkon, eh?

Although he's likely another of the characters whose rights are held by the publishers of the Champions comics, since he's a recurring Flare villain. He's currently believed to have experienced a "radiation accident" that turned him into a woman and erased most of his memories, becoming "Lady Darkon". In reality, he was cast into an interdimensional void and replaced by Nyx, the Greek goddess of darkness.

Speaking of Darkon, I've looked at him and I think I'm going to use him. I think based on the picture, I'm going to give him indirect on his energy blast. Anybody has a recommendation for an update?

Speaking of Darkon' date=' I've looked at him and I think I'm going to use him. I think based on the picture, I'm going to give him indirect on his energy blast. Anybody has a recommendation for an update?[/quote']

The comic book writers gave him teleportation. It appeared to be the standard "teleport through shadows" that darkness manipulators often have, so the authorities imprisoned him in a cell full of massive flood lights.

It turned out he was just humoring them; when he was ready to leave he sat down and teleported away through the shadow created at the point of contact between his body and the floor.

I just looked at an old shhet for frizbee and I originally was going to call her Disco Diva cause she has a '70s vibe- can you dig it?

I like that.

I used Frizbee once long ago, but I was always put off by the write-up saying she was "just an ordinary secretary" with Dex 30 and Speed 6. It just reeked of "stat inflation" to me -- those numbers should represent a superhuman.

As to Darkon' date=' I looked at adding opaque (sight group)to the force wall. Which makes sense but then I'll have to buy some sort of sense to be able to attack passed the force wall, unless personal immunity applies?[/quote']

I dont think personal immunity works on barriers, even if it is just the Opaque part. When you only made it opaque for the sight group, any other human sense with Targetting would work.

--Kap

Cool- thanks for that bit. In our Hell School campaign, I created a minor league villain with the same reasoning - obvious second-string, at best; The Platypus! He wore a brown hoodie, used a scarred old plexiglas riot shield and poisoned (non-lethal) darts.

I dont think personal immunity works on barriers' date=' even if it is just the Opaque part. When you only made it opaque for the sight group, any other human sense with Targetting would work.[/quote']

Well I looked into personal Immunity (5threv), and for Darkness and such, it is upto gm discretion, and they give an example of mystic darkness, so I can't see why it can't be applied to opaque. Side note, I decided against giving him night vision. So he can see through his own darkness, but not natural night!