Need help with first Fantasy toon

phydaux

Hi! I'm a long time Champions player (Champions I-II-III long time) but my gaming group wants to give Fantasy Hero a try, and I'm just lost on how to build a character.

Campaign guidelines (I guess my GM is using that word loosely) are 150 points max, with 50 points from disadds, and 40 active points cap on "powers." We will be using 5th ed rules.

Now normally I play spell casters, so right off the bat I was all "VPP, Magic Only, 1-Handed Gestured & Incantations, change on the fly with skill roll, OIF Amulet..." But that won't actually help me learn the ins & outs of the system. So I decided to play a fighter-type. And quickly realized I need help.

I've got two ideas for characters, both based off Game of Thrones.

The first is a character much like Jamie Lanister. (I don't want to BE Jamie, just "like Jamie." Just like I tell new Champions players you can be LIKE Wolverine, but you can't BE Wolverine.)

Ser Jamie is strong & quick, but not the "-est" of either. So armor, sword & shield. I'm thinking 2d6 HtHKA OAF, with a 15 STR so he can get 3D6 when he really needs it. Maybe 1/2 END cost on both the STR and the HtHKA. Armor would be 6PD/6ED OIF, and the shield would be another 6PD/6ED OAF and Req. DEX Roll. A few inches of Running, Swimming & Jumping (maybe just Running).

I have no idea what Disadds to buy. Is "Smug" a Psych Lim?

My other idea is a young Robert Barathion. Armor & shield like Jamie above. His hammer I'm thinking would be 8d8 Hand Attack OAF. That, plus a base 20 STR, will give this guy plenty of "oomph" in HtH. I should be able to manage at least 1/2 END on that.

Please help me with your takes on these guys.

Thanks,

phy

Re: Need help with first Fantasy toon

Quick question: is your GM allowing/requiring you to buy your personal equipment with Character Points? Most heroic-level fantasy characters in HERO don't pay CP for weapons and equipment that are available to anyone in the setting. That's usually obtained with in-character money, provided by a patron/employer, or scavenged/stolen, much like it would be in the real world. The HERO System Fifth Edition rule book, the Fantasy HERO genre book, and the HERO System Equipment Guide, include extensive lists of era-appropriate prebuilt weapons and equipment.

If that's not the case, has your GM given you any indication as to what the Damage Class limits will be for Attacks, and Active Points in Defenses?

Hi! I'm a long time Champions player (Champions I-II-III long time) but my gaming group wants to give Fantasy Hero a try' date=' and I'm just [i']lost[/i] on how to build a character.

Campaign guidelines (I guess my GM is using that word loosely) are 150 points max, with 50 points from disadds, and 40 active points cap on "powers." We will be using 5th ed rules.

Now normally I play spell casters, so right off the bat I was all "VPP, Magic Only, 1-Handed Gestured & Incantations, change on the fly with skill roll, OIF Amulet..." But that won't actually help me learn the ins & outs of the system. So I decided to play a fighter-type. And quickly realized I need help.

I've got two ideas for characters, both based off Game of Thrones.

The first is a character much like Jamie Lanister. (I don't want to BE Jamie, just "like Jamie." Just like I tell new Champions players you can be LIKE Wolverine, but you can't BE Wolverine.)

Ser Jamie is strong & quick, but not the "-est" of either. So armor, sword & shield. I'm thinking 2d6 HtHKA OAF, with a 15 STR so he can get 3D6 when he really needs it. Maybe 1/2 END cost on both the STR and the HtHKA. Armor would be 6PD/6ED OIF, and the shield would be another 6PD/6ED OAF and Req. DEX Roll. A few inches of Running, Swimming & Jumping (maybe just Running).

I have no idea what Disadds to buy. Is "Smug" a Psych Lim?

My other idea is a young Robert Barathion. Armor & shield like Jamie above. His hammer I'm thinking would be 8d8 Hand Attack OAF. That, plus a base 20 STR, will give this guy plenty of "oomph" in HtH. I should be able to manage at least 1/2 END on that.

Please help me with your takes on these guys.

Thanks,

phy

Like Lord Liaden alluded to. In Fantasy Hero, it is customary to not have to pay for equipment. So unless your Character has a piece of magical equipment, don't worry about buying your Armor, or Weapons with Character points.

so you want to be an awesome Knight/Swordsman/Duellist like Jaime Lannister.

If you had the Fantasy Hero Sourcebook I would say look for the sections on the Warrior(Fighter) Archetypes. Without it you need to buy Weapon Familarities for every weapon your character can use. Don't worry they are grouped into inexpensive sets. Only exotic weapons cost per weapon known.

Your character will be using Characteristic Maximums. So Primary Characteristics will max out at 20 and higher values than that cost double. You will have to check the book for the maxes for Figured Characteristics.

Most FH games are average Dex 14, Spd 3, DC 4-6, Def 4-8 (+armor r3-r5) So assume this.

Jaime is a Duelist so I would give him a dex of 18, Spd 4 this makes him faster than just about everyone. Remember the town guards will be dex 11 or so and elites will be dex 14. He would have Weapon Familiarity Common Melee Weapons. I would also assume that he is familar with common missle weapons as well. He should have probably 3-4 levels with his Sword Probably 3 pointers so he can apply them to Dex while using his sword. He can Ride well as a noble. Also he is both very handsome (18 Com probably), and also should have a pre of 18 or so. Seduction, Conversation, Persuasion and High Society should be on his list. He should have KS Lannister History. KS Kingdom law. He should have tactics. KS Nobles of the Realm. I know I am missing a bunch more. I really don't care for the series and I am going off what I remember of the Cable Series (I did read the original book right when it was published, but that was like 20 years ago or so).

Oh and Jaime seems to use a bastard sword(1.5D6RKA, Str Min 13) . Which is a Str min 13 using Two handed or Str 15 One Handed. It's probably best if Jaime use his skill levels to increase DC's when it's appropriate, since he's not supposed to be a strong man like Arnold's Conan.

A War Hammer is 1d6+1 RKA, +1 Stun Multiplier 13 Str Min

The Weapon Chart in 5th Revised is on pg481, Armor is on 488. Fantasy Hero Genre book has expanded sections for both.

Quick question: is your GM allowing/requiring you to buy your personal equipment with Character Points? Most heroic-level fantasy characters in HERO don't pay CP for weapons and equipment that are available to anyone in the setting. That's usually obtained with in-character money' date=' provided by a patron/employer, or scavenged/stolen, much like it would be in the real world. The [i']HERO System Fifth Edition[/i] rule book, the Fantasy HERO genre book, and the HERO System Equipment Guide, include extensive lists of era-appropriate prebuilt weapons and equipment.

If that's not the case, has your GM given you any indication as to what the Damage Class limits will be for Attacks, and Active Points in Defenses?

I'm treading lightly here. The GM in question is an inexperienced GM to begin with, not just an inexperienced Champions GM, and he has never GM'ed Fantasy Hero. The only on in the gaming group who has played Fantasy Hero just said "Buy all your gear with the limitations "Focus" and "Real Sword/Real Armor." I think he might be handwaving "to make it easy on everyone."

I'm treading lightly here. The GM in question is an inexperienced GM to begin with' date=' not just an inexperienced Champions GM, and he has [i']never[/i] GM'ed Fantasy Hero. The only on in the gaming group who has played Fantasy Hero just said "Buy all your gear with the limitations "Focus" and "Real Sword/Real Armor." I think he might be handwaving "to make it easy on everyone."

Seriously, bring this up to you game group.

The points you are working with, paying points for everything is madness. Use the character point only for Characteristics, Skills, Perks, Talents and Powers (spells etc). The Fantasy Hero book includes a huge list of equipment, armor, weapons etc that you can use in your game. Don't charge points for this stuff. I also suggest that you do NOT charge points for magical items found in the game either, unless that player wishes to start the game with the magical item and that item is an inherent part of the characters design/story. Utilizing this method, the GM is in charge of designing all of the magical items found in the campaign and thus can also control the power-level of the magic prevalent within the game.

As far as designing your fighter is concerned, they are pretty easy actually. A fighter is a great character to start with and doing so will teach you a lot about the HERO combat system and how absolutely awesome it is once you wrap your mind around how combat works and become proficient with the system.

So you want a Jaime Lannister clone? You want your character to be a [EXPLETIVE DELETED]? Okay, Lannister is a knight. That's a type of heavy fighter. He's going to have high STR and CON for fighting and the possibility of being hit. Lannister is one of the finest swordsmen in Westeros, so your Lannister clone is going to need a pretty decent DEX (I recommend at least 15-18) but Lannister is not a huge man...he's average sized (maybe a little taller?) with a decently solid build...So a Body of 12-15 is probably reasonable. He's also intelligent and witty, so don't forget his mental characteristics. They should all be somewhat above average. His COM is pretty high..he's considered a pretty boy, though not so pretty as The Knight of Flowers. I'd peg him to be at about a 16. (the Knight of Flowers I would put at 18) as for his secondary Characteristics, his PD and ED should be above average, but he's not super-tough, he's super-skilled, so I would go with a 5-6 PD and ED and leave the 7-8 zone to the likes of The Hound and The Mountain that Moves. Your Lannister clone's SPD is very important. SPD is the great equalizer in Heroic level games as a 1 point difference makes a combatant fairly superior to others slower to him/her. One of Jaime Lannisters defining attributes is his speed and grace in battle. He is capable of taking on multiple attackers and coming out on top. To represent this, he should have a Speed of at least 3. No less than this. If your GM is okay with it, you should probably make him Speed 4 to showcase his supreme fighting ability, just be aware that in a Heroic level game, Speed 4 is usually the top speed in the campaign and you may never be able to go higher than this (without magical assistance) so there may be no room to grow in this area if you start out at the "max level".

As far as his skills are concerned, he needs all the skills required to make him a proper Knight. Check the Fantasy Hero template for a Knight, should be in there. Weapon Familiarity (commn melee), Riding, High Society, Oratory etc. are all necessary skills for the character. Since Lannister is a supremely skilled swordsman/combatant, some Combat Skill Levels are in order. I would suggest at least 2 3-pt Combat Skill Levels with Swords (or Sword and Shield combo) and probably at least 2 5-pt Melee Combat Skill Levels (which can be used with Sword and Shield and any other melee weapon he picks up) and those would go a long way to making him very, very good at fighting. Other combat skills I would suggest would be Defense Maneuver (at least level 2), Combat Sense (for fighting in darkness), Rapid Attack (to be able to move and perform multiple attacks in the same phase, an essential skill for fast, mobile fighters) and Two-Weapon Fighting (melee, for using Sword and Shield-bash in the same phase) and possibly Martial Arts if you GM is okay with an Occidental-style character using "Martial Arts" in his campaign (some silly GM's don't like this because they cannot for some odd reason disassociate the term "Martial Arts" from asian style fighting systems, when in HERO, Martial Arts are simply refined and practiced fighting ability. I don't understand it, but they have a right to their opinion)

As far as Talents and Powers are concerned, a Jaime Lannister clone would probably have a few Talents that help represent is supreme fighting ability, which will help push him above the normal fighter. Talents that I would suggest include Deadly Blow (with Swords), Combat Luck, Sword Flurry (I'll write that up for you below), Riposte (I'll write that one up for you as well)

As far as Disads are concerned, he would have a Watched (by whatever knight order he belonged to), some phsyche disads to represent his arrogance and umm...colorful...personality. Some social disads if you intend to go "Full Lannister" and include his unusual relationship. He would definitely have a Desire to protect family above all else as a disad and this would be at the Total level because Lannister does some very villainous things just to protect his family, his own honor be damned.

Oh, and perks include Aristocracy, and Knight and Money perks.

Some suggested Talents: (one's I made myself. Use these as examples)

Flurry:

HKA 1D6+1k (20) Autofire 3 (+1/4) 25 Active Points

Extra Time: Full Phase (-1/2) OAF (-1) Any Sword weapon.

Real Cost: 10pts. End = 2/strike (6 for a full flurry)

The Flurry Talent represents a perfected maneuver by a warrior which consists of the warrior brandishing his weapon in three extremely rapid strikes or slashes. The maneuver can be devastating against unskilled opponents and can help a warrior bring tough opponents down quickly. However a word of warning: performing this maneuver can be tiring and will quickly wear down even the hardiest of battle-hardened warriors if they over-rely on this technique.

Note: With this Talent, a warrior can learn Autofire Skills such as Rapid Autofire (allowing the character to use this technique with the Sweep maneuver for multiple autofire strikes...watch your END!), Concentrated Sprayfire (allowing the character to aim two strikes at a single target and one strike at a secondary target), Accurate Sprayfire (having only a -1 OCV penalty for engaging multiple attackers instead of a potential -3 OCV to each attack. This is a good one) Rapid Autofire and Accurate Sprayfire are especially recommended.

Riposte:

1D6+1 HKA (20) Trigger (power triggered after a successful block +1/4, Zero phase action, Automatically resets +1/2) +3/4 35 Active Points.

OAF (-1) Any sword. x2 Endurance (-1/2)

Real Points: 14. End = 7 per Riposte.

This Talent allows a warrior to perform an automatic counter attack after a successful block as long as they have a prepared weapon in hand. It doesn't matter if the block was made with the weapon in question or with a shield or other object, as long as the weapon is ready, they essentially get a free attack when they succesffully block.

Note: This technique is especially powerful because this technique is in and of itself essentially unblockable, because it is an immediate counter-attack against an opponent that just attacked in that segment, meaning there is no way for them to mount a block defense against such an attack (without some sort of Trigger mechanism). The trigger takes a zero phase action to prepare it ("readying" the weapon at hand) and it automatically resets, so it can be used any number of times, as long as the character successfully blocks attacks made against him. Be warned though, the Endurance expenditure is pretty high at 7 End per counter attack and most warriors would run dry of END after only 4 counter-strikes.

He would definitely have a Desire to protect family above all else as a disad and this would be at the Total level because Lannister does some very villainous things just to protect his family, his own honor be damned.

"The things I do for love...."

In the first 50 pages of Book One you find out that Jamie killed the king he swore his life to protect, that he is having an afair with the wife of the current king who also happens to be his sister, and he tried to kill an innocent 10 year-old boy. And by the middle of Book Three he turned into one of my favorite characters.

In the first 50 pages of Book One you find out that Jamie killed the king he swore his life to protect' date=' that he is having an afair with the wife of the current king who also happens to be his sister, and he tried to kill an innocent 10 year-old boy. And by the middle of Book Three he turned into one of my favorite characters.[/quote']

Yeah. He's a complete ****, but a believable, almost sympathetic ****. So far, I've been impressed by how Nikolaj Coster-Waldau nailed the role in the TV series: that's almost exactly how I imagined him.

I think, before we can give you helpful advice you need to talk with your GM and get some feedback on several points. Specifically:

1. Are you going to use standard "heroic rules" where players do not pay XP for standard mundane equipment

2. Are you going to use martial arts?

3. Will the GM allow "powers as skills"? (the builds NuSoardGraphite posted above are an example of "powers as skills")

Once you've gotten that nailed, we should be able to make some more specific suggestions.

cheers, Mark

I'm going to try to avoid going the MA route just on GP. That said, has anyone written up a really cool Sword Fu?

Say the GM does allow powers as skills (and I think he will, because several of the long time players are total munchkins and will insist on it) will I be OK if I don't buy a bunch of "Feats" and just spend the points on more Skill Levels?

If I can use Skill Levels to improve DCs (and I didn't know that I could), can I buy Skill Levels for +DC Only? Just like I know I can buy Skill Levels just to offset Range Penalties, or just to offset Called Shot penalties.

"Called Shot to the head! Called Shot to the head!"

Regarding Deadly Blow, does that give +1d6 normal damage (+1DC), or since it's a Sword does it give +1d6 KA damage (+3DC)?

Bastard Sword is 1 1/2d6 HtH KA. +2 Skill Levels Common Melee Weapons +DC Only will take it to 2d6 HtH KA. STR 15 will take it to 3d6 HtH KA. And Deadly Blow will take it to 4d6 HtH KA.

DEX 18 gives him a CV of 6. What level of Combat Skill Level gives +Melee OCV or +Melee DCV, to be declaired at the start of the action phase? 5 pip per or 8 pip per? 5 isn't it?

Bastard Sword is 1 1/2d6 HtH KA. +2 Skill Levels Common Melee Weapons +DC Only will take it to 2d6 HtH KA. STR 15 will take it to 3d6 HtH KA. And Deadly Blow will take it to 4d6 HtH KA.

DEX 18 gives him a CV of 6. What level of Combat Skill Level gives +Melee OCV or +Melee DCV, to be declared at the start of the action phase? 5 pip per or 8 pip per? 5 isn't it?

All FH weapons have a Strength Minimum. Which is the minimum strength required to use the weapon. It also defines the point where extra strength can do extra damage. So a bastard sword with Str Min of 13 would need an 18 to take it to 2d6HKA, (20 Str required if it is used one handed). Deadly blow will take the damage up to 3d6 HKA

A 3 point Combat skill level with Swords will allow the character to use the level as either DCV, OCV, or .5 DC(doesn't round up).

a 5 Point Combat Skill Level with HtH weapons will do the same thing with any Melee Weapon or attack the Character uses

an 8 Point Combat Skill level allows the same as above with any Weapon or combat maneuver.

At this point I would direct you to read the section in the 5er book about Equipment esp Weapons. Also I would highly recommend that you pick up a Copy of Fantasy Hero. FH will answer a ton of questions about power levels. Basically I can see you are still thinking about Superheroic Power levels for damage. You can really do just fine in any Heroic Level Game with DC 5-7. I also recommend that you use the Hit Location chart.

Building Heroic characters is actually fairly different from building superheroes. One HUGE difference is the change of focus from Powers to Skills. In Champions it's all about powers and power construction. In Heroic Genre Games it's all about the skills the PC's have and what they can do with those skills.

DEX 18 gives him a CV of 6. What level of Combat Skill Level gives +Melee OCV or +Melee DCV, to be declaired at the start of the action phase? 5 pip per or 8 pip per? 5 isn't it?

3pt, 5pt and 8pt Combat Skill Levels allow you to declare where the CSL goes at the start of your phase. No only can they be used to augment OCV and/or DCV, but can also be used to augment Damage Class as well. (at a rate of 2 CSL's for +1 Damage Class) The 2pt CSL's are only used as +1 OCV per Skill Level and then only for a single type of attack.

Thanks!

How many DCs to take 1 1/2d6 HtH KA to 2d6? Is it 1 or 2?

+1 DC from 1 1/2D6k to 2D6k. The chart goes like this:

1: 1pip

2: 1/2D6k (1D6-1k)

3: 1D6k

4: 1D6+1k

5: 1 1/2D6k (2D6-1k)

6: 2D6k

7: 2D6+1k

8: 2 1/2D6k (3D6-1k)

9: 3D6k

And so on...

Note, the damage in parenthesis is an alternate damage amount for those who don't like rolling the half-die. I don't use it, but quite a few around here do.

Lets take the damage of a normal longsword (4 DC or 1D6+1k) and increase it via Combat Skill Levels. 2 Combat Skill Levels used to increase damage class, would add +1DC boosting it to 5DC or 1 1/2D6k. 4 CSL's would give a +2DC bonus, boosting it to 6DC or 2D6k. In order to max out the Damage Class of the weapon (base DC=4, so max DC=8) it would require 8 Combat Skill Levels in total. However, since STR and Martial Arts also work to increase Damage Class, we usually don't need to use more than 2 or 4 CSL's to max out your weapon. Be aware than in most Heroic Level games where weapons have Strength Minimums, it is difficult to impossible to max the Damage Class of one's weapon with Strength alone.

• 3 weeks later...

There is actually a role playing game called "Toon" or at least, used to be. It's great for playing cartoon characters.

But if you want to use Hero for toons, I'd suggest high DEFenses, Damage Reduction, and Regeneration to represent that cartoon ability to take absurd amounts of damage and then bounce back for the next scene.

Lucius Alexander

Animating a palindromedary

There is actually a role playing game called "Toon" or at least' date=' used to be. It's great for playing cartoon characters. But if you want to use Hero for toons, I'd suggest high DEFenses, Damage Reduction, and Regeneration to represent that cartoon ability to take absurd amounts of damage and then bounce back for the next scene. Lucius Alexander Animating a palindromedary[/quote']

I don't think he was talking about making a cartoon character. See my question above.

Yeah, I was wanting to ask about that. I've seen reference to Characters being referred to as "toons" on other message boards as well. When the hell did this start? Is it for a specific reason, or is it just people being too lazy to write out the word "character"?
I think it may have come out of the MMO community. I first encountered it in the WoW forums.

There is actually a role playing game called "Toon" or at least' date=' used to be. It's great for playing cartoon characters. But if you want to use Hero for toons, I'd suggest high DEFenses, Damage Reduction, and Regeneration to represent that cartoon ability to take absurd amounts of damage and then bounce back for the next scene.[/quote']

MMORPG and other video-game players frequently use the word "toon" to describe their characters. "Toon", "Avatar" and "Character" are used interchangeably..

​Most MMORPG player characters do not die permanently when killed. You usually have to go through certain steps to resurrect them, but eventually you will be able t. It's different from most tabletop RPGs where the threat of PC death is very real, and might tend to encourage reckless play in some circumstances. Often you don't know how dangeround an NPC is until he drives you into the ground.

There is actually a role playing game called "Toon" or at least' date=' used to be. It's great for playing cartoon characters. But if you want to use Hero for toons, I'd suggest high DEFenses, Damage Reduction, and Regeneration to represent that cartoon ability to take absurd amounts of damage and then bounce back for the next scene.[/quote'] MMORPG and other video-game players frequently use the word "toon" to describe their characters. "Toon", "Avatar" and "Character" are used interchangeably.. ​Most MMORPG player characters do not die permanently when killed. You usually have to go through certain steps to resurrect them, but eventually you will be able t. It's different from most tabletop RPGs where the threat of PC death is very real, and might tend to encourage reckless play in some circumstances. Often you don't know how dangeround an NPC is until he drives you into the ground.

It's also because MMORPG characters are typically ridiculously durable: they fall off high cliffs, take a dozen swordstrikes to the face, get hit by an explosion and fly 30 metres ... and get up and run back into the fray. From my experience that's where the "Toon" moniker came from. Initially it was used derisively (at least when I encountered it) but now it just seems to mean "PC" or Character.

cheers, Mark