More Types Of FH Magic

Steve Long

We had an interesting discussion in last night's chat that I thought I'd raise here as a way of "continuing" it.

As some of you know, in my "copious spare time" I've been plinking away at some more arcana, with an eye toward publishing another FH Grimoire at some point. Such a book wouldn't include expansions of the existing FHG arcana, but all-new arcana. That raises the question of: what doesn't the FHG cover that you'd like to see covered?

So far I have written up:

Arcanomancy

Black Magic

Rune Magic

Shamanism

Song Magic

I have plans to write up Chaos Magic, Monster Magic, Naming Magic, deity-specific divine magic, and a couple others.

So, what else is there? What would you like to see that hasn't already been covered? Please keep in mind:

1. I do not want to create more spells for existing arcana (though the possibility exists, as with Black Magic, of taking a sub-arcana and conflating it into its own arcana).

2. I do not want to create entire magic systems, just groups of related spells that could be used in many different campaigns and systems.

How about personal rune magic.

Many cultures (Celts, Egiptions, some Native Americans, and the Aztec) believed that magic/holy symbols could be placed on a body to give power.

I have recently made a Dwarven "Runemaster" that could draw his runes on people to hook them up with 1 charge uses of his powers. It would be cool to see your take on how this could/should have been done.

Keeping in mind I haven't gotten a chance to see the Grimorie yet....

What about more types of summoning magic?

Part of my existing campaign that I'm in the process of converting is a desert empire. I used a lot of TSR's old Al-Quadim setting for the source material. They go into a lot of detail about summoning Djiin to do your magical bidding and so on.

My idea in it's very infant stages, is that when the mage uses spells, he summons a specific type of Djiin to do his bidding. I haven't even begun to try to figure out how that would work with the game mechanics yet.

Along the same lines, how about some type of system like Dr. Strange used to use in the comics? He'd tap certain entities (Cytorrak, Dormaamu etc.) to access certain types of magic?

I always liked the concept of opposites in magic. So, if there is necromancy, there should be vitamancy (or whatever you call it).

In that vein, I would suggest Light-based and Darkness-based magics. Many magics are very attack oriented, so a defensive oriented school would be great (Abjuration).

Mind control/possession magic (Charms) would be cool, too.

I will be getting the Grimoire this weekend. Can't wait to get it!

Nightshade

Originally posted by Steve Long

Errr... check out the list I posted. Third entry from the top. ;)

Sorry about that but I have transposed the views of someothers I talked to too you.

In resent conversation about the character I made it seemed a common feeling amongst others (not me as it was my character) the the idea of putting runes on people was rediculous.

Dont have the Grimoire handy, but a meta-magic school would be interesting. Focused on Adjustments and Dispel mostly, with Spells that manipulate magic directly.

A Plane-traveling school would be interesting as well focusing on useful spells to skip dimensions and deal w/ the simple hard working indigenous peoples of....whereever. More of a practical-app collection than a theoretical/conceptual school.

A school focused on the manipulation of space and distance could be interesting, with some wonky travel spells, NRM attack spells, duo-dimensional effects, gates, clairsentience (space bending rather than classic mental clairsentience), spatial awareness, various detects, and the like.

A school of Construct makers could be interesting -- not Conjurers or Summoners, but building Golems, Adams/Frankenstein's Monster, and the like. Not necessarily mechanical -- magically motivated constructs. Who made all those construct gaurdians of ancient tombs and the like? Maybe one of these guys in times of yore. The constucts could be the SFX of a lot of different effects, of course. Basically a Fantasy Wizard Black Harlequinn/Toymaster thing done w/ "spells".

Some kind of a Bio-manipulation school able to merge animals, grow hybrids, invent custom new creatures, etc -- you can already do this w/ Summon of course, but why not make a formalized school of it. The literature has a lot of examples of races and creatures created by powerful wizards, but how many games take it to the logical conclusion and provide spells to actually do this?

All I can think of off the top of my head that havent already been mentioned.....

Rune magic is already in FHG. I'm going to do song magic for my campaign, so I'll be interested in seing what you've come up with.

I'd like to see:

Demon Magic (as in 1st edition FH... all spells have the special effect of summoning a demon to perform some task, or the caster taking on demonic attributes)

Ritual Magic (gigantic spells that take days or weeks)

(actually I would have liked to have seen a "ritual"

version of spells in FHG, since that's an aspect of

my magic system.)

Epic spells (the "sleeping beauty" spell, making islands sink beneath the waves, turning a kingdom into a desert (ala "The Rain of Colorless Fire"), etc. Obviously waay powerful plot device spells.)

Curses (Great for witches, or for plot devices. I'm thinking of short spoken spells, probably Independent -- you don't need magical ability to lay a curse, you just need some CP and a malicious motive. It's a one-shot deal)

Undersea magic, for merfolk (and malicious fish-folk)

Orcish Shaman Fetish magic (crude brutish "orc" spells featuring all sorts of primitive shaman stuff)

Angelic Magic (spells based on purity, truth, light, etc)

Utility/Everyman magic (Unseen servant, spells to pour your tea and tie your shoes, etc. Useful in a very High Fantasy campaign where virtually everyone knows a few spells, but also great for wizards.)

Fairy Tale Magic (the sort of spells you find in a disney cartoon or the brothers grimm... turning a pumpkin into a coach, a magic mirror, multi-function witches brew, charming rats with a flute, etc)

Any of the things from Master of Five Magics. Thaumaturgy was interesting, as was the "flame permeates all" sorcery.

Order Magic and Chaos Magic (ala L.E. Modesitt, "Recluce" stories)

Pulp Swords and Sorcery magic (the ritual magic you find in Conan stories, which is just slow and cumbersome enough that you don't want to try it when Conan is nearby. Features lots of chanting, summonings, evil curses, astrology, and so forth, not flashy and powerful but slow and sinister.)

Munchkin Magic (Hackmaster style spells, like "bouncing betty fireball", "shift blame", "nuclear winter fireball", "teleport intercampaignia", etc. Okay maybe not so useful but it would be good for those who like silly campaigns.)

Things I don't care so much about, but other people might:

Tech Magic (spells that integrate with machines)

Voodoo (you know, dolls and zombies and stuff)

I am not the big fantasy buff here but I like Nevenall's idea about dealing with apprentice or cantrip (I think that is what it is called) magic. Simple little spells which are not too expensive or powerful, but just do everyday things.

I would not mind seeing some information to expand the diety type magic that you mentioned too. Maybe something on ancestor worship and something on animal totem/spirit totem magic (though that might be part of Shamanism).

I would not mind seeing an "out of class" type of magic as well. Spells that warriors might take to help them in combat. Spells that a rogue might take to help them steal. Just simple spells that people who are not "multiclassed" or dedicated mages would take, but would take just to make them better at their chosen profession.

I think it would be interesting to see some race specific magic too. Spells the elves learn, spells the dwarves learn, spells the halflings learn, etc. These would be race/culture specific types of things and not really locked into any larger school. Things like a halfling's ability to conjure pipe weed, or a dwarf's ability to eat stone with the proper spell.

If I can think of more later, I will post them.

Dont have the Grimoire handy, but a meta-magic school would be interesting. Focused on Adjustments and Dispel mostly, with Spells that manipulate magic directly.

Already gotcha covered, KS. That's what I call "Arcanomancy," since throwing around terms like "meta-" sort of ruins the Fantasy flavor for me. ;)

Another type of magic might be commerce magic. In an enviroment filled with merchants and traders the ability to repair damaged good, purify spoiled produce, travel and communicate with various markets, etc. might make for an interesing specialized school of magic.

A specialized school of serpent/reptile magic might be in order too. Serpents, and dragons in general, always seem to play a larger in fantasy genres. Having a school which deals with that, especially in swamping/hot enviroments would be handly. It would make for interesting magic for lizard folk too.

What about wish magic. I guess it could also be called fate or luck magic. It's more of an innate ability than a formulaic spell casting. The kind that isn't flashy, it works in the corners out of your line of sight. For weal or for woe, it bends the "random" to your will. Instead of shooting flaming balls of pitch out of your fingertips, Mrs. O'Leary's cow kicks at a gadfly and hits the lantern. Instead of a flying carpet, a bitter gale comes from the north and freezes the swampy road allowing for excellent time astride your horse. Instead of turning the guard into a "Yes, Master, No, Master" mindless automata, the guard who just buried his drowned son sees many of the qualities that endeared his son in his heart in you, this stranger at the gate.

I have a very, very large city (over 2 million people) in my campaign world, and I've been contemplating developing at least two new styles of magic. The first is a type taught by the large and powerful thieves' guild that enhances a thief's ability to bypass security, gain entrance to inaccessible areas, open locks and remain undetected.

The second is urban magic, magic that is particularly useful (and perhaps can only be used) in urban areas. As I imagine it, it would combine some aspects of mind control (for making friends and influencing people), trade magic, and possibly summoning the various creatures that can be found in urban areas, either natural (rats, crows, etc.) or unnatural (fear elementals, dopplegangers, what have you). This can be done currently by cobbling together bits from other colleges, but I want something more unidied philosophically and mechanically.

Would an Arcana devoted to the purpose of the spells rather than the nature or special effects be appropriate? Examples would be an Attack, Defense, Movement, Martial Arts, Base/Vehicle Building, Healing/Aiding, or Dragon-Slaying Arcana. Of course it would need to be more colorful and fit into the setting.

UPS - (Underhill Parcel Service) - A delivery business run by a group of Gnomes who have developed a specialized Movement Arcana that deals exclusively with spells that allow them to overcome all challenges and barriers that would prevent them from delivering their shipments on time: Gate Travel, Fleet of Foot, Bounding Leap, Bugs Bunny Burrowing, Pass Through Wall, Insect Climb, Walk on Water, Lighten the Load, Dolphin Fins, Summon Helper, Detect Delivery Location, Pass Unhindered, Tireless Journey, Freedom of Movement, Illusionary Bribe, etc...

Prosaic Magic

Originally posted by Nevenall

How about a section of prosaic magic.

Simple, practical little spells. Wash, which there is already, mend, grow plants, etc...

Domestic witchcraft, apprentice spells, the sort of spells that non-adventurers would find useful.

Actually you just gave me an idea for a storyline based on prosaic magic, thanks nevenall. :o

I don't have FH or the Grimoire, so forgive me if I'm repeating things already covered...

* Time Magic -- In addition to the possibility of time travel and manipulation of fate, there's also the typical flashy battle uses (toying with people's relative timeflow, mainly), curses of age, and so on.

* Terrain Magic -- The other type of geomancy -- drawing on aspects of the terrain around you for effects, either physical (force your foes to suffocate in methane in a swamp), abstract (heal your friends by drawing on a city's nature as a monoculture), or some of both.

...and that's all that I can think of off the top of my head, I'm afraid. -- Pteryx

To start I don't have the FHG yet, however this is an idea I used in a Gargoils game I ran (based on disneys animated series) What about season based mages and magics. It could be more shamanic/ druidic based but the premise would be magic that is focused around what season you are playing in. Ice/ cold based in winter, growth/ life based in sping, heat/ fire based in summer, death/ harm based in winter. Of course these would be able to be cast at any point however they get more powerfull as the season waxes and wanes, comming to a head at the equanox where the Epic level (all day casting type) at the equanoxes.

We had alot of fun with it, and I figure that knowing more about the system you all could do more with it than I could.

My base was a cosmic power pool for the magic, then an additional "boost" power pool for the season magic descriptors within the given season.

-Wolf