Speedster Pondering.

Enforcer84

Ok if you follow the DC Links in my sig you can see my Wally West Flash write up.

Now here's my question to the Fans:

What differentiates Wally from Barry from Jay ...ad nauseum?

And I haven't rebooted my DC universe so Barry is still dead - but I'll probably write him up too.

Wally's skills are more "Professional Hero"

Barry will be a Criminologist

Jay was a chemist?

Since DC unified everyone with the Speed Force...which I'm okay with, are their physical differences I should take into consideration?

Re: Speedster Pondering.

I not only know Wally best but he's also my favoirte Flash, so take this with a grain of salt:

Jay is slower than Wally or Barry. He likes to use his hat for various power stunts, which none of the rest of the flash family toys around with much.

Wally eventually gets faster than Barry, at least up until the point where they bring Barry back...

Jay is smarter than Wally and Barry is smarter than Jay. Not that Wally's an idiot, but he's a pretty down to earth, joe average grease monkey while Barry is a genius super scientist.

Despite this, Wally figured out a lot of speed stunts that I don't believe Barry ever tried, most of them relating to the Speed Force mythology. Stuff like draining or adding speed to things, accelerating the bodys healing processes and even demonstrating a Danger Sense on occasion.

Depending on time period, there were other differences... like for a while Wally would cause anythign he vibrated his molecules through to explode...

gotta run, but I'll chime in more later if I have a chance.

I mainly know Wally from being the Kid Flash and as the post-Crisis Flash after most of the DC heroes were considerable nerfed; so, I can't speak much for him, but I think Bloodstone is right on when it comes to Barry and Jay. The Speed Force thing was a little after my time, and I was completely unimpressed by it when I heard of it.

Guest steamteck

I really don't care for the speed force thing either. My favorite Flash is wally in his early post crisis barely speed of sound and eat crazy amounts but Mike Baron got what it meant to be that fast time. My campaign's speedsters are all built on that model.

As for the differences, Bloodstone seems to have covered them pretty well.

I not only know Wally best but he's also my favoirte Flash, so take this with a grain of salt:

Jay is slower than Wally or Barry. He likes to use his hat for various power stunts, which none of the rest of the flash family toys around with much.

Wally eventually gets faster than Barry, at least up until the point where they bring Barry back...

Jay is smarter than Wally and Barry is smarter than Jay. Not that Wally's an idiot, but he's a pretty down to earth, joe average grease monkey while Barry is a genius super scientist.

Despite this, Wally figured out a lot of speed stunts that I don't believe Barry ever tried, most of them relating to the Speed Force mythology. Stuff like draining or adding speed to things, accelerating the bodys healing processes and even demonstrating a Danger Sense on occasion.

Depending on time period, there were other differences... like for a while Wally would cause anythign he vibrated his molecules through to explode...

gotta run, but I'll chime in more later if I have a chance.

Wally started as a kid and had an imagination.

What is the speed force?

Basically, the Speed Force is an extradimensional energy that DCU speedsters tap. It's what lets them do things like run at several times the speed of sound without catching fire from friction, and helps provide the 'fuel' needed so they don't burn out their bodies' caloric/fat supplies in three seconds. Not all DC characters capable of super-speed tap the Speed Force, though (Superman, for example, does not).

The Flash was the first comic book I ever bought nearly 40 years ago. I grew up with Barry and the earth 1/earth 2 crossovers with Jay plus several races with Superman. (Go figure that they are 2 of my favorite characters). I liked the power-limited Kid Flash of the Titans and the post Crisis passing of the Flash mantel to Wally. I love 'em all. Bloodstone and the others have hit most if not all of the key differences. Barry by far the 'smartest' & most raw power but his mature intelligence kept him from experimenting as much as Wally did later. He approached his powers the same way he did his 'day job' as a forensic scientist. The 'Ultimate' Flash from Kingdom Come is a future Wally West with a fully realized ability to 'fly' instead of 'just' running (my theory is that he finally accepts, without necessarily understanding, that he just can). Jay is the first, the golden age simple ideal. No speed force, just ultimate raw speed (for his day). Unlike Barry and Wally, he never suffered from the same level of OCD desire to fix everything around him and as a result never quite matched the other 2 at their top power levels. I do look forward to the Earth 2 retelling of his story (even though i hate the new costume, if he's getting his power from Mercury/FTD-Man he should at least keep the ol' helmet!)

So Barry was a forensic scientist' date=' what was Jay's career?[/quote']

http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/jay.html

"College student Jay Garrick was investigating an experimental form of heavy water, when an accident released hazardous fumes that rendered him unconscious. After inhaling the fumes all night, he awoke in the hospital to discover he could move and react at superhuman speed. He became a crimefighter and a scientist in Keystone City - two roles that intersected surprisingly often, as his civilian life and research would often lead him into adventures as the Flash."

I'd expect Jay to be better at the bareknuckle stuff fighting villains and mooks, since he spent the 40s doing just that. Also, higher Presence than the other two since he was one of the grand old men of the Golden Age that other superheroes all looked up to.

Barry did a lot more dimension traveling and time traveling than the other speedsters - he was the one who first discovered the existence of parallel earths, and understood the science well enough to build a dimensional treadmill to help control the ability.