The Academics Thread

Pariah

Groan.  My institution just announced classes will be virtual through January.  They have made the exception that labs can be in-person. 

I get to restructure stuff.  Today is the first day of classes, but since all I have are MWF classes my first day is actually tomorrow. 

Let's see, where'd I leave the cocked hat I can throw my syllabus into?

My Priorities In This Classroom:

1. Providing a safe, respectful place where you can learn by your own experience (which will include failure, sometimes).

2. Providing you with effective instruction and feedback to help you to be successful.

3. Guiding you along the path to being an effective student, citizen, and human being.

4. Your grade.

Take care of #1-3, and #4 will take care of itself.

Time for that glorious annual exercise in pandering to current corporate practices, filling out my annual performance review form.

I think I could replace the entire document with the statement, "I am getting too old for this s--t."

My principal just come over the intercom to announce a county-wide mask mandate (including schools) for the next 30 days.

This doesn't really affect me much, as I've continued to wear one anyway this year (as has most of the science department). I don't know how much blowback we'll get from students ... but I do know how much I'll care. Wear your mask, or GTHO.

Normal Day / English - Roman - Norse/Germanic

Sunday - Dies Solis, Sun's Day - Sunnandæg, Sunna's Day 

Monday - Dies Lunae, Moon's Day - Monandæg, Mani's Day

Tuesday - Dies Martis, Mars' Day - Tiwesdæg, Tiw/Tyr's Day

Wednesday - Dies Mercurii, Mercury's Day - Wodnesdæg, Woden (Odin)'s Day

Thursday - Dies Jovis, Jupiter's Day - Thunresdæg, Thunor (Thor)'s Day

Friday - Dies Veneris, Venus' Day - Frigedæg, Frigg or Freya's Day

Saturday - Dies Saturni, Saturn' Day - Sæturnesdæg

https://www.msn.com/en-au/lifestyle/smart-living/how-the-days-of-the-week-got-their-names/ss-AASC2qL?li=AAgfYrC

Hadn't heard of it before directly, though there have been hints that such a thing existed in the discussion of the history of the Jesuits and them finding themselves in the role of running schools and educating broad swathes of society fairly early in their history.

Meanwhile, in my no-rest-for-the-wicked-and-that-would-include-me category, I find myself tasked with assessing a proposed revision to the Masters in Teaching program (or some such thing; they may be changing the name as well) at my institution.

My initial reaction: there's a galactic-scale s--twad of buzzwords here.  Corollaries: (1) It might actually help if I knew what the buzzwords were supposed to mean.  (2) I don't think my recent rereading of Cargo Cult Science prior to assigning it as reading in my Solar Systems: Ours and Others course was good preparation for the task in front of me.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

Hadn't heard of it before directly, though there have been hints that such a thing existed in the discussion of the history of the Jesuits and them finding themselves in the role of running schools and educating broad swathes of society fairly early in their history.

Apparently, allowance was made for it in the initial Society of Jesus constitution, and it was to be formulated after in a seperate document. 

We had a test-to-stay event at my school today. We tested about 1600 kids, about 14% of them came back positive. Yikes.

And I just heard on the news that my district School board held an emergency meeting tonight and voted unanimously to go to distance learning through the end of next week.

Here we go again....

:think: that's just long enough to see the infections already caused by being in-person to show up, but not long enough for the effects of the imposed isolation to become apparent.  It's a breathtakingly stupid edict that can only be interpreted as panic.