The Academics Thread

Pariah

I've seen that before.  I doubt I'll make it to 100.  And rather than the Bahamas I'd go to Rarotonga.  Too many hurricanes have been visiting the Bahamas lately.  Also, Rarotonga has a mountain or two so the island is less likely to become a sandbank under the rising ocean level.

The teacher handled that perfectly.  I grant the validity of social questions and punt those out of my course scope, but I refer them (usually) to social science or ethics courses.  About the most I would have said to this case is that I think robot ants would work better than robot bees for this particular application, because the flyers would be easier to notice and cause clear countermeasures from the human population.

Stars will continue to accept matter from the accretion disk until it is hot enough to start nuclear fusion. As fusion start stars begin to produce solar wind, constantly ejecting plasma out of the surface of the star. This pushes the incoming gas away  from the star, creating 2 ejaculating flows perpendicular to the accretion disk. Eventually the remaining gas in the accretion disk is ejected away through these flows, marking the end of Star formation.

In your last paragraph, remember that the strong stellar wind comes off the star in all directions. [...] Finally, you really do not want to use the word "ejaculating" in this essay.

One of the problems when dealing with students who are not native speakers of English.

On 2/27/2022 at 9:43 PM, Bazza said:

1) Indians

2) My mother told me to never sketch people in their briefs.

3) Indians again.

4) Bandywine was Hobbits vs Dark Riders.

Great Meadows was the Orioles vs the Yankees. Though come to think of it, that might have been Camden Yards.

Auntie Nam was last Thanksgiving vs my mother.

Buena Vista was the Great Parking Lot Debate of 1989.

5) A bunch of guys with cool accents shot at a bunch of guys who didn't have cool accents.

6) The War of 1812 started because they'd already printed up all the t-shirts for merchandizing efforts so it didn't make any sense to wait until after the new year.

Perhaps the most famous battle of the War of 1812 was when the British tried to burn Lincoln's bedroom before he even got the chance to not sleep in it. 

7) I'm too good at naming things to play this game. I should have been Adam.

8 - See the answer to #7

9) Trump was impeached due to phone charges.

10) False: The Who invented none of those things and neither did the World Health Organization.

Situation: Your son's AP U.S. history teacher spends class time ranting about critical race theory, loses* his student's homework, grades at random, demands that students attend weekend study halls (and grades attendance on that), and openly refuses direction from school and department administration.  He retires in 60 days and ran out of f__ks sometime in 2020.  As a parent, how should you handle this?

* "Loses".

Another suggestion for your friend: most places require written notification be sent to the student when proceedings begin.  Have the department admin aide make sure that notification letter goes to the home (usually parents') address, not the local address.  First time I had to do the formal process thing, we had a new admin aide, and not realizing she had a choice, without asking me she sent the notification to the home address, which happened to be in Montana.  The mushroom cloud that caused was visible from my office window.