The Academics Thread

Pariah

5 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

When I teach in-person, students often laugh at my jokes.

When I teach the same students online they don't laugh at all, so I asked them why.

They replied, "Because your jokes aren't remotely funny."

slap penguins GIF

At one previous institution of mine, some twit in the Philosophy Department proposed creation of a required ethics course in the undergrad curriculum (which would, of course, have made a bonanza for the Philosophy Department, but Philosophy of course did not mention this).  My response was that I'd support this if and only if being caught cheating in that course caused immediate and irrevocable expulsion from the University.  (I had recently dealt with a couple of academic dishonesty cases in my own courses, and was frustrated that I couldn't get a kid expelled for handing in something he'd downloaded from schoolsucks.com.)

4 hours ago, Cancer said:

At one previous institution of mine, some twit in the Philosophy Department proposed creation of a required ethics course in the undergrad curriculum (which would, of course, have made a bonanza for the Philosophy Department, but Philosophy of course did not mention this).  My response was that I'd support this if and only if being caught cheating in that course caused immediate and irrevocable expulsion from the University.  (I had recently dealt with a couple of academic dishonesty cases in my own courses, and was frustrated that I couldn't get a kid expelled for handing in something he'd downloaded from schoolsucks.com.)

My philosophy professors would have absolutely signed on for that.