The Academics Thread

Pariah

The institution from which I got my bachelor's had an obscure thing in their regulations, and that thing was that you had to have 90 credits outside your major in order to graduate.  That's out of a 180 total.  And if you were a double major (and I was), the 90 had to be outside of the union of your majors.  That was literally the last general degree requirement I fulfilled there, as I took a 5-credit 100-level sociology course in my final quarter to get to a total of 93 credits outside the majors.

On 8/3/2022 at 11:05 AM, Logan.1179 said:

Sounds like a major hassle. 

It wasn't.  If anything, it was high comedy.  Big classroom, 900 seats or so.  Full.  Five exams, no final, drop the low exam score.  Exams are 50 T/F questions.  Of the five of us taking the class together, more than half were taking it pass/fail.  We all passed (I think we got A's, actually) the first four exams, so we didn't have to take the last one.  Skipped class, but showed up for the last exam.  One guy brought a 6-pack into the room.  We got our exam, and one guy cracked all the beers open (we each got one), and then we waved a TA over, who looked at us like we were idiots.  "Run this one down to the prof," we told her, and we watched her go down to the front and hand the beer to the professor, who glanced up into the room sheepishly.  He finished marking an exam key, wrapped a spare exam around the beer, and left.

At which point the five of us drank our beers and tried to get zeros on the exam.  Do you know how hard it is, after sixteen years of conditioning in classwork, to spot the right answer but deliberately mark a wrong one?  It was a strange episode.

EDIT: And that's the story of the last exam I took as an undergrad.

Back about 10-12 years ago when I was teaching Math Meth at 8AM, I could get a box of day-olds from a local shop for $3.  About a dozen donuts of miscellaneous kinds (whatever hadn't sold the day before), no control of what was in the box, but their day-olds were better than the campus coffee counter's "fresh".