How to shoot a gun from a hand

Nullcron

If I recall correctly, the penalty for targeting an Accessible Focus is -2 OCV.

So one way to do it is to roll to hit the target character, with the -2 for targeting the Focus instead, and then if you hit, roll damage to the Focus. You probably have a good chance to destroy the gun (doing even 1 BOD eliminates on Power from a Focus, and a gun usually has only one main Power.)

Lucius Alexander

Obvious Inaccessible Palindromedary

If your goal is to hit the gun in someone's hand, I'd go with the standard -2 OCV to target an OAF.

If it's to shoot the gun out of their hand after hitting it, I'd apply Knockback rules based on object size.

A standard gun weighs about a pound, or two levels of Shrinking, adding 12m to the knockback distance, so if not enough BODY is done to destroy the weapon, it either drops to the ground or flies from the wielder's hand.

The original question was

Rules question.

How would you play out a hero shooting a gun out of the hand of a villain? 

The wording suggests to me this is a "one shot" (so to speak) situation. Not asking how to give a character the ability to do this repeatedly or reliably, just asking what to do when a player says in combat "I shoot the gun out of his hand!"

Lucius Alexander

don't shoot the palindromedary

From Fantasy Hero Complete pg 174-175:

Disarm (1/2 Phase; -2 OCV; +0 DCV)
Allows a character to knock a weapon or hand-held object
out of another character’s grasp. With a successful Attack
Roll, the two characters engage in a STR Versus STR
Contest. If the defender’s BODY total is higher, the Disarm
attempt fails.
Characters can perform Disarms with Ranged attacks
(such as using a bow to shoot a knife out of an enemy’s
hand) with an OCV penalty based on the size of the
weapon/object being Disarmed instead of the normal -2
OCV penalty. This penalty typically ranges from -2 to -3 for
crossbow or sword (or similarly sized object), up to -5 to -8
for a knife (or similarly sized object). Convert the Damage
Classes of the Ranged attack used to Disarm into STR for
the STR Versus STR Contest at the rate of 1 DC = 5 STR.

Generally I would consider -2 the minimum penalty on a ranged Disarm unless the object was unusually large or difficult to hold on to for some reason.  A handgun would probably a -3 or 4 depending on size, though it's really up to the GM.  Being consistent in what penalty you apply is more important than what number you use.

I think it's important to not that it's note a "Ranged Disarm" which is a specific Martial Art Maneuver that must be purchased.  It's using the Disarm Maneuver, which is a general maneuver that anyone can use, with a Ranged Attack.  You don't have to buy anything special to do this.

I think it's important to not that it's note a "Ranged Disarm" which is a specific Martial Art Maneuver that must be purchased. It's using the Disarm Maneuver, which is a general maneuver that anyone can use, with a Ranged Attack. You don't have to buy anything special to do this.

I always thought that the standard disarm was hth only however since they did expand martial arts to include range then making disarm ranged also seems appropriate too. Dark Champions has rules for shooting guns outta villians hand. The biggest thing is to make the damage equivalent in damage class to normal and it think its a strength vs strength roll.