Avengers as a campaign

Dead guy on the tab

Iron Man is played by a tech geek who loves rebuilding his armor's abilities to keep ahead of real world technology. He also loves plumbing his character's depths through tragedies and recovering from them: examples include alchoholism, losing his fortune/company and plotlines with ill-fated romances (Black Widow/Madame Masque).

Nah, Iron Man's player never finished filling out his character sheet.  He's got an extra 100 points of disads that he never wrote down, and so the GM just comes up with stuff from time to time to make up for it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking over the roster of Avengers to refresh my memory, they've had an awful lot of suck in the lineups over the years, particularly the last half of their existence.  Wow.

Mockingbird is a puzzler, that costume is so odd, and her background is sort of random.  She's a spy in the rebuild but before that she was a sort of semi psychic who was connected to Ka-Zar in the Savage Lands, but was a SHIELD agent after AIM as Agent 19.  She has the name "huntress" originally, then became Mockingbird.  I think she was on the Avengers mostly as Hawkeye's wife.

Looking over the roster of Avengers to refresh my memory, they've had an awful lot of suck in the lineups over the years, particularly the last half of their existence.  Wow.

Mockingbird is a puzzler, that costume is so odd, and her background is sort of random.  She's a spy in the rebuild but before that she was a sort of semi psychic who was connected to Ka-Zar in the Savage Lands, but was a SHIELD agent after AIM as Agent 19.  She has the name "huntress" originally, then became Mockingbird.  I think she was on the Avengers mostly as Hawkeye's wife.

Mockingbird's player is another closet DC fan who wanted to play a character like Black Canary (who coincidentally is normally partnered with Green Arrow) but ended up dropping the scream powers and focusing on martial arts and spy background to match Hawkeye's.

Mockingbird started in a Justice Inc. campaign with psychic powers, moved to a Danger International campaign, until she was finally ported to a Champions campaign.

I recall well a campaign I ran in the 80s in which one of the kids had "berserk" as a Disadvantage and kept asking me if he could go berserk over and over through the whole game he was in.  He'd seen Wolverine and thought it was a superpower instead of a horrible drawback.

For him it was, for everyone else it was a free disad  :angst: .  I ran a game at a convention where one of the characters had a power set similar to Firestorm.  One session had a similar player who constantly was trying to transmute anything he could.

Cap's player managed to convince the rest of his group to play reformed supervillains, rather than actual supervillains.

Mind you, I'm not sure how Hawkeye would have fared in a "Magneto wins" campaign. Except, I suppose, if his player's girlfriend had been playing the Scarlet Witch.