Mother Box, Legion Flight Ring...DCU Writeups

Enforcer84

Well I'm cleaning up my HD files again and notice I have a TON of unfinished DC write ups.

In my Mister Miracle and Barda write ups I use a hand-waved perk 100pts Mother Box; but I found a write up of a mother box (basically an AI with a big VPP) and I was wondering if I might break it down a bit more; ditto the Legion rings.

Now my write ups tend to be on the grander scale, but I'm not asking for huge point totals on these, so if my collegues who prefer lower point totals have tossed a ring or box out there I'd love to see it.

Also; I've got 2 GL write ups, one for Hal, one for Guy. The great thing about the GL's is that they're pretty identical save skill sets, so what skill set do you think would best represent Jon Stewart and the beloved/hated Kyle?

Along similar lines, how would Alan Scott's ring be different from the Guardian Rings?

Just some things to occupy my mind for a while. I had like 6 copies of half done write ups in some cases. :)

Re: Mother Box, Legion Flight Ring...DCU Writeups

ditto the Legion rings.

Champions 6E 228 has a writeup for the Flight Rings:

Basic version is 40m Flight, IIF

There are variants with more or less flight, more or less restictive focus.

Champions 6E 225 also has hte "Space Ring":

10m flight, Only in Microgravity (-2)

plus

LS: Space Support (Expanded Breathing: Vacuum, Rad, Hot, Cold, Low Pressure)

Both on IIF and a Continuing Charge (1 minute, broken by any attack that does body or stun damage to the character).

Didn't the ring provide Life Support?

Not in the version of the Legion I'm used to. They had 'trans-suits' that did that (transparent space suits, basically).

A quick check at a couple of Wikis (take that for what it's worth, of course) gives me this list:

Flight

Distress Beacon

Security Device (aka 'must be wearing a ring to access')

Ah, here we go:

"In certain alternate universe versions of the Legion, it has other uses as well. Environmental protection is an added benefit for the Earth-Prime Legionnaires, for example. The Earth-0 and Earth-247 Legionnaires use Legion Transuits instead."

The flight rings for the 70s did provide life support as I recall, and I believe so did the flight belts from the 60s. Mind you, I haven't read either versions in over a decade, and I don't tend to care for the newer stuff.

For Alan's ring, I think the main difference it's weakness made a lot more sense. It couldn't effect wood, but for the most part, both his ring and the GLC rings were effected by the wills of the users.

For Alan's ring' date=' I think the main difference it's weakness made a lot more sense. It couldn't effect wood, but for the most part, both his ring and the GLC rings were effected by the wills of the users.[/quote']

With Allans Ring, the wood weakness is explained very differntly between interpretations:

- the power source is different (the star heart, a magical rock). Thus you compare apple and oranges.

- it is only a psychological block (because he was hit over the head). It could still have been a Standart GL-Ring, just that he either had overcome the yellow impurity (and thus the yellow weakness) or he just never had to affect anything "completely yellow" (that wasn't also wood) - so the yellow weakness could have been there as well and just never kicked in.

- it is a normal Lantern ring, that was remotely modified by the guardians to be weak against wood instead of yellow (the times when the yellow weakness was still considered a deliberate limitation), because yellow was rare but wood was abundant.

With Allans Ring, the wood weakness is explained very differntly between interpretations:

- the power source is different (the star heart, a magical rock). Thus you compare apple and oranges.

- it is only a psychological block (because he was hit over the head). It could still have been a Standart GL-Ring, just that he either had overcome the yellow impurity (and thus the yellow weakness) or he just never had to affect anything "completely yellow" (that wasn't also wood) - so the yellow weakness could have been there as well and just never kicked in.

- it is a normal Lantern ring, that was remotely modified by the guardians to be weak against wood instead of yellow (the times when the yellow weakness was still considered a deliberate limitation), because yellow was rare but wood was abundant.

That must have come about after I stopped reading comics. I don't know anything about magical rocks or klunks on the head having anything to do with either GL. Perhaps, Enforcer what to clarify to which era of the Legion and the GLs he is referring.

Alan Scott is the Golden Age GL and his ring isn't from a guardian

As to the flight rings I'm not terribly concerned, I was wondering if they'd provided more than flight.

I'd heard the telepathic earplugs, transsuits.

Not in the version of the Legion I'm used to. They had 'trans-suits' that did that (transparent space suits, basically).

A quick check at a couple of Wikis (take that for what it's worth, of course) gives me this list:

Flight

Distress Beacon

Security Device (aka 'must be wearing a ring to access')

Ah, here we go:

"In certain alternate universe versions of the Legion, it has other uses as well. Environmental protection is an added benefit for the Earth-Prime Legionnaires, for example. The Earth-0 and Earth-247 Legionnaires use Legion Transuits instead."

The rings the "Archie" Legion had (I'm guessing their the "Earth-Prime" bunch) could also be used to track other members. Which could be covered under "Distress Beacon" but isn't quite the same thing.

The Rings also had something of a Weight Limit. Blok had to wear three of the things originally heh.... Legion Flight Ring stuff though.....

Although their origin varies between different incarnations of the Legion Of Super-Heroes, the Legion flight rings are usually invented in a joint effort by Brainiac 5 and Invisible Kid. Engraved with the signature "L" of the Legion of Super-Heroes , this ring is also used by students in the Legion Academy when they are in training or on field missions. Legion Flight Rings are composed of a compound known as Valorium, which is derived from the Thanagarian Nth Metal, and possesses similar anti-gravity capabilities.

A Legion Flight Ring is controlled by mental command, and like a Green Power Ring, it can be willed for varyiing effects. For example, because of Dream Girl's strong will, she has used the Flight Ring to move other objects be negating the gravity around it. It's main function, however, is to allow it's wearer to fly.

Another function of the Legion Flight Ring is to send out a distress call. If a Legionnaire rotates the "L" symbol 45 degrees, the ring will send out a distress message that will be recieved by other Legionnaires and the Mission Monitor Board at Legion Headquarters.

Brainiac 5 has modified the functions of a ring specific to each Legionnaire. For example, Colossal Boy's ring will enlarge with him, and Shrinking Violet's will shrink with her. Other examples of this include the Legion Flight Ring being able to "Duplicate" with Duplicate Damsel, resist temperature extremes around Sun Boy and Polar Boy and handle the increased mass of Blok. Another modification he had recently made, was to Earth-Man's Legion Flight Ring, in order to keep him on a short leash and alter his morality.

A Legion Flight Ring is also used for security purposes. Only someone with a Legion Flight Ring is allowed to use certain equipment, including the Legion Cruiser.

In certain alternate universe versions of the Legion, it has other uses as well. Environmental protection is an added benefit for the Earth-Prime Legionnaires, for example. The Earth-0 and Earth-247 Legionnaires use Legion Transuits instead.

Booster Gold is one of the few known non-Legionnaires allowed to use a Legion flight ring. Superman also possesses a flight ring, and used to keep it in the Fortress of Solitude as a reminder of his time spent in the 31st century. He now wears it, but it can be turned invisible upon mental command. Superboy (Kon-El) has one for his time with the Legion of Earth-247, and Kid Flash II (Bart Allen) may have one as well.

In Earth-Prime continuity, there is a shortage of rings because the metal is rare, and they are expensive to make. Brainiac 5 has to recycle the rings of deceased members such as Dream Girl. This also means that not everyone was equipped with a ring.

~Rex....and others....

Depending on which origin you use for the original green lantern itself, Alan Scott's ring probably doesn't have all the supercomputer aspects of GLC rings, like universal translators, access to the GLC databases, and the ability to project a holographic image of oneself to the Guardians on Oa or vice versa. Of course, it probably also can't be used by the Guardians to monitor and discipline the wearer when they're in one of their horrible new rules/irrational tyranny phases.

Oh I found a nice Legion Flight Ring in my old HD prefabs

Flight

HRRH (Megascaled)

Images and Sounds (to project the interspace transmissions)

Invisibility to radio senses (Off the Grid)

Not sure which version had that.

sweet!

Ok so I'm updating my Andromeda Write Up. Legion Fans I need your help on her psych lims:

Xenophobe

Worships Valor (Mon-El)

Proud and Authoritative

sound about right? I almost put in "Crush on Brainy"

Not sure which "Era" I'm going for here, just a nice bit of Daxamite goodness with a bit of personality conflict

Also I need to figure out what a Legion of Superheroes Membership includes.

Police Perk?

Database

Money?

Thanks in advance.

Ok so I'm updating my Andromeda Write Up. Legion Fans I need your help on her psych lims:

Xenophobe

Worships Valor (Mon-El)

Proud and Authoritative

Not sure which "Era" I'm going for here, just a nice bit of Daxamite goodness with a bit of personality conflict

The pre-Zero Hour version did have a thing for Brainy, though she ended up marrying and having a child with Rond Vidar.

The psych lims you mention go with the "Archie" version.

sweet!

Xenophobe

Worships Valor (Mon-El)

Proud and Authoritative

Also I need to figure out what a Legion of Superheroes Membership includes.

Police Perk?

Database

Money?

Thanks in advance.

Just don't forget Access to the LEGION Dungeons and Dragons computer/holo projector......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43666[/ATTACH]

~Rex....Only 6 Days for that game..... and counting but Darkseid showed up and it got delayed. :D

Oh I found a nice Legion Flight Ring in my old HD prefabs

Flight

HRRH (Megascaled)

Images and Sounds (to project the interspace transmissions)

Invisibility to radio senses (Off the Grid)

Not sure which version had that.

I don't think invisibility works with that HRRH.

Once you actively start trasmitting something, you cancel your invisibility. You would need the Sense Modifier or IPE to make the transmission "untraceable".