Cool characters from goofy concepts

phoenix240

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cool characters from goofy concepts

Batman. Seriously.

A hero named after a flying rodent. Fights crime dressed like a giant bat. Can't fly like a bat, but swings on a rope. Uses bat-shaped boomerangs as weapons. Rides around in a "Batmobile." Routinely brings his underaged sidekick into dangerous situations. No super-powers, but hangs with some of the mightiest heroes on the planet.

But of course, today the Batman is the epitome of comic-book cool, thanks to generations of character evolution and public acclimatization to his goofier elements.

What is up with all the Dazzler hate? I mean it's not like she's the only type of character to be based off a fad. Nobody's bitching about Power Man and Iron Fist.

Iron Fist was mentioned briefly.

For the record, I don't hate Dazzler because she was based upon a fad, I hate her because she's a terrible character. 003.gif

What is up with all the Dazzler hate? I mean it's not like she's the only type of character to be based off a fad. Nobody's bitching about Power Man and Iron Fist.

Political Correctness? As for Power Man, the thread title is "Cool Characters From Goofy Concepts."

Sweet Christmas!

my Grond would be creative lesser god, somewhat more driven than enlightened

there would be some perfect order Grond once thought he saw

but puny humans ruined Grond's perfect constructions

Grond gets flashes of insight "buildings should be leaning n each other in opposition and support"

edit

and stretching...

Batman. Seriously.

A hero named after a flying rodent. Fights crime dressed like a giant bat. Can't fly like a bat, but swings on a rope. Uses bat-shaped boomerangs as weapons. Rides around in a "Batmobile." Routinely brings his underaged sidekick into dangerous situations. No super-powers, but hangs with some of the mightiest heroes on the planet.

But of course, today the Batman is the epitome of comic-book cool, thanks to generations of character evolution and public acclimatization to his goofier elements.

I see the point, but I'd wager that Bats was considered cool from the outset, given his pulp roots and his overall popularity and influence. He's certainly gone through goofy periods, though.

I see the point' date=' but I'd wager that Bats was considered cool from the outset, given his pulp roots and his overall popularity and influence. He's certainly gone through goofy periods, though.[/quote']

But did he go through goofy periods because of creative problems or did he go through goofy periods because he's inherently goofy?

I read once that, on the set of the first Tim Burton Batman movie, Michael Keeton (in full Batman regalia) turned to Jack Nicholson (dressed as the Joker) and said, "You realize we're adults, right?" They both had a good laugh.

But did he go through goofy periods because of creative problems or did he go through goofy periods because he's inherently goofy?

IMO, it would be the former. As much as I like them, the "monster of the week" or "wacky transformation" years of the '50s and '60s are pretty goofy.

I read once that' date=' on the set of the first Tim Burton Batman movie, Michael Keeton (in full Batman regalia) turned to Jack Nicholson (dressed as the Joker) and said, "You realize we're adults, right?" They both had a good laugh.[/quote']

I read that too. I think it's pretty funny. It doesn't really apply to Batman alone, but costumed heroes and villains in general, all of whom have an element of silliness when you get down to it.

my all time favorite superheroes are Silver Surfer and Green Lantern (the original Hal Jordan). Both of which fit solidly in the goofy idea categories.

I imagine two stoned teenagers sitting around with a bag of cheetos.

"And, uh, lets uh give em like the power to ah do anything and uh like fly or something." insert stoner laughs

"Yeh and like they shoot stuff and make hammers and stuff." Laugh again. "Yeh, yeh and they fight like giant armored guy and ah like he uh can't handle yellow cause it is like totally yellow, ya know"

Gets completely serious look on his face making solid eye contact. "Oh and they work for little blue men from the center of the galaxy. Who have the power to do anything, but wont because they don't want to."