Metal Skin

TheNaga

Re: Metal Skin

The implied inherent defenses are resistant against such things as needles, scalpels, etc.

I have one character that is x-ray impermeable. There's no point cost attached. It is just the way the character is. Unless there's another means available, it makes just about any serious injury require exploratory surgery.

The character has ability assume a metal form just like Colossus. I was thinking that when the character is metal form it the metal defies some forms of conventional medical treatment.

If the character gets, "stuck" in his metal form you might model it with Accidental Change. If he can turn it off at will then it's just a special effect.

The implied inherent defenses are resistant against such things as needles, scalpels, etc.

I have one character that is x-ray impermeable. There's no point cost attached. It is just the way the character is. Unless there's another means available, it makes just about any serious injury require exploratory surgery.

I have character which i am going to convert into Champions from Heroes Unlimited who is invisible to all form of mechanical detections, photographic devices and sensor including radar, motion detections, heat sensors, cameras (appears as barely noticeable smudge or blur on the film or video tape). That means that all technology which is meant to save a person's life does not work on this character at all. That is a power from Heroes Unlimited and it is called Cloaking.

I have character which i am going to convert into Champions from Heroes Unlimited who is invisible to all form of mechanical detections' date=' photographic devices and sensor including radar, motion detections, heat sensors, cameras (appears as barely noticeable smudge or blur on the film or video tape). That means that all technology which is meant to save a person's life does not work on this character at all. That is a power from Heroes Unlimited and it is called Cloaking.[/quote']

Here is a key concept you need to understand.

What other systems like Heroes Unlimited are calling "powers" are what Hero System considered "abilities" built from the core Powers (including any uses of Advantages and Limitations).

Ask 5 different Hero System players how to convert something from another particular system (like Heroes Unlimited) into Hero System and you will very likely get 5 different answers. None are necessarily any "better" than any of the others.

Well...whole lot of operating assumptions going on here.

Is this character for a campaign where it actually matters that the character has some difficulty being operated on? As in it is even possible that this would be anything other than just "color"?

In most superhero / Champions campaigns the answer would be _no_, as the game as played with the genre conventions in effect for the typical Champions campaign is neither lethal nor gritty and superheroes going to the doctor never comes up as anything other than an odd plot point, if ever.

If this is a character for a grittier, more lethal, more realistic campaign where having difficulties receiving medical treatment is actually a legitimate problem for the character, then sure you can model it as a Disadvantage / Complication. It would generally be worth no more than a 5 point physical limitation.

The character is an army brat with both parent in the military. I am thinking both of this character's parents are flatscans (not mutants). So what would be some reason he would follow in the character's parents footsteps and join the army right out of high school?. Would his mutant powers make the character good for joining a special force team such as the Ranger or Green Beret? What rank could the character be if thirty years right now? What character could I look to help me set up his skills and would be good in helping me setting up his history?

What could I do to make this character power more then just have the the ability to assume the metal form of Colossus? I would like one to two more powers if they do keep me from setting up the rest of the character.

All powers have a +0 modifier (or -0 modifier) that indicates that SFX can have minor bonuses and penalties. For instance if you have metal skin you can not get a flu jab in the normal way, but, on the plus side, you're never stuck for a mirror.

Unless this is likely to have a lot of in-game impact, I'd probably just do it as a SFX note. If it is, how about a Physical Complication? Occasionally slightly limiting, probably, worth about 5 points. What Killer Shrike said.

Well...whole lot of operating assumptions going on here.

Is this character for a campaign where it actually matters that the character has some difficulty being operated on? As in it is even possible that this would be anything other than just "color"?

In most superhero / Champions campaigns the answer would be _no_, as the game as played with the genre conventions in effect for the typical Champions campaign is neither lethal nor gritty and superheroes going to the doctor never comes up as anything other than an odd plot point, if ever.

If this is a character for a grittier, more lethal, more realistic campaign where having difficulties receiving medical treatment is actually a legitimate problem for the character, then sure you can model it as a Disadvantage / Complication. It would generally be worth no more than a 5 point physical limitation.

Actually this concept probally comes up more than first thought. If the skin is hard enough to stop needles, then there is a small set of power concepts that would either negate or induce a the defense of an NND. Also for the complication point of view, this would act as a negative modifier to Paramedic rolls and related medical rolls. I'm thinking of the scene from Justice league unlimited (iirc) where they meet Aquaman (he has a hook for a hand) for the first time and when the doctors try to help him, the needle just bends. So I would go with the 5 pt limitation.

Regarding getting into the military and rank, that would probably depend on the world the character is created in and how it reacts to mutants. If the military does actively recruit mutants, they are probably going to offer more benefits like higher rank and such. If the military is adverse to having mutants, they may require waivers and limit the mutants that serve.

I think the army would like mutant because they have abilities that could come in handy in combat.

Well it depends.

Most of your characters tend to look like monsters being 10+ foot tall with horns and claws. These tend to stand out in the field and will attract a lot of attention. So no covert operations.

Your characters also seemed to be anti heroes with a tendancy to just want to maim and kill things in horrific ways. Which is again what the military want if you are the last man standing on your side so you kill all the enemy amd not any friendly targets. But how about in aggresive stand offs where there is no need to kill everyone and you have a character that is just a hair trigger of killing everyone in a whole block?

All of your previous character options have been like this. Is this the plan for this character???

What the military want is a well trained soldier with super powers. So lots of skills in tactics, team work, KS military, stealth, tracking, covert skills etc. And not just a mutant that can take lots of damage and still keep going.

But also the mentality of being a good soldier who follows orders and does not have beserk complications and the need to drain life forces from people.

Most military units would have mutants that are well trained and will follow orders and only kill when they order you to kill.

So is this another monster with metal skin?