Sherpas or other high-altitude normals?

Trebuchet

Re: Sherpas or other high-altitude normals?

First: keep in mind that outer space needs Vacuum/Low Pressure plus Self Contained breathing (Expanded breathing doesn't covers vacuum, only other atmospheres/Liquids*).

If you really want it to be a power, I used this in one writeup:

2 LS: Life Support (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn); Safe in Low Pressure/Low Oxygen

It a genetic "Low oxygen" adaption. Low Pressure/Low Oxygen is half of Low Pressure/Vacuum.

The character also has some power armor abilities and a small VPP, with wich she can upgrade this to full Self Contained Breathing + LS: Low Pressure/Vacuum" for only +10 points (12 - 2 already invested).

(*In addition to your free "natural" environment, wich can be something different than Carbon/Oxygen atmosphere)

5ER lists a Life Support for Low Pressure/Vacuum but obviously even a guy from the top of the Andes can't survive in outer space.

So how best to build that ability? Just put a Limitation on the Low Pressure/Vacuum LS? Buy Environmental Movement (Mountaintops)? Very high REC?

Depending on the campaign, most useful at high altitude would likely be Life Support [Extended Breathing, 1 END per Turn] (possibly 1 END per Minute or better for more of "Pulp Era Tibet") and perhaps a high REC as well as extra ED to resist cold exposure.

Pressure doesn't get low enough to actually need it, but no reason not to add the Low Pressure/Vacuum with a Low Pressure Only (-1) if you want it a bit cinematic. You'll still need to breathe the thin air somehow though. :)

Of course, Climbing, Navigation, Survival (Arctic and Mountains) and Riding (yaks, llamas, or as locally appropriate) would be really useful too, but I realize that's slightly beside your question.

EDIT: Christopher beat me to it. :)

I'd say a Limited form of the Low Pressure Life Support for 1 pt, plus some extra REC and maybe END.

edit: there's a problem with "Extended Breathing" which I see other people touting. The problem is that while using it, as I understand the rules, YOU DO NOT GET A RECOVERY. Yes, it's officially part of the write up of diving mammals too, and it's just as problematic there. You can, of course, handwave that problem.

In my opinion, a Limited form of Low Pressure Life Support should enable you breathe in thin atmosphere. I can't see spending 5 pts on "Expanded Breathing" to include a variant on your normal atmosphere.

Lucius Alexander

Have you tried fitting an oxygen mask on a palindromedary?

If you are looking at this, you should see the "Deadliest Warrior" with the Gurkas. I might think that it would all be handled by an increased REC or END due to how they were not affected by the stress of battle as easily. Hero doesn't have anything that works as a pure fatigue aspect in game play for length of combat or play. Another way of handling this would be an endurance return or bonus recovery occurring after a number of rounds. Their training would allow them to work at high levels for longer in normal conditions. In real life that would translate to longer accurate firing, longer active periods before conserving and longer peak strength usage. It also translated to shorter and stocker builds plus massive leg strength due to mountain hiking. Rule rapists might just take the increased REC and END. Properly, it would included OCV and DCV bonus that activate with time, endurance bonus that activate with time in combat and distinct feature of stout bodies. Life Support : Expanded Breathing would be nice but it only negates penalties in those conditions without bonus in better conditons.

I think that it comes down to what affects you will impose for the high altitude and then provide benefits that get round those.

For instance, I think that I might as a GM, impose -2 REC, -20 END and say that every 20 minutes of continuous activity or every round of high energy activity (like combat) attracts 1 long term endurance.

Would be worth 2 points LS: High Altitude resistance to mitigate those effects...

:)

Doc

Hero doesn't have anything that works as a pure fatigue aspect in game play for length of combat or play.

Of course it has! Long term Endurance, 6E2 132

I think that it comes down to what affects you will impose for the high altitude and then provide benefits that get round those.

According to 6E2 144 low Pressure causes Minimum END expending/phase and might reduce your Recovery.

5ER lists a Life Support for Low Pressure/Vacuum but obviously even a guy from the top of the Andes can't survive in outer space.

So how best to build that ability? Just put a Limitation on the Low Pressure/Vacuum LS? Buy Environmental Movement (Mountaintops)? Very high REC?

Immunity: Altitude sickness 1 Pt?....

Of course it has! Long term Endurance, 6E2 132

According to 6E2 144 low Pressure causes Minimum END expending/phase and might reduce your Recovery.

That's why I specified this was for 5ER. Our gaming group doesn't use 6E. ;)

Lots of good food for thought here. Thanks everyone!