ARMED Acronym

Uthanar

In the tradition of using words to create Acronyms I was going to work with a military division known as ARMED. In the campaign world it is going to be soldiers who are working within mechanized suits to allow them to better deal with super criminals. The meaning that I have been working with behind it is Accelerated Response Mechanized Enforcement Division.

In another world that the PCs are going to be encountering individuals from who are from their world's version of ARMED though it means something very different. This is a darker setting where heroes have joined with the government to become a harsh policing force to ensure that crime does not occur. Some of the individuals do not place any value on the nature of the crime, but instead punish all criminals equally. I thought it would be a nice introduction into ARMED to have the PCs deal with the alternate reality version of it prior to their own world's version of ARMED will be introduced to them.

With that intention I have been trying to come up with the meaning behind the ARMED acronym for the alternate Earth. The best that I have gotten to is Anticipation Recon Military Enforcement Directive.

Just wanted to get opinions and thoughts on the acronyms. Thanks all.

Re: ARMED Acronym

I like the Anti Revolution' date=' the other part might be a bit extreme. Thanks for the input![/quote']You did say it was for a dark police state.

How about:

Anti Revolution, Mayhem, Enlightenment, and Dissent. Everything against changing the status-quo (for better or worse).

When I was using Left-Hand Earth in my Teen Champions game, I kept the same names but created new acronyms for some existing organizations. But for others, I changed the name and the acronym but either stayed in the same general theme or went for the opposite. So instead of ARMED, this alternate organization could be READY, or DANGEROUS, or HOSTILE, and then you come up with a acronym for the new name. Another option is to either use a new name or use ARMED, but when the PCs ask what is stands for, have the response be "That's above your security clearance, citizen." Perhaps a cop-out, but an appropriate one for a police state.

Hope these thoughts help.

A - Armored

R - Recon

(against/for/with the/...)

M - Metahuman

E - ?

D - ?

Remember, acronyms don't have to just have the first letter of each word:

ARMoured Extrahuman Division, or something.

Fusion!

Armored Recon with the Methuman Elimination Division (D can be also Department; Just need to find something with E*). Also consider the option use other letters than the first as Part of the Acronym, i.e. A.R. Metahuman dEtention Department.

*In german you would be set. E is our most common Letter (but not nessesary the most common at the start of words).

Got it. Thanks everyone. Session went well and the characters are wondering what the heck ARMED is for a while. One of them talked to one of the agents and was informed that it was Alpha Response Military Enforcement Directive. Now they are trying to figure out what the heck that means! Was a fun day, and I look forward to my next weekend for more.