Hero 6E Vol 1 for $9,887.90

Alcamtar

This is amusing. Looked up Hero 6E books on Amazon to see what they go for used, and found only two copies of Vol 1... for $9,887.90 and $9,923.46! :jawdrop:

Is it really that rare? I expect to pay a premium for out of print books, and I also expect to see a few speculators asking princely sums on the odd chance of getting a bite... but that's ridiculous. Why even list such a price? Will people really pay that much?  :stupid:

For a price check I tried Ebay and Noble Knight....  nothing. Scarce as hens teeth.

The same site (HPB) lists Martial Arts ($101.89) and the APG ($157.29). I was able to find these on ebay for 49.99 and 24.99 respectively, so they are running 2x to 6x overpriced. But even at 6x overpriced that still a whopping $1650 for the book.

Anyone manage to snag these recently? Anyone selling one to finance college or anything?  :rofl: (And no I'm not interested... anymore)

(finally a good use for those smilies!)

You'll find lots of items listed for outrageous prices like that. I think that some sellers do that so they don't have to create a new listing for an item that they currently don't have in stock. I've also heard (completely unsubstantiated) that prices like that have been used on eBay for illegal sales (or possibly straight money laundering). Not sure if that was ever the case on Amazon or not.

Some sellers use fast-reacting computer programs to set prices on Amazon, pricing slightly higher than the competition, and once in a while a couple of these programs go into a bidding war of sorts and the prices go nuts.  The most infamous example of this is a book on flies by a professor that got jacked up to $23 million

I've been trying to get ahold of the book for quite a while with no luck. 

Found a reasonably priced one on eBay that was damaged, but missed the auction.

I don't mind paying a decent amount for it, just not ridiculous. Self printing is way too expensive as well.

I really wish there would be a reprint. I understand that Champions Complete took the place of the main books, and I have it, but the main books are great looking, and I prefer those.

Some sellers use fast-reacting computer programs to set prices on Amazon, pricing slightly higher than the competition, and once in a while a couple of these programs go into a bidding war of sorts and the prices go nuts. The most infamous example of this is a book on flies by a professor that got jacked up to $23 million

I've always wondered why some books were priced ridicules.

I just decided finally to upgrade to 6th edition, but it looks like I missed out on the "damaged cover" ones of Vol 1.

I ordered Volume 2 for a decent price, but Volume 1 is outrageous, as noted above.

If anyone has one in excellent to mint condition they're willing to sell me, send me a PM.

Wow! Someone got a lucky score.

I guess you have to be ever-vigilant to get one of these for a decent price. It seems to be perfectly poised on the edge between popular enough to command high prices yet not popular enough to sink thousands of dollars into a new print run.

Oh, well. At least I got a copy. And some day I may be wealthy enough to buy a mint copy for $10k.  :rofl: