Camera

whitekeys

I am looking for some help building a camera. Just the whole idea of taking a concrete visual record of something. Like Eidetic memory with a Transmit sense, but limited somehow for only putting it down on paper in specific packages.

Eventually, I'm going to add a Flash attack (for the bulb in the camera) but I'm sure I can do that later. It's Pulp time.

Thanks!

I agree with Tasha.

Since I have never previously considered a camera before, my off the cuff idea is KS (or perhaps AK): Subject of photo 11-. PS: Photography acts as a Complimentary skill. Throw on some Non-Recoverable charges and a Focus (pun not intended but still funny) Limitation and you are on the way.

Rolls of film could be bought as Naked Advantage: Non-Recoverable Charges that apply to the camera.

Just my initial thoughts. I still agree with Tasha, but I suppose it depends on the context of your game.

EDIT: Retrocognition might also be appropriate.

With you there L. Marcus.

Was also thinking Images might work. I'm just trying to figure out what the in-game purpose might be.

EDIT:

35mm Camera

Images to Normal Sight*

0 END (+ 1/2), Persistent (+ 1/4) 9 Active Cost

24 Non-Recoverable Charges (-1/4), OAF (-1), Requires a PS: Photography** skill roll (-1/2), Only to create a still image recording of a specific subject or place at a specific moment in time (-1) 2 Real Cost

* Sight is normally a targeting sense, but for this purpose I decided it should be non-targeting.

** Alternatively, a zero cost Familiarity would work.

There. Best possible solution I can come up with. This allows viewers to make a Perception check to notice specific details in a photo.

I suppose you folks are right. You're right in this sense because I'm running a Heroic campaign, and that kind of thing just gets purchased with money in-game. It's for an NPC character who's an early 1920s flavoured reporter, into the big stories and constantly asking questions. I thought he could help the PCs out by taking a photo with one of those cameras with the big bulbs, just at the right moment, and temporarily blinding the assailant. I know this is a Flash, I can handle that, but I just thought about what else the camera might do in terms of assisting the PCs. Basically its information stuff that a Contact might be able to provide you. Like the PCs are trying to track down a villain: the proffering of a photo by some informant might help drastically if that villain doesn't have Distinct Features of any kind. In a low-tech campaign, like with technology from the late 1800s, it could prove more useful, or at least more interesting to the Characters, that you might think. But, yes, I still think this should be handwaved.

I like L. Marcus' idea of an unusual camera.... This is sounding like a Dr. Who episode!

Thanks for the ideas!

While I agree that a build isn't really necessary*, I don't think Eiditic Memory or Images are the way to model this. The former is not that precise and Images is not an Enhanced Sense.

from 6e1 page 447:

Eidetic Memory: +5 to INT Rolls (10 Active Points); Only To Recall Memorized/Perceived Information (-1). Total cost: 5 points.

*I couldn't help myself.

6 Camera: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group) (40 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Limited Power 2-D Snapshot Images Only (-1), Fixed Perception Point (Camera Lens; -1), No Range (-1/2), One Sense Only (Sight; -1/4), Attack Roll Required (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Hour (Battery; -0)

[Notes: Spoon!] - END=[1 cc]

**I didn't bother to build the camera flash since that is a relatively standard build by comparison.

Camera 6e.hdc

:)

HM

Attack Roll Required FTW! At first brush, I was somewhat leery, but it makes sense. No sure about No Range, being as photos can be taken at long distances with the right zoom lens. And to pick knits, wouldn't you need some variation of Usable by Other for hard copy photos and/or Transmit for digital ones? Figure if we are going to go through all this trouble, we may as well really get granular. :D

Attack Roll Required FTW! At first brush, I was somewhat leery, but it makes sense. No sure about No Range, being as photos can be taken at long distances with the right zoom lens. And to pick knits, wouldn't you need some variation of Usable by Other for hard copy photos and/or Transmit for digital ones? Figure if we are going to go through all this trouble, we may as well really get granular. :D

The No Range Limitation only applies to the Clairsentience perception point (which normally has Range and is what gives the power its otherwise 'Indirect' qualities by default).  Different Lenses would just allow for different modifiers like Telescopic to be applied.  I think the Focus Limitation covers the UBO in this case. Hard copies and other analysis tools could be statted up by actually modeling Printers and Monitors that are Linked to the Camera build.

;)

HM

What you asked for is not the camera or not only it. It is also the recoding part.

Camera, CCTV system or Television:

All three can be defined as Clairsentience (Sight). Possibly also hearing.

As usual for Clairsentience (Sight), it does not provide a Targgeting sense connection.

Television can also be build as "HRRP, Radio And Television only(-?)" That asumes somebody is actually broadcasting for you to just perceive passively

Recoding to VHS tape, DVD or a disk would be "Eidetic Memory, only for Camera" or "Eidetic Memory, Only Sight and Hearing" (if you record your direct senses like a Shadowrun Cyberimplants). Possibly also a Focus (the VHS or DVD variant).

As that tends to be incredibly low point, you can usually just handwave it away. The Focus would end up with minimal body and defenses either way.

I agree with Tasha's original post. Generally there is no point cost for everyman equipment.

However if you really wanted to build it up as a power, I would use the build Nolgroth made in post 5.

Oh, we were talking about a Photo-Camera. It just occurred to me that I have been using the Video Cameras so long, I totally forgot those existed. Despite me actually having a old Greyscale Camera and even doing some basic work developing Photos from the negatives. So my post is utterly wrong. Ah well, happens.

If I had to make a oldschool Film, propably "Eidetic Memory, Still Sightimpressions only(-?), Concentration, OAF(-1*)". Because using cameras will take up more attention then using a gun (you actually have to point onto the target for longer then it takes to squeeze the trigger).

The only reason it would cost any points is that powers have a minimum cost of 1 CP.

In the end it is like the Ammunition for a gun:

How it is build will not really mater on the Limitations part. What skills and limitations apply for using that gear, matters.

*Everyone in the time still knows what a camera is and that the film does not take light so well.

When I've had reason to stay it out in the past, I've used Eidetic Memory. But I agree with others there's not usually a need to stay it out at all. We used to call this The Radio Shack Rule: anything that can be cheaply purchased at any Radio Shack doesn't need to be paid for with points, and usually doesn't need stats. We may have to rename it, now that the Shack has largely gone the way of the Dodo...