Cool characters from goofy concepts

phoenix240

Sometimes a very interesting even cool character can come from a silly initial concept. There's been quite a few in comics and rpgs. What are some you've run across either in fiction or gaming? For one of mine I'll offer

Ruby Thursday, a woman ahead of her time.

Of course, this is a very subjective question. "Cool" is a matter of opinion.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cool characters from goofy concepts

For someone who can create construct for her Ruby Head/Sphere why has she never constructed a Humanoid Head?

Psychology I know, but come on. ;)

QM

She doesn't need too as she can morph it to a humanoid form for disguise purposes though she genuinely thinks the sphere is beautiful.

Dazzler came out first by probably about a year. In theory they both came out in 1980 but since Dazzler was in the February 1980 issue of X-Men that was probably released a few months earlier than February. Xanadu was released in November of 1980.

The story behind the creation of Dazzler is actually sort of interesting. It was originally suppose to be a cross-media product between Marvel and Casablanca Records with Marvel providing the comic books and Casablanca Records producing an 'Alison Blaire' who would perform in concert. Casablanca backed out at the last minute, however, leaving Marvel with the character.

(edit: Log-Man beat me to it, and with the correct release date for Xanadu.)

The story behind the creation of Dazzler is actually sort of interesting. It was originally suppose to be a cross-media product between Marvel and Casablanca Records with Marvel providing the comic books and Casablanca Records producing an 'Alison Blaire' who would perform in concert. Casablanca backed out at the last minute, however, leaving Marvel with the character.

(edit: Log-Man beat me to it, and with the correct release date for Xanadu.)

That is interesting. It was my understanding that there was going to be a live-action movie (or TV movie) with Bo Derek in the role of the Dazzler.

I never really had a problem with the Dazzler--I liked the powerset and the costume, although I could have done without the disco-ball pendant and the roller skates. Otherwise, she had potential.

That is interesting. It was my understanding that there was going to be a live-action movie (or TV movie) with Bo Derek in the role of the Dazzler.

My understanding is that it was meant to be a theatrical release, and when it fell through, the same folks put together a Tarzan movie for Derek instead.

Giuas Ocvtavious (spelling),

According to Jim Butcher he was inspired by a forum argument about being able to write a story based on the lamest magic systems pokemon and Pantheonism, the two most overused and generic types of magic.