Cassandra's Corner

Cassandra

Hi everyone. This thead is where I'll be putting all my ideas from now on. My first topic is being the member of a superteam. Even if you game just a few friends and allies it's possible that your team could be members of a much larger group. What are the advantages and disadvantages? First the latter.

5 DNPC: Current Superhero Group Assignment (Useful Normal) 8-

10 Hunted: Superhero Group (More Powerful/NCI/Watch) 8-

10 Hunted: Superhero Group Enemies (As Powerful) 8-

The DNPC is a mission you undertake for the larger group. For some reason you have been assigned to protech something or someone. A brilliant professor has come up with a new energy source and is well protected, but his daughter is not. You have to watch her, and maybe she hates superheroes.

The Watched by the superhero group is when you do something questionable as a superhero, or accused of doing so. Framed by a villain, the group steps into investigates and suggests you turn yourself in. Like that's going to happen.

The Hunted is obvious. They target you in order to lure the group into a trap, or just because you're member. Or you might have discovered a plot against the group, and have to deal with it.

Here are some advantages

2 Rep: Superhero Group Member 11-

2 KS: Superhero World 11

8 ES: RPT, IIF: Superhero Group Radio (-1/4)

13 VPP 10 Points, Can only be changed at a Superhero Group Base (-1/2)

The Reputation gets you some respect and cooperation by the authorities if the group, and fear on the part of the villains who might not want to risk taking on the group.

The KS: Superhero World is the intelligence the other members of the group are constantly gathering.

The VPP is used whenever the member needs a device to defeat the villain, or defend themselves against a special attack, or even enter a hostile environment and needs life support.

Comment Welcome

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cassandra's Corner

Hi Everyone. A few random thoughts today.

In Iron Man 2 War Machine lands at Edwards Air Force base, and we see a number of Air Force personel identified from Rhodey's point of view. I was thinking about how to put something like this in game terms.

Computer Link to U.S. Air Force, OIF: War Machine (-1/2)

Cost 4 Points

I like to keep things simple, which brings me to another point. There are so many options in Champions that one is tempted to use everything. But is that necessary or even desirable. As many of you know I like creating low level characters built on 250 points. 350 Points in theory allows you to build well rounded characters but there is a temptation of create the superhero equivalent of a M-1 Abrams tank. Good to fight with, but lacking personality.

In buliding lower level characters you have to avoid getting bogged down in details. For example, many knowledge skills can be covered by more general skills like Criminology, Deduction, Streetwise. INT rolls can be used to figure out how to do things when you don't have the actual skills or language. Cramming and VPP are very useful in simulating the abiltity of a hero get the skill or device needed to defeat the current villain.

Regarding VPP, a good example of one is Tony Stark in Iron Man. He builds his powered armor using bits and pieces of weapons and technology provided by his captors. You'd have to take a Focus Limitation on the control costs to simulate the use of technology, but that fits in well with the character.

Speaking of Iron Man, I've realized that Multiform is perfect to represent the various types of Armor that Tony uses. Standard Armor, Stealth Armor, Underwater Armor, Space Armor. Another advantage is that Tony can have the High Society and the Money: Filthy Rich and while the Iron Man gets the Navigation [Air], Bump of Direction OIF, and Computer Link OIF.

Hi Everyone. A few random thoughts today.

In Iron Man 2 War Machine lands at Edwards Air Force base, and we see a number of Air Force personel identified from Rhodey's point of view. I was thinking about how to put something like this in game terms.

Computer Link to U.S. Air Force, OIF: War Machine (-1/2)

Cost 4 Points

Have not seen the film yet, but I think this is more a function of Jarvis. So I would propably add "Linked to HRRP" (or whatever else he uses for communication).

Regarding VPP' date=' a good example of one is Tony Stark in Iron Man. He builds his powered armor using bits and pieces of weapons and technology provided by his captors. You'd have to take a Focus Limitation on the control costs to simulate the use of technology, but that fits in well with the character.[/quote']

He built his Mk 1 that way, because his origin story said so.

Speaking of Iron Man' date=' I've realized that Multiform is perfect to represent the various types of Armor that Tony uses. Standard Armor, Stealth Armor, Underwater Armor, Space Armor. Another advantage is that Tony can have the High Society and the Money: Filthy Rich and while the Iron Man gets the Navigation [Air'], Bump of Direction OIF, and Computer Link OIF.

I would go with a small to decent VPP instead. Especially small things like "Optical Cloak" and "LS: Self Contained Breathing + Cold + High Pressure" can easily be done with a 20/20 VPP. When he starts changign his weapons, it's propably best to buy all his weapons inside the VPP (wich can only be changed at home).

Who has more fun, Clark Kent or Jay Garrick?

In game terms Lois Lane is a DNPC Useful Unaware Normal. She has just enough skills to get into trouble, and with a desire to prove Clark Kent is Superman. This leaves the Man of Steel with the burden of saving her while protecting his secret identity. A true challenge but not practical.

The golden age Flash, Jay Garrick's girl friend Joan knew that he was a supehero from the get go. While she was a useful normal he didn't have to explain why he had to run off, and she supported him, especially when she needed to be rescued. Furthermore, this verion of the Flash really didn't have a secret identity per se.

Which brings me to my point. Do you really have to have a secret identity? Not taking a SocL: Secret Identity doesn't mean that your dual identity isn't known to the public, you'd have to take Public Identity for that. It just means that your friends and family know about you being a superhero. You can even take a Rep: Superhero to enjoy the positive aspects of being a crime fighter while avoiding the pitfalls.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/88559-Team-as-characters?highlight=palindromedary

The Team

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

0 PD -2 Total: 0 PD (0 rPD)

0 ED -2 Total: 0 ED (0 rED)

0 BODY -2

Total Characteristic Cost: -6

Movement:

Cost Powers END

20 Patron Wizard's mysterious workings: Luck 2d6, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (20 Active Points) 0

Perks

6 Positive Reputation (A large group) 14-, +1/+1d6, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (6 Active Points)

1 Team Funds: Money: Well Off (3 Active Points); Required Multiple Users ([5-8] people; -¾), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼)

2 Communications Link, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (2 Active Points)

6 Well Connected, all slots Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (6 Active Points)

12 1) Contact: Local Law Enforcement (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity), Organization Contact (x3) (16 Active Points) 12-

8 2) Contact: FBI (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact limited by identity), Organization Contact (x3) (12 Active Points) 11-

6 3) Contact: Wealthy Benefactor (Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact) (8 Active Points) 8-

4 4) Contact: Powerful magical patron (Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity) (6 Active Points) 8-

2 5) Contact: Fan Club (Contact limited by identity, Good relationship with Contact) (4 Active Points) 11-

0 6) Contact: Assorted people the team has helped (Contact limited by identity, Good relationship with Contact) (2 Active Points) 8-

Talents

2 +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters) (3 Active Points); Only In Alternate Identity (In uniform; -¼)

Skills

6 Teamwork 9-, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (6 Active Points)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 75

Total Cost: 69

200+ Matching Complications

16 Contribution: 2 pts per member

10 Hunted: Viper Infrequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

5 Hunted: News Media Frequently (Less Pow; NCI; Watching)

5 Hunted: Law Enforcement Infrequently (As Pow; NCI; Watching)

10 Hunted: Assorted villains - an enemy to one is an enemy to all Infrequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

5 Hunted: Patrons and Benefactors Infrequently (Mo Pow; Watching)

10 Social Complication: Duties and commitments to the team Frequently, Minor (assuming you WANT to be a superhero)

10 Dependent NPC: Assorted friends and relations of the characters, up to two at a time Frequently (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC (or LESS), Useful Noncombat Position or Skills, Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs

Total Complications Points: 69

Campaign Use: This is an example of a "Team Membership" built using the Base template. There is no actual building or grounds, although that could be added if the team has an actual base. It illustrates how various abilities could be bought so as to be shared among a group, and how Complications as well as Assets can be pooled.

The Hero Designer File is in the linked thread

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary reminds me I have paperwork

Which brings me to my point. Do you really have to have a secret identity? Not taking a SocL: Secret Identity doesn't mean that your dual identity isn't known to the public' date=' you'd have to take Public Identity for that. It just means that your friends and family know about you being a superhero. You can even take a Rep: Superhero to enjoy the positive aspects of being a crime fighter while avoiding the pitfalls.[/quote']

I don't think you need to take a Secret/Public ID. And if you do, you don't need to get it on full point value.

I once played a character with Public ID, but at low point value. Everybody could just easily follow her, but somehow nobdoy thought about it.

The same about her parrents: Thanks to her public ID finding them would be easy. She would not be around to stop them (campaign: America. Parents: German). But I did not take the DNCP for them. The bad guys knew they were there, but flying all the way to Germany just to capture them? Not really worth the effort....

For the record all of my discussions are based on the Hero Games 5th Edition.

Today it's science project time. Let's say you have a mad scientist who has built a hand held death ray. Something like this.

EB 10d6, [16c] (-0), OAF: Death Ray

Cost 25 Points

Sure, it's powerful against normals, but your arch-nemesis is a muscle bound boy scout whose DEX 14 is low compaired to his martial arts using dark avenger pal, but still matches your own, and those of your army of mercenaries. Of course he's a PD 25 ED 15, so the Death Ray could hurt, but how do you hit him more then once before he takes it away from you and turns it into a useless metal ball?

With a multipower of course

Multipower (50 Points) [16c] (-0), OAF: Death Ray (-1)

u) EB 10d6

u) Drain to SPD 2d6, Ranged (+1/2), AE 3"r (+1), Only versus those with Appropriate Psychological Limitations (-1/2), Activates 15- (-1/4)

u) Entangle 2d6, DEF 2, Takes No Damage (+1/2), AE 3"r (+1), Only versus those with those with Appropriate Psychological Limitations (-1/4),

Activates 15- (-1/4)

Total Cost: 29 Points

The Appropriate Psychological Limitations are Code of the Hero, Protective of Innocents, Will Sacrifice Themselves for Others, etc. The Special Effect is you fire a death ray burst toward a group of Innocent People. The activation role is the possiblity of putting those Innocent People in Danger. The Hero is forced to protect them, thus draining their SPD while he prevents a roof from caving in, keeps a truck from running over someone, etc. The Entangle robs the his DCV (remember, 0 SPD would keep the target from taking action, but they retain their full DCV), thus making him an easy target for your death ray.

Here is an example

Centurion confronts Professor Evil during a bank robbery. Instead of firing his death ray at Centurion, Professor Evil fires at one of the load bearing walls, and the roof begins to cave in (Drain to SPD). Centurion now has to hold the roof up so that the innocents in the bank won't be crushed. Professor Evil fires again, this time knocking out a number of innocent people (Entangle), keeping Centurion in place. Then Professor Evil keeps blasting the helpless hero until he passes out.

For a nasty surprise against supeheroes with Susceptibilities here us something special

Change Environment AE 1"r, Broad Effects "Any Radiation", [6c/Duration 1 Minute] (-1), Linked to Entangle (-1/2), OAF: Radioactive Elements (-1)

4 Points

This Link's specially effect is dropping something like "argonite" near the innocent people. Will the Hero be able to save the innocents before the susceptility does them in (i.e., SPD returns so they can break the entangle)?

Here are a basic group of Mercenaries every master villain needs

Mercenary

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

14 DEX 12

13 CON 6

10 BODY 0

10 INT 0

10 EGO 0

15 PRE 5

10 COM 0

5 PD 2

3 ED 0

3 SPD 6

6 REC 0

26 END 0

25 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 36 Points

Cost Skills

2 CSL: EB +1

2 CSL: HA +1

3 Concealment 11-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Teamwork 12-

Total Skills Cost: 14 Points

Cost Powers

12 Armor +7 rPD +5 rED, OIF: Body Armor (-1/2)

25 EB 8d6, [16c/4 Clips] (-0), OAF: Rifle (-1)

5 ES: RPT, OAF: Radio (-1)

12 HA +5d6, HTH Attack (-1/2), 1/2 END (+1/4), OAF: Club (-1)

2 Running +1"

Total Powers Cost: 51 Points

Total Cost: 100 Points

50+ Disadvantages

20 Hunted: Superheroes (More Powerful/NCI) 8-

15 PsyL: Mercenary (Common/Strong)

15 SocL: Subject to Orders (Frequently/Major)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 100 Points

These mercenaries are able to coordinate their attacks using teamwork to overwhelm a superheroes defenses. They can conceal themselves for an ambush, or sneak up on a target using stealth.

For those who wonder what it's like to have the U.S. Government as a NCI Hunted, I highly recommend Spartan with Val Kilmer. Written and Directed by David Mamet it shows you what a 150 Point character can do.

Here is an example

Centurion confronts Professor Evil during a bank robbery. Instead of firing his death ray at Centurion, Professor Evil fires at one of the load bearing walls, and the roof begins to cave in (Drain to SPD). Centurion now has to hold the roof up so that the innocents in the bank won't be crushed. Professor Evil fires again, this time knocking out a number of innocent people (Entangle), keeping Centurion in place. Then Professor Evil keeps blasting the helpless hero until he passes out.

Some fantastic ideas Cassandra! I've always liked your character profiles.

Question - in the case of the SPD drain deathray, what does it mean when the hero has Power defense 10 then?

For the record all of my discussions are based on the Hero Games 5th Edition.

Today it's science project time. Let's say you have a mad scientist who has built a hand held death ray. Something like this.

EB 10d6, [16c] (-0), OAF: Death Ray

Cost 25 Points

Sure, it's powerful against normals, but your arch-nemesis is a muscle bound boy scout whose DEX 14 is low compaired to his martial arts using dark avenger pal, but still matches your own, and those of your army of mercenaries. Of course he's a PD 25 ED 15, so the Death Ray could hurt, but how do you hit him more then once before he takes it away from you and turns it into a useless metal ball?

With a multipower of course

Multipower (50 Points) [16c] (-0), OAF: Death Ray (-1)

u) EB 10d6

u) Drain to SPD 2d6, Ranged (+1/2), AE 3"r (+1), Only versus those with Appropriate Psychological Limitations (-1/2), Activates 15- (-1/4)

u) Entangle 2d6, DEF 2, Takes No Damage (+1/2), AE 3"r (+1), Only versus those with those with Appropriate Psychological Limitations (-1/4),

Activates 15- (-1/4)

Total Cost: 29 Points

The Appropriate Psychological Limitations are Code of the Hero, Protective of Innocents, Will Sacrifice Themselves for Others, etc. The Special Effect is you fire a death ray burst toward a group of Innocent People. The activation role is the possiblity of putting those Innocent People in Danger. The Hero is forced to protect them, thus draining their SPD while he prevents a roof from caving in, keeps a truck from running over someone, etc. The Entangle robs the his DCV (remember, 0 SPD would keep the target from taking action, but they retain their full DCV), thus making him an easy target for your death ray.

Here is an example

For a nasty surprise against supeheroes with Susceptibilities here us something special

Change Environment AE 1"r, Broad Effects "Any Radiation", [6c/Duration 1 Minute] (-1), Linked to Entangle (-1/2), OAF: Radioactive Elements (-1)

4 Points

This Link's specially effect is dropping something like "argonite" near the innocent people. Will the Hero be able to save the innocents before the susceptility does them in (i.e., SPD returns so they can break the entangle)?

Here are a basic group of Mercenaries every master villain needs

Mercenary

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

14 DEX 12

13 CON 6

10 BODY 0

10 INT 0

10 EGO 0

15 PRE 5

10 COM 0

5 PD 2

3 ED 0

3 SPD 6

6 REC 0

26 END 0

25 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 36 Points

Cost Skills

2 CSL: EB +1

2 CSL: HA +1

3 Concealment 11-

3 Stealth 12-

3 Teamwork 12-

Total Skills Cost: 14 Points

Cost Powers

12 Armor +7 rPD +5 rED, OIF: Body Armor (-1/2)

25 EB 8d6, [16c/4 Clips] (-0), OAF: Rifle (-1)

5 ES: RPT, OAF: Radio (-1)

12 HA +5d6, HTH Attack (-1/2), 1/2 END (+1/4), OAF: Club (-1)

2 Running +1"

Total Powers Cost: 51 Points

Total Cost: 100 Points

50+ Disadvantages

20 Hunted: Superheroes (More Powerful/NCI) 8-

15 PsyL: Mercenary (Common/Strong)

15 SocL: Subject to Orders (Frequently/Major)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 100 Points

These mercenaries are able to coordinate their attacks using teamwork to overwhelm a superheroes defenses. They can conceal themselves for an ambush, or sneak up on a target using stealth.

Interesting use of Special effects.

Some fantastic ideas Cassandra! I've always liked your character profiles.

Question - in the case of the SPD drain deathray, what does it mean when the hero has Power defense 10 then?

I was wondering about that too. But that might have as much to do with the catch all nature of Power Defense as much as the Power.

Thank you Phoenix and Neogeo for the question about Power Defense. This works into another time honored superhero convention, the hero coming up with a way of defeating the villains current plan. The answer is deceptively simple. The VPP.

Let's say that Centurion as a "Tower of Isolation" filled with Argonian Scientific devices. This comes in the form of a VPP 10 Points, OIF (-1/2), May only be changed at a base (-1/2) 12 Points

Using the above example Centurion barely survives the death trap he was placed in. Buring with Argonite poisoning (-11 Body out of 12) he manages to fly back to the Tower and uses the advanced First aid device (Healing: Regeneration 1 BODY/Turn, OAF). After he is brought back to health, Centurion decides to come up with a way to defeat Professor Evil's new tactics. He builts a Temporal Booster (Power Defense 15 Points, OIF) which will allow him to speed up and rescue any hostages before the Professor can put them in danger. He hears of a report of Professor Evil hitting another back, and flies off using Megascale flight for the next round.

Was watching Iron Man 2 again and got to thinking. The comic book version has a number of different attack options. While a multipower is a natural one of the slots should have a Variable Special Effects [Any] option.

Question to all. If you take a Variable Special Effects [Any] for +1/2, and you take a -1/4 for No Magic Special Effects?

Who has more fun, Clark Kent or Jay Garrick?

In game terms Lois Lane is a DNPC Useful Unaware Normal. She has just enough skills to get into trouble, and with a desire to prove Clark Kent is Superman. This leaves the Man of Steel with the burden of saving her while protecting his secret identity. A true challenge but not practical.

The golden age Flash, Jay Garrick's girl friend Joan knew that he was a supehero from the get go. While she was a useful normal he didn't have to explain why he had to run off, and she supported him, especially when she needed to be rescued. Furthermore, this verion of the Flash really didn't have a secret identity per se.

Which brings me to my point. Do you really have to have a secret identity? Not taking a SocL: Secret Identity doesn't mean that your dual identity isn't known to the public, you'd have to take Public Identity for that. It just means that your friends and family know about you being a superhero. You can even take a Rep: Superhero to enjoy the positive aspects of being a crime fighter while avoiding the pitfalls.

Well sure...thats kinda the whole point, your identity is not a problem........people you want to know,know, persons you don't want to know don't......

Actually having neither a Secret ID' date=' nor a Public ID means that people that want to know, can with some effort, find out who you are.[/quote']

Public ID Complication means your character is easy to find/identifiy, wich will become a problem during play.

Secret ID Complication means your character has to work to keep his secret, wich will become a problem during play.

Having neither could mean:

Public ID, but hard to find (Dr. Fate, an Ilusionist/Shape Shifter)

Secret ID but with a very good trick to keep his private life running (say having a Live Model Decoy that takes over and shares memory/enough people to cover for hsi absence/being the disembodies mind/mental projection of a coma patient).

Hi again.

Here is an example of dealing with being covered. Wonder Woman the TV series, last episode of the second season "The Murderous Missile"

Wonder Woman bursts through a barn wall and confronts a pair of bad guys. She tosses one aside, and deflects a couple of bullets fired by the other. The villain then covers a seemingly innnocent who has entered the barn unexpectedly. Wonder Woman is told that if she doesn't allow herself to locked up he'll kill the innocent.

Fortunately Wonder Woman has acrobatics, which she uses to put on a show which distracts the villains into dropping his covering the innocent, and she knocks him out with a single strike.

Unfortunately the "Innocent" turned out to be the master mind who just happened to have sleight of hand and a EB NND (LS: Self Contained), and Wonder woman has a 2x Vulnerability: Chloroform and Sleep Gas.

Wonder Woman ends up Entangled with chains in a Cell, and the villain who has Overcofidence, explains his plan to her without removing her STR +30, NFC (-1/2), No END (+1/2) IAF: Magic Belt. She breaks free and eventually captures him (after a motorcycle chase?)

Public ID Complication means your character is easy to find/identifiy, wich will become a problem during play.

Secret ID Complication means your character has to work to keep his secret, wich will become a problem during play.

Having neither could mean:

Public ID, but hard to find (Dr. Fate, an Ilusionist/Shape Shifter)

Secret ID but with a very good trick to keep his private life running (say having a Live Model Decoy that takes over and shares memory/enough people to cover for hsi absence/being the disembodies mind/mental projection of a coma patient).

Doesn't matter how you cover the lack of complication. Having neither means that ID is fair game for the GM.

Doesn't matter how you cover the lack of complication. Having neither means that ID is fair game for the GM.

Absolutely no. Not having a complcation means this area is not "fair game" for the GM. It's the absolute opposite of fair game. The player has the option to decide what will play a major role in the game by choosing or not choosing a complication.

What you talk about is like giving someone a Hunted without any reason and certainly not a example of good GM-ing.

Except that Hunteds that aren't worth any points are generated within the game itself through play. Complications/disads are those problems that exist for the character prior to the game beginning. They can be altered through game play, but something will still be there and problems will be created for which the players will not gain points for beyond normal experience.