Nexus 7 (super-hero group) Ideas Needed

The Arc

Hello All,

I'm trying to work on an idea that has been stewing in the back of my mind. Nexus 7 is a group of teen super-heroines who're guarding Nexus, which is gateway that links countless worlds almost instantaneously. The concept is similar to 'farcaster' technology from Dan Simmons Hyperion series, or that of the Webway from WHK 40K. These girls are protecting the Nexus against the Skellarian Empire, which is an alien empire bent for conquest. With the Nexus in their hand they would be unstoppable.

So far I've come up with 5 of the 7 characters. I'm in need of at least 2 more. So far there is:

Starjewel (an alien princess EB'er, whose homeworld was whipped out by the Skellarians. She alone possesses the starjewel that opens the Nexus).

Velocity, a Ukrainian former mercenary super-human. She's a flying brick.

Harpy, a Greek girl whose been chased from her home because of her differences.

Kadru from India. She has the blood of the Naga in her. Not exactly sure what her powers are going to be.

Temblor from Africa, she creates earthquakes.

So any thoughts on who the others could be? I'm not sure what other archetypes I'd like, but I don't think I want any weaponmasters.

Re: Kadru-  Nagas are king cobras that may take human form. They tend to be very curious. According to traditions nāgas are only malevolent to humans when they have been mistreated. They are susceptible to mankind's disrespectful actions in relation to the environment. They are also associated with waters—rivers, lakes, seas, and wells—and are generally regarded as guardians of treasure. (They are objects of great reverence in some parts of southern India where it is believed that they bring fertility and prosperity to their venerators. Expensive and grand rituals like Nagamandala are conducted in their honor (see Nagaradhane). In India, certain communities called Nagavanshi consider themselves descendants of Nagas.

Varuna, the Vedic god of storms, is viewed as the King of the nāgas. Nāgas live in Pātāla, the seventh of the "nether" dimensions or realms. They are children of Kashyapa and Kadru.  -wikipedia

So, Kadru could be a nosy environmentalist, who is believed to be from India, but is really from Pātāla, as above.

How about a Chinese member and a Yank?  Just to switch it up, make the Yank a martial artist and the Chinese the gadgeteer.

the team definitely needs a scientist as a suggestion

Crystal Alice

Victorian girl genius a mathematical prodigy, Alice was fascinated by crystals from an early age after seeing a display of them at the great exhibition at crystal palace which was how she got the affectionate family nick name Crystal Alice.

her love of geometric forms lead her and her amazing mind into the study of higher dimension she correspondence with her uncles Edwin and Charles already learned men in mathematics and science went with her father to the royal society and spent days wandering the libraries. and when she was 14 it came to her in the night a brilliant eureka moment a way to open a gateway into another dimension using crystal harmonics. she constructed the device in secret as it was not considered a suitable pursuit for a young lady.

the device worked and Alice stepped through the crystal gateway only to find her self aboard an derelict alien ship unwilling to venture to far from the portal she tried to step back through only for the doorway back to close as she tried to step through. trapped alone she explored the abandoned ship as she explored its long abandoned halls the ship came alive lights coming on to guide her to the command deck where she would meet the ships AI the ships telepathic controls spoke to her and told her it story cast alone among the stars when its crew had had to abandon it millennia ago. Alice was trapped aboard she kept the ship company for almost 2 years learning from the ships library of the extraordinary technology of the race that had built the craft.

Alice tried multiple times to recreate her device and open the doorway back to earth only for it to open in the emptiness of space time and again. eventually the life support systems of the ancient ship started to fail unable to repair the systems

Alice was forced to enter one of the ships stasis tubes and wait for rescue and it was not  until over a century and half had past that she would be found and revived by the wandering princess star jewel and invited to become a member of the Nexus 7.

Alice is a classic gageteer constantly tinkering with a range of weapons tools and devices created through the melding of her innate grasp of higher dimensional mathematics and her time among the aliens ship libraries and systems.

her greatest hope is to learn enough about the nexus so that she can recreate her crystal resonance machine and return home she is pretty confident that once properly tuned the device will allow travel through both space and time. but she has not figured out how to precisely target the device which frustrates her no end as the star jewel does it effortlessly.

personality wise Alice is complex a mix of tomboy/absent professor and proper Victorian lady mixed with her time lost outlook shes a bit of a mystery to the other girls.

one other option is to keep the ship a half derelict alien ship lost in the vastness of space might make an ideal home base for a renegade princess and her ragtag bunch of freedom fighters.

Mmm, touch of Weapon Master here but mostly Martial artist

Golden Glove

Lashay Washington is the daughter of Dumas Washington, a winner of the Golden Gloves amatuer boxing tournement. Dumas could have gone pro, but gave up a career at the request of the woman he loved, Lashay's mother. Still, Lashay idolized her dad, and when the chance for female olympic boxing came up, she determined to go for it. She trained on the side, first with others, then, when her dad found out she was going to insist, with her old man.

She was going for a gold medal, instead, she found herself getting gold of a completely different nature. The Empire sent out a scouting party, to grab some local humans...reasons unknown. Unfortunately for Mr. Washington, his 'real job' in security meant he got taken along with some scientists. Lashay managed to avoid the initial capture, but snuck onto the transport ship, and later found herself on a much bigger one looking for where they took her dad.

Instead, she stumbled into a room of relics, antiquities from other worlds that the Empire had long conquered. Most of the weapons were far too advanced for her to understand, but that pair of golden hued gauntlets looked pretty handy. So she slipped them on.

An alarm sounded, and Lashay found herself besieged by a dozen alien troopers. They fired blasts, and she found that her gauntlets could deflect them. She also discovered, much to her enemies dismay, that her already impressive right hook had been magnified one hundred fold! Lashay did some serious damage but would have lost if it hadn't been for the incoming rescue of her future team.

Now she stays with the rest of them, calling herself Golden Glove. While her mitts can deflect almost anything now, the rest of her is shielded by an only silghtly protective costume so she has to keep her guard up. Fortunately, she's got quick hands and knows how to use them to devastating effect. She practices constantly and actually has grown to love superheroing.

The downside? While they don't seem to hurt her, the gauntlets just won't come off.

And some times she has strange dreams of being a champion in an alien world. Is it just one set of memories stored in the gauntlets, or many? And is it just going to be contained to dreams? She's really not sure.

Lashay is an American of mixed heritage. Her father being black while her mother is herself half Latina and half white. Having taken @#$#$ from all sides, she doesn't much care for bigotry but she tries not to lose her temper against such.

Usually she succeeds.

Usually.

I like Crystal Alice (it's got a real good Girl Genius vibe to her; plus a Victorian or maybe Edwardian lost in time has a good feel to it, not to mention the Whovian aspect as well). It also makes me think of the anime Steam Boy.

Golden Glove is great as well. Reminds me of a character from Astro City. I'll see what I can come up with.

Okay, here a two versions of Kadru. I'm not sure which I like best...

kadru1_zps89951787.png

or

kadru_zps2cca6ffe.png

I haven't decided if this is her natural form, or should do a human form. Still not exactly sure what her powers are going to be like. I was thinking something along the lines of a stretcher, but not completely sold on the idea.

Also Golden Gloves' background brings to mind Risk, Argent, and Joto of the Teen Titans who were abducted by aliens. BTW-If anyone is curious the Skellarians do have a secret base on Earth, it's hidden in the Australian Outback (which is a good place for the Skellarians because they're reptilian by nature). 

crystalalice1_zps376dff45.png

Okay I made a few alterations to the image to fit my tastes. Hope you don't mind. So here are the parameters of the Nexus 7 characters. They're teen champion based levels (150 points+100 points disads; 5th ed. Who want to help with the build? Normally I'd disallow a power framework, but with a gadgeteer that probably wouldn't work well. So I'm open to suggestions for skills, powers, disads, etc...

I like Crystal Alice (it's got a real good Girl Genius vibe to her; plus a Victorian or maybe Edwardian lost in time has a good feel to it, not to mention the Whovian aspect as well). It also makes me think of the anime Steam Boy.

My first though was actually "Alice in Wonderland". The only way to make it more obvious would have been to name the one Uncle Lewis (instead of Charles, real first name of the Author). And I am pretty sure "Edward" makes soem appereance in the book too.

Golden Glove is great as well. Reminds me of a character from Astro City. I'll see what I can come up with.

There is a golden gloove in the "Dairy" part of "Hero by Night" Webcomic:

http://herobynight.keenspot.com/d/20061020.html

He appears here for the first time:

http://herobynight.keenspot.com/d/20061115.html

• 2 weeks later...

So I really liked the idea for Golden Gloves, but I decided to changes things up a bit, and here is the results...

arena_zps9b615be8.png

Arena

So here are some of the thoughts that went into Arena. The image is inspired by a lot of different characters, such as Roulette (from Justice League Unlimited, and a tip of the hat to Marvel's Arcade), Vixen from DC, and the infinity gauntlet from Marvel (I was tempted to adding the soul gems to the boxing gloves). Arena is further based upon Golden Gloves II from Astro City.