The Powerpuff Women (or "Grown Up in Townsville")

Michael Hopcroft

Re: The Powerpuff Women (or "Grown Up in Townsville")

I decided to try and come up with a costume design for the grown-up Girls, and this was what I came

up with:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45259[/ATTACH]

The basic idea is for a single-piece, two-tone outfit, with the colors being silver and whatever color

represents the particular wearer (green for Buttercup, pink for Blossom, and blue for Bubbles). A

single, stylized letter 'P' in bright yellow adorns the chest area. Now before all you PPG purists out

there jump on me about their eye colors, in my defense PPG wasn't one of those shows that I would

watch (with the only times that it'd even be on our TV being those times when my niece was over at

our house after school), which is why I didn't realize that their eye colors matched their outfit colors.

As it is, Bubbles is the only one that I got right in that regard. We could always say, though, that

with the penchant some teenybopper girls have for trying new things, that Buttercup and Blossom

decided to try wearing colored contact lenses so that they'd at least look normal in one respect (and

in Blossom's case, so that she doesn't look like she's got a terminal case of conjuctivitis).

I went with the jumpsuit-type outfit because I was looking at the problem from Professor Utonium's

point of view -- a science geek, yeah, but a science geek with three superpowered teenage daughters.

If you were in that position, and you knew that there was a virtual legion of pervs out there with their

cameras just waiting for the upskirt shot of the millennium to post on YouTube, would you let them

out of the house wearing a schoolgirl outfit?!

I didn't think so.

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

Also Dexter and the Justice Friends will be out there doing their thing. maybe Dial M for Monkey.

CES

Dexter would be an interesting love interest for Blossom -- genius attracting genius. In many ways Dexter is a somewhat less evil Mojo Jojo -- Mojo Jojo does things out of lust for power and revenge, but Dexter does things just to prove to himself he can do them (it doesn't matter to him if his work isn't known to another soul on Earth). He is pushing the boundaries of human knowledge essentially in secret.

That makes me remember how horrifying whatever happened to Peter Pan is. He may think it's great to never grow up -- for a while. But when Wendy Darling and his other friends do grow up and he can't' date=' he may realize how incomplete his life is. But, of course, for him it is too late. He's been in Neverland too long, so he will go on, forever twelve years old, forever denied the fullness of the human experience.[/quote']

I'm not sure Peter Pan has that much insight. He seems to hold to his childlike perspective, and reacts to changing situations like a child. Certainly he rejected the grown-up Wendy in the original play and novel, which also imply that he's visited the normal world for generations of aging people.

A more realistic parallel would be with Claudia, the child vampire form Interview With the Vampire. She became very aware that her intellect and emotions had grown while her body remained stunted.

I decided to try and come up with a costume design for the grown-up Girls, and this was what I came

up with:

Makes sense. The professor is still a dad, after all.

I do think I'd change the white/silver on the costumes for other colors though. I'd go green and black for Buttercup, Blue and Sky blue for Bubbles, and Blossom, well, actually the Pink and White/Silver works well. It gives them a little more individuality in their uniformity there IMO.

And, eventually, I can see them changing the costumes even more one way or another the older they get. You know at least one would rebel against Daddy.

• 2 weeks later...

Makes sense. The professor is still a dad, after all.

I do think I'd change the white/silver on the costumes for other colors though. I'd go green and black for Buttercup, Blue and Sky blue for Bubbles, and Blossom, well, actually the Pink and White/Silver works well. It gives them a little more individuality in their uniformity there IMO.

And, eventually, I can see them changing the costumes even more one way or another the older they get. You know at least one would rebel against Daddy.

Yeah, and we all know who Daddy's Little Rebel would be in that case, don't we?

(Discreet nod of the head toward the one in green and silver)

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

Yeah, and we all know who Daddy's Little Rebel would be in that case, don't we?

(Discreet nod of the head toward the one in green and silver)

Perhaps, but Buttercup would probably still want to wear concealing clothing. After all, the first high school boy who asks her out is liable to get decked.

Nah, I see Buttercup growing up to be the type who wears provocative clothing just so she gets to deck guys more often. (You know the type.) I definitely don't see her getting more restrained in her late teens/early 20's.

I see Blossom going conservative, working girl look.

Bubbles going pure pinup doll (because it makes people like her and she still doesn't get whats wrong with that)

and Buttercup going hyper-vamp, death in heels.

up with:

The basic idea is for a single-piece, two-tone outfit, with the colors being silver and whatever color

represents the particular wearer (green for Buttercup, pink for Blossom, and blue for Bubbles). A

single, stylized letter 'P' in bright yellow adorns the chest area. Now before all you PPG purists out

there jump on me about their eye colors, in my defense PPG wasn't one of those shows that I would

watch (with the only times that it'd even be on our TV being those times when my niece was over at

our house after school), which is why I didn't realize that their eye colors matched their outfit colors.

As it is, Bubbles is the only one that I got right in that regard. We could always say, though, that

with the penchant some teenybopper girls have for trying new things, that Buttercup and Blossom

decided to try wearing colored contact lenses so that they'd at least look normal in one respect (and

in Blossom's case, so that she doesn't look like she's got a terminal case of conjuctivitis).

I went with the jumpsuit-type outfit because I was looking at the problem from Professor Utonium's

point of view -- a science geek, yeah, but a science geek with three superpowered teenage daughters.

If you were in that position, and you knew that there was a virtual legion of pervs out there with their

cameras just waiting for the upskirt shot of the millennium to post on YouTube, would you let them

out of the house wearing a schoolgirl outfit?!

I didn't think so.

Nice designs. where you inspired by Sentai style uniforms (Power Rangers would be an example)?

Nice designs. where you inspired by Sentai style uniforms (Power Rangers would be an example)?

Sort of; there's also the fact that one of the few times that I actually saw one of the episodes, it happened to

be the one where the Girls got pounded into the dirt by the RowdyRuff Boys. I simply figured that, after some-

thing like that happening to his girls, the good Professor would come up with some sort of protective outfit for

them for when they got older (and were facing enemies whose power level was on a par with their own, or

even better).

Do you think the adult girls would choose new names or code-names?

They probably wouldn't see the point, given how public their identities are. Everyone knows their names. A lot of people know where they live (including many they'd rather didn't, like Mojo Jojo and Him). Everyone knows where they go to school. The tabloid press probably follows them everywhere. They're bigger celebrities than the Olsen twins and the cast of Twilight combined. Putting on masks or using different costumes won't change that.

They probably wouldn't see the point' date=' given how public their identities are. Everyone knows their names. A lot of people know where they live (including many they'd rather didn't, like Mojo Jojo and Him). Everyone knows where they go to school. The tabloid press probably follows them everywhere. They're bigger celebrities than the Olsen twins and the cast of Twilight combined. Putting on masks or using different costumes won't change that.[/quote']

Yeah, about the only real way that they'd be able to create secret IDs for themselves and to have

some privacy would be to leave their current timeline altogether for another universe, one where

they're absolutely unknown. The only drawback to that from the Professor's point of view would

be that he'd have to start all over as far as becoming a well-known scientist -- but then again,

that might not be such a bad thing after all, would it?

Do you think the adult girls would choose new names or code-names?

Personally, I don't think so. It has been a few years since I watched the series but I do not remember anything in their continuity where "Superhero" names/codenames were ever used. They might try getting rid of the "Powerpuff Girls" moniker but after years of use if they continued to fight as a team it would be very difficult to change. (And even if they tried it is highly unlikely it would catch on. The might start calling themselves "The Wonder Women" but people would still constantly say "there go the Powerpuff Girls". It could be quite the frustration).

There is one exception. I could easily see Buttercup going solo at some point in time, and trying out a different name (possibly sparking the whole "superhero" name thing in her continuity) because as she grows up "Buttercup" just doesn't sound tough enough.

Sort of; there's also the fact that one of the few times that I actually saw one of the episodes, it happened to

be the one where the Girls got pounded into the dirt by the RowdyRuff Boys. I simply figured that, after some-

thing like that happening to his girls, the good Professor would come up with some sort of protective outfit for

them for when they got older (and were facing enemies whose power level was on a par with their own, or

even better).

That was the reasoning behind the Professor's abortive effort to build the Girls a super-mecha to fight in. Not only did they never really need it, but it turned out to be more trouble (and collateral damage) than it was worth.

That doesn't mean he'll stop trying, of course, or that the Girls won't want to use some sort of super-vehicles in the future. It's been established that they need protective gear with an oxygen supply to operate in space. They would probably need it under water as well. Why would they need to go into space? To fight cosmic menaces such as alien invaders, who have troubled the girls a few times in the past and are likely to continue to do so.

Given the resources, I can easily see the Girls (especially Blossom) using super-vehicles and even having another go at a mech. There are several people in their world with the resources and skill to build true mecha (Mojo Jojo in particular loves to augment himself with that sort of technology), and the Girls already have a lot of experience fighting them. Give them thirteen more years of practice and they will be truly formidable mecha-smashers.

While I wasn't a huge follower I seem to recall the PPG flying into space and even staying there for awhile without protection. Was that "retconned" later?

The one time I saw them go into space (to destroy a meteor strike) they needed space suits.

That was the reasoning behind the Professor's abortive effort to build the Girls a super-mecha to fight in. Not only did they never really need it, but it turned out to be more trouble (and collateral damage) than it was worth.

That doesn't mean he'll stop trying, of course, or that the Girls won't want to use some sort of super-vehicles in the future. It's been established that they need protective gear with an oxygen supply to operate in space. They would probably need it under water as well. Why would they need to go into space? To fight cosmic menaces such as alien invaders, who have troubled the girls a few times in the past and are likely to continue to do so.

Given the resources, I can easily see the Girls (especially Blossom) using super-vehicles and even having another go at a mech. There are several people in their world with the resources and skill to build true mecha (Mojo Jojo in particular loves to augment himself with that sort of technology), and the Girls already have a lot of experience fighting them. Give them thirteen more years of practice and they will be truly formidable mecha-smashers.

Just in time to give Magnus a hand with the robot fighting...

The one time I saw them go into space (to destroy a meteor strike) they needed space suits.

I remember than flying into space for some reason and hiding out on asteroid (or was it supposed to be the moon?). It's not a big point and I could be mistaken. I haven't seen the show in years.

• 1 year later...