Cool characters from goofy concepts

phoenix240

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cool characters from goofy concepts

Giuas Ocvtavious (spelling),

According to Jim Butcher he was inspired by a forum argument about being able to write a story based on the lamest magic systems pokemon and Pantheonism, the two most overused and generic types of magic.

It was pokemon and a lost roman legion.

CES

Frizbie was a bit cool, but she never got a chance to realy shine. Mostly because her villian name is copyrighted, and not by DOJ.

On my side, Mister Wicked is prehaps one of the most silliest starting concepts (man with a silent movie villian complex). But I realy don't think he came out 'cool', but 'sick'.

Back in the eighties I helped a friend make a quirky offshoot of the Green Arrow/Hawkeye weaponmaster. Instead of a Bow & Arrows the character used a bag of golf clubs & balls. His name was the Flying Scotsman. :D Actually turned out a lot better than you might think.

Wolverine. Seriously.

Think about it: His main attack power is a set of indestructible knives that sprout from his knuckles. His two main defensive powers are indestructible bones and the ability to take a massive beating and come back for more. And the enhanced smell. All you'd have to do to take out Wolverine is put your evil ninja base (patent pending) in a convention center and make sure there's an all-you-can-eat burrito buffet. Then you somehow lure Logan into an elevator with the Blob and Wilson Fisk and...Well it wouldn't be pretty. :eg:

The character is a short, incredibly hairy guy who spends almost all his time in various bars getting drunk on different brands of beer. (I wonder if he prefers Molson Canadian, Guiness, or Carlsberg. Labatt maybe?) He's named after a member of the weasel family and he's a Canadian secret agent. Not British. Not Chinese. Not Russian or American. Canadian. Let that sink in.

In his first appearance, one of his bosses thought that he'd be the first choice to take down the Hulk. The results were what you'd expect for someone with his codename, employer, and power profile. (Was Sasquatch busy that week? Was Weapon Alpha indisposed? Should we blame Trudeau?)

Originally, Wolverine was just some throwaway character Len Wein created to fight the Hulk. Chris Claremont hated him so much, that he planned to kill him off. The only reason he's not moldering in a grave with Thunderbird, is because John Byrne (Canadian In Name Only IMLTHO) liked him and wanted to keep him around. Nowadays it's inconceivable to do anything with the X-Men and not have Wolverine. A few Hollywood people have theorized that First Class would have performed much better at the box office if it had more Logan.

This character is so popular, despite his lameness, that I'll bet a few people are reading this and thinking "WTF is he talking about? Wolvie's cool!"

:rolleyes: Oh well.

Wolverine. Seriously.

Think about it: His main attack power is a set of indestructible knives that sprout from his knuckles. His two main defensive powers are indestructible bones and the ability to take a massive beating and come back for more. And the enhanced smell. All you'd have to do to take out Wolverine is put your evil ninja base (patent pending) in a convention center and make sure there's an all-you-can-eat burrito buffet. Then you somehow lure Logan into an elevator with the Blob and Wilson Fisk and...Well it wouldn't be pretty. :eg:

The character is a short, incredibly hairy guy who spends almost all his time in various bars getting drunk on different brands of beer. (I wonder if he prefers Molson Canadian, Guiness, or Carlsberg. Labatt maybe?) He's named after a member of the weasel family and he's a Canadian secret agent. Not British. Not Chinese. Not Russian or American. Canadian. Let that sink in.

In his first appearance, one of his bosses thought that he'd be the first choice to take down the Hulk. The results were what you'd expect for someone with his codename, employer, and power profile. (Was Sasquatch busy that week? Was Weapon Alpha indisposed? Should we blame Trudeau?)

Originally, Wolverine was just some throwaway character Len Wein created to fight the Hulk. Chris Claremont hated him so much, that he planned to kill him off. The only reason he's not moldering in a grave with Thunderbird, is because John Byrne (Canadian In Name Only IMLTHO) liked him and wanted to keep him around. Nowadays it's inconceivable to do anything with the X-Men and not have Wolverine. A few Hollywood people have theorized that First Class would have performed much better at the box office if it had more Logan.

This character is so popular, despite his lameness, that I'll bet a few people are reading this and thinking "WTF is he talking about? Wolvie's cool!"

:rolleyes: Oh well.

Wolvie was interesting in the Xmen at least in the first issues he appeared in for one major reason. He was unpredictable. He was portrayed as a killer, who had berserker rage issues. The rest of the xmen as sticks up their butts in comparison. The Original Xmen would never wound someone let alone kill someone. It didn't matter that Logan's body count was mostly Robotic. He could also be counted on to say whatever was on his mind. He would actually talk back to Prof X and Cyclops. He was "worldly" he had been out and experienced stuff, that was different from the rest of the team. Those are the reasons he is still so popular.

Yeah, Unbreakable bones, Implanted short swords, nose of a bloodhound and insane Regeneration, and some kind of combat training. Don't make for much of a powerset. Of course his blunt personality and willing to threaten bodily harm on anyone standing in his way also are a bit of a power (ie High Pre and Persuasion).

I'll bite on the Wolverine hatred too. I did hate him at one point because I just couldn't see the reason behind popularity and overexposure. I'm not a fan (I don't seek out his books) but I no longer hate him.

I have decided I like a few things about him over time that contradict my original opinions. Here's a couple of examples:

I hated that he was so powerful. How does he win even half the fights he does? - I have decided that I was being a little biased. The Hulk was the first comic I collected. As an original Hulk villain, I now think I would be offended if anyone below the caliber of a Hulk villain could beat him.

How does he stand up to the Hulk? This was the big one for me. You can't make a list of classic Hulk battles without Wolverine...so where's the super-strength? - The creators didn't realize it at the time but in my opinion they created their own little archetype by accident. If you Google their names, you can find some funny interview comments with the creators and Stan Lee regarding the origins of Wolverine. Apparently he was the farthest thing from well thought out but his powers have become iconic in comics. I think this is why, he is the anti-brick. His unique combination of powers allows him to stand toe-to-toe with bricks (a necessary quality for a Hulk villain I now see) but without super-strength or invulnerability. His claws are an adequate substitute for the massive damage (to people or objects) that can be causes by super strength. His combination of regeneration and indestructible bones (which are also a convenient vehicle for his claws) allows him to survive super-strength blows without simply shrugging them off with invulnerability.

As I understand it' date=' Deadpool's concept is "Liefeld does Deathstroke [i']right[/i]," which is indeed the worst concept ever.

Which makes Liefeld's recent stint on the New52 Deathstroke even funnier. Almost as funny as all of the stupid pouches that Deathstroke suddenly added to his armor. Hopefully the comic will get better now that that hack is off of it.

I am going to throw in Spiderman, not as he turned out but as originally conceived. In an interview, Stan Lee said that he was trying to come up with new superhero and wanted someone who could crawl on walls. That was it. Really he wanted a human fly, but one that couldn't actually fly. Then he decided the whole proportional strength of an insect would be good, because it is hard to fight anyone just by running around on the wall (but notice that Spiderman has always spent a lot of combat time dodging blows like a roach on amphetamines). He was pretty much ready to go with that when the idea of using a spider instead of a fly as his power template hit. Then Spiderman caught fire in his mind and we have the character we know today.

My problem with wolverine is how they are flogging his popularity for every buck they can get. :dh: Every x-man title, his own title, a stort in marvel comics presents, and frequant guest apperiance in every title imagionable. That's one of the reasons I gave up comics about 15 years ago.

My problem with wolverine is how they are flogging his popularity for every buck they can get. :dh: Every x-man title' date=' his own title, a stort in marvel comics presents, and frequant guest apperiance in every title imagionable. That's one of the reasons I gave up comics about 15 years ago.[/quote']

Whedon even made fun of this in Astonishing X-Men with Wolverine telling Cyclops "I can't be on EVERY team!"