Comic book physics

Trebuchet

Yeah, I lost a lot of respect for my fellow man when the 'mainstream' sneered at my comic books for being unrealistic, then ran off to watch Soap Operas (then later Jerry Springer, and now "reality TV"). :rolleyes:

I mean really, how many freaking evil twin brothers do some of those Soap characters have?

Originally posted by Hermit

Yeah, I lost a lot of respect for my fellow man when the 'mainstream' sneered at my comic books for being unrealistic, then ran off to watch Soap Operas (then later Jerry Springer, and now "reality TV"). :rolleyes:

I mean really, how many freaking evil twin brothers do some of those Soap characters have?

If the core characters of hero games were on an island, who would get voted off first? Foxbat?

Well, I have eight evil twin brothers that I know of. And two good twin brothers that I know of. I also have three twin cousins on my father's side and at least one twin total stranger who transferred into my school back in my high school days (except he wore glasses) - let me tell you, we had a blast tricking people into thinking we were each other!

Heck, don't stop there. Most period costume dramas are as unreal to us in modern times (and presented with many historical inaccuracies) as anything from a comic book. Whenever I hear someone denouncing sci-fi, I always say, "Yeah, it's all worthless, like that crap-novel '1984.'"

"Oh, well, I don't think of '1984' as a sci-fi novel."

Usually if it has "resonance" or meaning for them, they call it "literature".

Heh

Originally posted by Supreme

Heck, don't stop there. Most period costume dramas are as unreal to us in modern times (and presented with many historical inaccuracies) as anything from a comic book. Whenever I hear someone denouncing sci-fi, I always say, "Yeah, it's all worthless, like that crap-novel '1984.'"

Agreed, it's almost as if they are embarrassed to have gotten caught. In the realms of fantasy novels, Lord of the Rings gets similar deference.

"How can you read that make believe #$#$?"

"I thought you enjoyed Lord of the Rings, the movies so far, and the trilogy?"

"Uhm.. that's social commentary..."

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Cybernaut

My response to such people is this: "I don't care if it's realistic or not. I read comics and fiction for entertainment, not a physics lesson."

Fiction is not about realism, it's about willing suspension of disbelief for fun.

Well, yeah, but a certain amount of realism certainly helps in this regard . . .

Whenever I hear someone denouncing sci-fi, I always say, "Yeah, it's all worthless, like that crap-novel '1984.'"

Heh. I guess "1984" is science fiction where the science in question is political science. Of course George Orwell intended it as a criticism of Stalinist Russia, but of course many people accused JRR Tolkein of writing about WWII allegorically in LotR.

An old Army buddy of mine used to say much the same thing about Jean Auel's "Earth's Children" series (Clan of the Cave Bear, etc,): "Of course they're science fiction, but the science is anthropology." :D

Here's to my old buddy, Mike Looney! :)

RE: Evil Twins. I used to joke that, since I have a goatee, I'm the evil one. Then I discovered I share my first and last name with a serial killer who is trying to say it was his other personality that did the killings (so thank GOD for middle names...). I don't make that joke anymore :eek:Can't find the picture anymore, but he's clean-shaven...

Soap Opera Comparison. I've said for years that the soaps and comics have something in common as far as vices go -- it's all about the characters. Once they're under your skin you can never really let them go. I've been buying Green Lanter, for example, out of sheer loyalty for the last couple of years.

Which brings me to the other similarity -- nothing destroys your enjoyment of the stories like a new writer determined to make "his/her mark" on the character...

Originally posted by TheEmerged

Soap Opera Comparison. I've said for years that the soaps and comics have something in common as far as vices go -- it's all about the characters. Once they're under your skin you can never really let them go. I've been buying Green Lanter, for example, out of sheer loyalty for the last couple of years.

Comic books are soap operas with a better special effects budget.

Heck, don't stop there. Most period costume dramas are as unreal to us in modern times (and presented with many historical inaccuracies) as anything from a comic book.

Ah, C'mon, Supreme. You know The Patriot was 100% accurate. Col. Martin was a fine example of Cherokee taught ninja commandoes that earned this country it's freedom. Man, if they had only got Seagal to play him, everything would have been perfect.

Martin to Tavington: I once knew a Frenchman (mumble) (mumble) They both (incomprehensible) wrong. Now die!

Glad you can afford comics these days, I swear they are more expensive then drugs these days. (of course I have my own addiction as well, I have over $8,000 in UHF, VHF, and 6meter Radio Gear)

Funny thing is i have a friend who accepts, but doesn't find my gamming interesting. As she put it, the other year i "dragged" her to see Lord of the Rings. By the next year, she came home to visit, she has read the whole series (i haven't read book one) and she insisted i take her to the opening night of Two Towers.

it's all about the characters. Once they're under your skin you can never really let them go. I've been buying Green Lanter, for example, out of sheer loyalty for the last couple of years.

I'm the opposite - invariably I buy a comic for the writer. I haven't bought an issue of Avengers since the end of Busiek's run.