Organization Name Help Wanted

Guest Worldmaker

Guest Worldmaker

I've got a criminal agency in the new GGU that is to mentalists as Genocide is to mutants in the CU. I just need a name, and am coming up very, very dry.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Re: Organization Name Help Wanted

Originally posted by Worldmaker

I've got a criminal agency in the new GGU that is to mentalists as Genocide is to mutants in the CU. I just need a name, and am coming up very, very dry.

Anyone have any good ideas?

The Coalition for Free Thought.

Originally posted by Kristopher

"Genocide" never made much sense as a name for a group. Talk about your public relations disaster.

Except that "genocide" describes exactly what that group was about - the systematic extermination of an entire "people," in this case mutants. It's only bad public relations if you believe that the people in question don't deserve such treatment, and the Genocide sympathizers would probably assert emphatically that they do. OTOH if you want the name of your group to terrify your enemies, you could do a lot worse.

It's certainly no worse PR than a supervillain calling himself "Holocaust." ;)

Originally posted by Deejmeister

"Operation Mindcrime" (with apologies to Queensryche).

Now yer talkin'! I had a villain named mindcrime once upon a time.

And not coincidentally, for a price he'd do about anything, except pull the trigger; for that he'd need a pretty good cause...

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Except that "genocide" describes exactly what that group was about - the systematic extermination of an entire "people," in this case mutants. It's only bad public relations if you believe that the people in question don't deserve such treatment, and the Genocide sympathizers would probably assert emphatically that they do. OTOH if you want the name of your group to terrify your enemies, you could do a lot worse.

It's certainly no worse PR than a supervillain calling himself "Holocaust." ;)

I think Holocaust was beyond public reproach, though, especially in his originating alternate universe.

As for Genocide, they didn't need to worry about the people who emphatically agree with and support them. They could call themselves "Susan" and still get most of that support.

It's the rest of the population, who might support or ignore something with an ambiguous or "spun" name, but would oppose any group named Genecide just because of the name, that matters. "Genocide" is a lot more likely to draw negative public, media, and government attention than "The Citizens Defense League" or "Mutant Control, Inc."

I think Holocaust was beyond public reproach, though, especially in his originating alternate universe.

It sounds like you're referring to a character I'm unfamiliar with - sorry. My reference was to the current Champions Universe villain.

As for Genocide, they didn't need to worry about the people who emphatically agree with and support them. They could call themselves "Susan" and still get most of that support.

It's the rest of the population, who might support or ignore something with an ambiguous or "spun" name, but would oppose any group named Genecide just because of the name, that matters. "Genocide" is a lot more likely to draw negative public, media, and government attention than "The Citizens Defense League" or "Mutant Control, Inc."

My campaign is using both the Institute for Human Advancement (from 5E Champions Universe) and the Pure Earth Society (from The Mutant File) as public front organizations for Genocide. That last name refers only to the leaders and field agents of the group, to keep the "nuts with guns" separate in the public mind from the broader anti-mutant message. IMHO it gives me the best of both worlds. :)

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

It sounds like you're referring to a character I'm unfamiliar with - sorry. My reference was to the current Champions Universe villain.

My campaign is using both the Institute for Human Advancement (from 5E Champions Universe) and the Pure Earth Society (from The Mutant File) as public front organizations for Genocide. That last name refers only to the leaders and field agents of the group, to keep the "nuts with guns" separate in the public mind from the broader anti-mutant message. IMHO it gives me the best of both worlds. :)

I don't have the character sourcebooks for Champions, so I was thinking of the Marvel character. Pure doom in a containment suit.