Justice League-type DC/Champions campaign. Advice, please.

Sammael

Re: Justice League-type DC/Champions campaign. Advice, please.

Here is a 250 Point Man of Steel.

Superman

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

15 DEX 15

25 CON 30

14 BODY 8

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

25 PD 15

15 ED 10

4 SPD 15

15 REC 0

50 END 0

50 END 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 150 Points

Cost Skills

3 Conversation 13-

3 Deduction 12-

1 FB: Press Pass

3 Streetwise 13-

Total Skills Cost: 10 Points

Cost Powers

15 Damage Resistance 20 rPD 10 rED

15 EC [Yellow Sun Energy]-15 Points

15 1) EB 6d6, Variable Special Effect [Heat (ED)/Wind (PD)], 2x END (-1/2)

12 2) Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), [Megascale (1km), Use Underwater, or 1/2 END Only (-1/2)]

16 ES: N-Ray Sight [Lead], PER +2

6 ES: RPT, Gestures (-1/4), IAF: Concealed Radio (-1/2)

11 LS: Extended Breathing [1 END/Minute], High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/Vacuum

Total Powers Cost: 250 Points

Total Cost: 250 Points

150+ Disadvantages

10 DNPC: Jimmy Olsen (Unaware Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

10 DNPC: Lois Lane (Unaware Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

10 Hunted: Lex Luthor (As Powerful) 8-

20 PsyL: Code Of The Hero (Very Common/Strong)

20 PsyL: Code Versus Killing (Common/Total)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [Kal-El/Clark Kent] (Occasionally/Major)

10 Vuln: Magic, 1 1/2x STUN (Common)

5 Vuln: Green Kryptonite Radiation, 1 1/2x STUN (Uncommon)

5 Vuln: Red Solar Radiation, 1 1/2x STUN (Uncommon)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250 Points

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a 250 Point Dark Knight

Batman

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

18 DEX 24

20 CON 20

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

11 EGO 2

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

8 PD 4

6 ED 2

4 SPD 12

8 REC 0

40 END 0

32 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 100 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Bugging 13-

6 Combat Luck +3 rPD +3 rED

3 Contortionist 13-

3 Criminology 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Disguise 13-

3 Fast Draw 13-

3 Lockpicking 13-

4 Martial Disarm

4 Martial Dodge

4 Martial Strike

3 Martial Throw

10 Money: Wealthy

5 Offensive Strike

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Shadowing 13-

10 SL: Overall +1

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 13-

Total Skills Cost: 85 Points

Cost Powers

10 Armor +5 rPD +5 rED, OIF: Costume (-1/2)

33 Multipower (50 Points) OIF: Utility Belt (-1/2)

1 u) Darkness [sight] AE 2"r, Personal Immunity (+1/2), [12c/Duration 1 Turn] (+1/4), OAF: Smoke Bombs (-1)

1 u) EB [Physical (PD)] 6d6, [16c] (-0), OAF: Batarangs (-1)

2 u) EB 5d6, AE One Hex (+1/2), Variable Special Effects [Any (PD/ED)], [16c] (-0), OAF: Special Weapons (-1)

1 u) EB 3d6, NND [LS: Self Contained] (+1), [16c] (-0), OAF: Sleep Gas (-1)

1 u) Entangle 3d6 DEF 3, [16c] (-0), OAF: Bolas (-1)

1 u) Flight 10", OIF: Batplane (-1/2)

1 u) Flight 8", Megascale [1km] (+1/4), OIF: Batplane (-1/2)

1 u) Running +5", 8x NCM, OIF: Batmobile (-1/2)

1 u) STR +20, No END (+1/2), OIF: Batarmor (-1/2)

1 u) Stretching 4", No END (+1/2), OAF: Line Gun (-1)

1 u) Swimming +10", 8x NCM, OIF: Batboat (-1/2)

1 u) Swinging 15", 4x NCM, OAF: Line Gun (-1)

3 ES: Nightvision, OIF: Cowl (-1/2)

Total Powers Cost: 65 Points

150+ Disadvantages

5 DNPC: Alfred Pennyworth (Useful Normal) 8-

10 DNPC: James Gordon (Unaware Useful Normal) 8-

5 Hunted: Catwoman (As Powerful/Mild) 8-

10 Hunted: Joker (As Powerful) 8-

20 Normal Characteristics Maxima

20 PsyL: Protective Of Innocents (Very Common/Strong)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [bruce Wayne] (Occasionally/Major)

It's all relative. The reason I don't champion a certain point level here is because there is no set point level for a fun campaign and any fun campaign is a good one. Since you're going to be running 6th, you'll have to raise points to account for the lack of figured stats and the additional OCV & DCV stats.

I double posted because my work computer sucks.

But again, look at the 250 point writeups that Cassandra posted. If you build JLAers on that point level, that's what they're going to look like. If that seems wrong to you, you need to put them on higher point totals.

I think you have to have a standard point level for play balance. If you don't you'll end up with an endless arms race and pretty soon you'll have a 6000 point Joker with the powers of Bat-Mite.

Where's the fun in that?

with respect to all who have taken the time to help you make your way in this game how about to get your feet wet build an average joe then a cop/ soldier after you feel comfortable with these basic characters go ahead and tackle a super being this way you get a prospective of just how powerful you have made your hero. besides you will need side characters for your story anyway

But again, look at the 250 point writeups that Cassandra posted. If you build JLAers on that point level, that's what they're going to look like. If that seems wrong to you, you need to put them on higher point totals.

I don't necessarily agree with the DC Heroes stats they put on their characters either. That is only ONE interpretation of those characters and that one is pre-Crisis.

It is possible to build a starting version of Superman in 6e that has a 75 'normal combat' STR and can get up to 120+ STR for heroic situations. It's even possible to get the defenses and everything else in the ranges mentioned by Massey. It's just not possible for the character to do ALL of those things simultaneously (which would only be appropriate for a pre-Crisis version of the character anyway).

A 1000+ point version is not necessary unless facing 1000+ point villains. (different strokes for different folks....)

from 6e2 page 27

Train/subway: STR 55-65, movement 80-160m

Noncombat (or up to 672m for bullet trains)

the rules are on page 26.

20m of movement = +5 STR

Given this, my 400 point 6e version of Superman could get up to a 120 STR (135 adding Flight) with his Kryptonian VPP.

To get the maximum +75 STR bonus (60 active Density Increase) would require an appropriate additional -1/2 Limitation (like Concentration or Extra Time; Extra Phase). Add in up to 60m Flight (with Extra Time) and he could get up to a 135 "lifting" STR (before Pushing) that would cost a minimum of 22 END per Phase to use (2 for base 45 STR + 8 for +75 STR from Density + 6 for Density Increase itself + 6 for Flight). That level of effort would knock him out in under 2 Turns.

From the APG page 9.

120 STR is enough to lift a mass = the Empire State Building

140 STR is enough to lift a mass = to the Great Pyramid of Giza (est.)

Sammael' date=' I think I need to put a few things in perspective. There is a bit of a divide in the HERO community as to the best way to represent established characters like the Justice League. What we have in this thread are some of the champions of the "low powered" side of the debate. If you search for "how do I build Superman" or other similar threads, you'll see quite a bit of disagreement on the subject. It's a shame these guys got to you first. :)[/quote']

:tonguewav

I should point out that I am specifically targeting the lower power members of the JLA in my builds. I'm also building the minimum points necessary versions.

Hawkman, the Atom and Aquaman are just as much members of the Justice League as Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman. Sure, the latter are built on 1000 more points, but they don't become any more Justice League-y in the process.

As a reminder, this is what the thread is about:

I've recently started a DC Adventures Campaign that I'm switching over to the Champions Complete rules set when I can (I'm still reading the rules). I'm not in a hurry to make the switch. I want to do it right. So I'm learning the rules now. Once the theory is down' date=' we'll play some combats then a couple of one-offs before actually switching. I plan on using DC characters and plenty of home-brew characters. The [i']DCA[/i] Power Level of the campaign is 16 (out of 20). I'm currently considering 650 point characters. I'm looking for any advice I can get as to point levels and any caps or restrictions that might be prudent for a JLA level team.

Alternatively' date=' is there any sage advice for a new [i']Champions[/i] GM?
I think some people tend to think it's a "my character write-up is better than yours" thread.

My opinion is that -as a new Champions GM- you would do better using 400 point characters (if you're using 6E). I like your idea of doing the combats, then one-offs and perhaps then using JLA-type characters. If there aren't any write-ups for 6E JLA characters that you like on 400 points, then my suggestion is to look at the 5E 350 point characters and then just convert them over to 6E (which shouldn't be too difficult, even if time consuming).

YMMV

I think some people tend to think it's a "my character write-up is better than yours" thread.

Heh. The other classic time-wasting argument is "Batman shouldn't be a member of the Justice League because he's so much less powerful than Superman". This ignores the fact that most of the Justice League are people like Aquaman, Hawkman and Green Arrow, with Superman being the outlying example at the top end.

I hope that's not the impression folks are getting from my posts. I just hate the idea put forth by some that these characters can't be modeled on points equal to or at least in the same ballpark as those of the PC's. I have no illusions about any character i've ever posted as being the 'best version' of anything. They are just possible solutions to a game mechanics puzzle.

I hope that's not the impression folks are getting from my posts. I just hate the idea put forth by some that these characters can't be modeled on points equal to or at least in the same ballpark as those of the PC's. I have no illusions about any character i've ever posted as being the 'best version' of anything. They are just possible solutions to a game mechanics puzzle.

Absolutely.

The worst possible reaction to any character build is "you're doing it wrong."

My understanding of the OP is that these are intended to be the PCs. He was running a game where the players were the JLA in a different system. Now he is looking to come over to Champions, but thought 350 was too low to accurately represent them.

My understanding of the OP is that these are intended to be the PCs. He was running a game where the players were the JLA in a different system. Now he is looking to come over to Champions' date=' but thought 350 was too low to accurately represent them.[/quote']

Actually that was addressed up thread:

All player-characters are original designs and homegrown. We'll fight evil with the DC Superheroes, not as them. :)

Nice to have the behind-the-scenes too. Thanks. :cool:

Sammael, I think I need to put a few things in perspective. There is a bit of a divide in the HERO community as to the best way to represent established characters like the Justice League. What we have in this thread are some of the champions of the "low powered" side of the debate. If you search for "how do I build Superman" or other similar threads, you'll see quite a bit of disagreement on the subject. It's a shame these guys got to you first. :)

I'm not that familiar with 6th edition, 5th has served me well and our group saw no reason to change. So some of the point totals I talk about will be a bit off. But if you know MEGS and have been using the Mutants and Masterminds system, you're already good as far as the basic concepts that drive HERO. Like MEGS and M&M, strength is exponential. So the Supeman writeup in the basic DC game would translate to a STR of 115 or so in Hero. So forget all this "Superman has a 60 STR" stuff. :D

The problem is that differences in attacks in HERO are probably more noticeable than in M&M. A PL16 Superman vs a standard PL10 villain, Superman is going to stomp the guy most of the time. Unless he gets some really bad rolls or the other guy catches him by surprise, Superman doesn't break a sweat. But in HERO, a STR 115 Superman with 50 PD and ED and an 8 SPD simply will not lose, ever, to the standard 350 point villain. Like, they can't even scratch him. Now, the differences in Champions aren't as extreme as they are in MEGS, where Superman has 25 APs of Strength and 18 APs of Body. But it will still play differently than Mutants and Masterminds.

My suggestion would be to start out a standard power level game (and yes, you can't play a decent JLA on standard points unless you're playing the adventures of Hawkman, Booster Gold, and Vibe), and then work your way up to the big boys. To get a good translation of Superman, ported over from M&M, you're gonna need like a thousand points. But that is not the place to start with your first Champions game. It's harder to scale and won't work as smoothly as M&M if you try to do it right out of the box.

This is a good reminder for me. I've been told earlier that CVs must be within a few points of each other for combats to be fun and to beware of really high PD/EDs. And thanks for your comparison to the DC Adventures/M&M 3rd Edition rules-sets, massey. That was helpful.

I wrote a great post about how to balance out a JLA level game and the board ate it.

Best advice (short version), decide how powerful you want your average superhero to be. Push the JLA characters above that average in areas where they show strengths. Be careful with direct conversions from other sources, because a 115 Str Superman is going to one-shot every single "average" character, so be aware of how those high power levels interact. If your world's average is 12D6, then most heroes (Hawkman, Aquaman, Batman, etc) should probably be in that range. Guys whose schtick is hitting really hard (Martian Manhunter, Supes, Wonder Woman) get more.

If you use a (5th edition) 350 point character as the standard for a normal superhuman (Captain Lightning of Sentinel City or something), and he's a 12D6, 20 Dex, 5 Speed, 25 PD/ED with 40 Stun kind of guy, and most of the world's villains are going to be built to fight him, then look and see how combat effective you want your JLA to be against that level of villain. Superman can be quite effective against that level of opponent if he's got 35 or 40 PD and ED and throws 15 or 16 dice.

"Average" brick (5th edition, with figured characteristics)

Str 60

Dex 18

Con 30

Body 15

Int 10

Ego 15

Pre 20

Com 10

PD 30

ED 25

Spd 4

Rec 18

End 60

Stun 60

15/15 DR

20" superleap

+2 levels hand to hand

assorted skills

Superman (balanced against average brick)

Str 75 (he's so strong even bricks are impressed)

Dex 26 (way fast)

Con 35 (tougher than normal bricks)

Body 15

Int 18+ (depending on how smart your Supes is)

Ego 20

Pre 30

Com 18

PD 40 (he's even tougher than a normal brick)

ED 35

Spd 7 (superspeed baby)

Rec 22

End 70

Stun 70

DR 25/25

25" flight plus some megascale

superbreath/heat vision in the 12-13D6 range, enough so he's also an effective blaster with his "lesser" powers

That will be a functional Superman as long as you keep most heroes down in the average range. Now if you start introducing 30D6 Dr Destroyer, Supes has to get a power boost.

This is good and it dovetails nicely with assault's two-pass method of character building. Very good synergy. :dyn

Here is a 250 Point Man of Steel.

Superman

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

15 DEX 15

25 CON 30

14 BODY 8

13 INT 3

10 EGO 0

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

25 PD 15

15 ED 10

4 SPD 15

15 REC 0

50 END 0

50 END 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 150 Points

Cost Skills

3 Conversation 13-

3 Deduction 12-

1 FB: Press Pass

3 Streetwise 13-

Total Skills Cost: 10 Points

Cost Powers

15 Damage Resistance 20 rPD 10 rED

15 EC [Yellow Sun Energy]-15 Points

15 1) EB 6d6, Variable Special Effect [Heat (ED)/Wind (PD)], 2x END (-1/2)

12 2) Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), [Megascale (1km), Use Underwater, or 1/2 END Only (-1/2)]

16 ES: N-Ray Sight [Lead], PER +2

11 LS: Extended Breathing [1 END/Minute], High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/Vacuum

Total Powers Cost: 250 Points

150+ Disadvantages

10 DNPC: Jimmy Olsen (Unaware Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

10 DNPC: Lois Lane (Unaware Slightly Less Powerful) 8-

10 Hunted: Lex Luthor (As Powerful) 8-

20 PsyL: Code Of The Hero (Very Common/Strong)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [Kal-El/Clark Kent] (Occasionally/Major)

10 Vuln: Magic, 1 1/2x STUN (Common)

5 Vuln: Green Kryptonite Radiation, 1 1/2x STUN (Uncommon)

5 Vuln: Red Solar Radiation, 1 1/2x STUN (Uncommon)

I'm very impressed with what you've done with 250 points. He's actually stronger (as in having a higher STR) than Hyper-Man's excellent 400 point 6E Man of Steel write-up! :) If anyone ever needed proof that it could be done, then this is surely such proof.

Here is a 250 Point Dark Knight

Batman

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

18 DEX 24

20 CON 20

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

11 EGO 2

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

8 PD 4

6 ED 2

4 SPD 12

8 REC 0

40 END 0

32 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 100 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Bugging 13-

6 Combat Luck +3 rPD +3 rED

3 Contortionist 13-

3 Criminology 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Disguise 13-

3 Fast Draw 13-

3 Lockpicking 13-

4 Martial Disarm

4 Martial Dodge

4 Martial Strike

3 Martial Throw

10 Money: Wealthy

5 Offensive Strike

3 Security Systems 13-

3 Shadowing 13-

10 SL: Overall +1

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 13-

Total Skills Cost: 85 Points

Cost Powers

10 Armor +5 rPD +5 rED, OIF: Costume (-1/2)

33 Multipower (50 Points) OIF: Utility Belt (-1/2)

1 u) Darkness [sight] AE 2"r, Personal Immunity (+1/2), [12c/Duration 1 Turn] (+1/4), OAF: Smoke Bombs (-1)

1 u) EB [Physical (PD)] 6d6, [16c] (-0), OAF: Batarangs (-1)

2 u) EB 5d6, AE One Hex (+1/2), Variable Special Effects [Any (PD/ED)], [16c] (-0), OAF: Special Weapons (-1)

1 u) EB 3d6, NND [LS: Self Contained] (+1), [16c] (-0), OAF: Sleep Gas (-1)

1 u) Entangle 3d6 DEF 3, [16c] (-0), OAF: Bolas (-1)

1 u) Flight 10", OIF: Batplane (-1/2)

1 u) Flight 8", Megascale [1km] (+1/4), OIF: Batplane (-1/2)

1 u) Running +5", 8x NCM, OIF: Batmobile (-1/2)

1 u) STR +20, No END (+1/2), OIF: Batarmor (-1/2)

1 u) Stretching 4", No END (+1/2), OAF: Line Gun (-1)

1 u) Swimming +10", 8x NCM, OIF: Batboat (-1/2)

1 u) Swinging 15", 4x NCM, OAF: Line Gun (-1)

3 ES: Nightvision, OIF: Cowl (-1/2)

Total Powers Cost: 65 Points

150+ Disadvantages

5 DNPC: Alfred Pennyworth (Useful Normal) 8-

10 DNPC: James Gordon (Unaware Useful Normal) 8-

5 Hunted: Catwoman (As Powerful/Mild) 8-

10 Hunted: Joker (As Powerful) 8-

20 Normal Characteristics Maxima

20 PsyL: Protective Of Innocents (Very Common/Strong)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [bruce Wayne] (Occasionally/Major)

Another great example of a low-powered version of a high-powered character. This can almost qualify as a superpower. Surprisingly enough, though, I enjoyed your Superman more, despite Bat Man's extensive collection of skills and his wicked Utility Belt. :dyn As a neophyte, I'm probably wrong, but his skills feel low to me at 13-. Thanks for the great write-ups.

It's all relative. The reason I don't champion a certain point level here is because there is no set point level for a fun campaign and any fun campaign is a good one. Since you're going to be running 6th' date=' you'll have to raise points to account for the lack of figured stats and the additional OCV & DCV stats.[/quote']

Exactly! :) Though I am learning so much from the discussion!

I think you have to have a standard point level for play balance. If you don't you'll end up with an endless arms race and pretty soon you'll have a 6000 point Joker with the powers of Bat-Mite.

Where's the fun in that?

I've definitely been convinced of the need to establish a core point level for most of the heroes and villains, from which a few, exceptional, specimens shall rise from on occasion. Between the 250 point samples so kindly provided by Cassandra, the 400 pointers created by Hyper-Man, and the sketches of assault and massey, I've also been shown how versatile the Champions rules are in creating characters. That there is no one true way, no single point value that'll do the job we ask when creating our alter-egos. My natural preference, by personality, is to throw fistfuls of points at the process and play truly powerful characters. I simply adore power. :king: It's good to be the God-King! :eg: But... not this time. I want to do this right. I want to give the Champions Complete rules a real chance to be my game system of choice. That won't happen if I screw it all up right out of the gate! The base points are very likely to be set at the 400 CP level, but the Big Guns are going to be built on more points. 6000 points? Wow. How many pages would that character sheet be? :nonp: No fear of extreme power creep.

At least not in this campaign.

with respect to all who have taken the time to help you make your way in this game how about to get your feet wet build an average joe then a cop/ soldier after you feel comfortable with these basic characters go ahead and tackle a super being this way you get a prospective of just how powerful you have made your hero. besides you will need side characters for your story anyway

Sounds like great advice and you are technically correct - and that is the best kind of correct! - but you are too late. I'm already working on a superheroic NPC.