Calling all Green Lanterns

Asperion

In most campaigns, there will be in some form of some clone of the ever-popular character Green Lantern. The character does not need to use a power ring like the namesake character, the only thing that matters is that the character gets his powers through some strange device (ala GL). It could be as simple as a direct copy and having a normal human with a power ring, or a person with a mystical suit that grants magical powers. When considered the possibilities are actually endless for such a character. I am curious as to what variations you have made on this over-popular archetype.

Re: Calling all Green Lanterns

1. Golden Gauntlet was my 1st 5e attempt at a version back in '07.
  2. Green Lantern and his Power Ring was another 5e response to a challenge that the 'Classic JLA' couldn't be built on 350/starting points back in '08 (this was during an extended period of unemployment).
  3. And here is a link to the 6e 400 point update to #2 that I posted back in '10.

Mine was one that I made for a friend. The character name was Redshift and (after a radiation accident) was called Doppler. He had radiation powers. Now, the GL pastiche came from the extended origin. The Eloi (an alien race) were at war with a race of energy beings that were pure emotion and chaos, they were simply called the Id. The Eloi needed soldiers and they recruited people that already had metapowers for their army. They gave them a suit that bore their symbol and the suit provided full lifesupport, flight, FTL travel, a universal translator, and a 1/2 END modifier to all their powers.

Never in the 8 years that the character was played did he ever learn the name of organization. They were called the StarGuard.

In large parts Grey Angel fits that concept.

She has the ability to create a sort of Power Armor and Energy Weapons from super-fast growing, self reparing crystalls and has a high amount of technicdal knowledge. My original built aimed for Multiple Alternate forms (at least one Standart warrior, one Scout form; possible one heavy warrior and one "driver" that can create vehciles) but if I get the chance too I propably just give her a 50-60 AP VPP with a lot of real points.

Her powers include protection (self repairing armor), flight (antigravity), non-FTL space flight (antigravity or vehicles), a small VPP for Life Supports and minor powers (adapting the armor; enough to be come space worthy), an array of energy weapons (one Only Stun, Low energy Blast; one normal Blast; normal RKA; Armor Piercing RKA) and some minor powers (slow Regen; minor life supports) from genetic Engineering.

Official story (after some thinking) is that she found an aliens space ship and thier dying pilot imparted her with thier knowledge and the power to create these crystall-technology.

In reality she was a one-shot time traveller from a not so nice future. And time travelling with 95% destroyed the timeline for good. She is the last of New Edens Knights (the military of what is left of humanity). I even managed to adapt the GL-Vow with help from the forum*:

In Lumines Day, in Umbrals Night

Ariah's Dream still survives.

Let those who threathen human lives

beware my power... New Edens Knight!

*What is left of humanity does not lives in Sol anymore, so technically she is even an extraterestial.

The current official Champions Universe has its own close analogue to the Green Lantern Corps, called the Star*Guard. Their powers come from a stellar-energized Star-Staff, and all StarGuards are trained in staff-based martial arts. The StarGuard for Earth's sector, Andre Almena, is at the foreground of the cover to Champions Beyond:

HERDOJHERO1106E_500.jpeg

Guest steamteck

The closest thing I have is Force Commander. He has a suit of light powered armor which can create force fields in just about any shape and allows him to crazily multitask.

In one of our games, Blue Blaze was a GL homage with strange Egyptian bracers that let him harness and shape mystical energy for a variety of purposes. It was one of the most powerful weapons in the universe.

(Un?)Fortunately, he was based on really well meaning version of this guy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42677[/ATTACH]

Also, lets not forget Orion, now a member of the Ultimates in 6E.

The current official Champions Universe has its own close analogue to the Green Lantern Corps' date=' called the [b']Star*Guard[/b]. Their powers come from a stellar-energized Star-Staff, and all StarGuards are trained in staff-based martial arts. The StarGuard for Earth's sector, Andre Almena, is at the foreground of the cover to Champions Beyond:

A) I called my corps the StarGuard and I demand royalties! :D

B) I bought it, but I bought a stack of things and haven't read that one yet.

C) Is it me or does he favor another GL pastiche?

24523-3652-27286-1-star-brand_super.jpg

Starbrand really wasn't much of a GL pastiche. The brand's basic power gives super-strength' date=' flight, invulnerability, and energy bursts (Radius, no range), as well as immortality and regeneration.[/quote']

Neither did Nova, beut he is clearly a GL pastiche. Dying Alien with superpowers passes power along to successor. Definitely a swipe at the origin.

No :(

But didn't StarGuard International (from SuperAgents) have the *?

Nope.

To be fair, the Star*Guard as a whole is designated with the asterisk. Individual members are just rendered as a "StarGuard."

And speaking of pastiches' date=' SGI was Jonny Quest.[/quote']

Not explicitly stated, but it's pretty clear that's who "Dr. J.A. Quest" was intended to be. Just as it wasn't explicitly stated that he had Magnum, P.I. working for him. :sneaky:

Has anyone mentioned Star Sapphire and the Emerald Empress are basically gender-switched Green Lanterns?

Certainly so in the case of Star Sapphire. In the case of the Empress, the Eye of Erkon gave her a variety of powers originally and was later retconned into being a prototype for the power rings. So, in that sense I can see it.

Not explicitly stated' date=' but it's pretty clear that's who "Dr. J.A. Quest" was intended to be. Just as it wasn't explicitly stated that he had Magnum, P.I. working for him. :sneaky:[/quote']

I didn't recall the Magnum PI reference. I'll need to go read that entry again. SGI was actually my favorite agency from that book because I wanted Doug Wildey's updated series of an Adult Jonny Quest to be realized. It, sadly, never was.

Certainly so in the case of Star Sapphire. In the case of the Empress' date=' the Eye of Erkon gave her a variety of powers originally and was later retconned into being a prototype for the power rings. So, in that sense I can see it.[/quote']

According to Wikipedia the Star Saphire is now the Power Source for the Violet Lantern Corps (Love). All that power of Love for one person was just too much, leading to the rather agressive Star Saphires.

According to Wikipedia the Star Saphire is now the Power Source for the Violet Lantern Corps (Love). All that power of Love for one person was just too much' date=' leading to the rather agressive Star Saphires.[/quote']

Yep. They actually have pretty cool powers. Their ability to travel anywhere that love is in danger, for example.

According to Wikipedia the Star Saphire is now the Power Source for the Violet Lantern Corps (Love). All that power of Love for one person was just too much' date=' leading to the rather agressive Star Saphires.[/quote']

While they use the Violet Light of Love, last I checked they still called the group the Star Sapphires.

Yep. They actually have pretty cool powers. Their ability to travel anywhere that love is in danger' date=' for example.[/quote']

I vaguely remember that, in the follow-up to Crisis on Infinite Earths, DC was going to introduce a new superhero with the power to teleport to the most powerful, evilest being in the universe. And I thought to myself that I couldn't see that working. "Oh, hey. 'Sup, Darkseid?" "I told you not to interrupt me in the bath, Thomas. [Zap]."

Skanky girls in super-bikinis with the ability to teleport anywhere that love is in danger? Also perhaps not well thought out.