The Academics Thread

Pariah

On 10/2/2022 at 3:36 AM, Bazza said:

The particular book I'm looking for is titled "The Marshall Plan and the Truman Doctrine" authored by George Capaccio, and published in 2017 by Cavendish Square Publishing. Reading age is 12-17 (so high school level). I'm looking specifically for page 33. If anyone does find the book, could you photograph that page and share it. Thanks. 

My institution doesn't have it, nor does the catalog system find it anywhere among the allied systems it's connected to.  Something of a surprise to me.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

My institution doesn't have it, nor does the catalog system find it anywhere among the allied systems it's connected to.  Something of a surprise to me.

An e-book version is available for checkout through Hoopla (accessible with a library card from a participating library).

5 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

science-project.jpg?w=600&ssl=1

Missed an important finding.

Household alcohol purchase and consumption goes up in the weeks leading up to the fair.  A quantified time history analysis would go a long way toward turning this into a winning fair entry.

11 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Missed an important finding.

Household alcohol purchase and consumption goes up in the weeks leading up to the fair.  A quantified time history analysis would go a long way toward turning this into a winning fair entry.

Science fairs as a student were stressful.  Science fairs as a parent are actually kind of fun.  I found myself wishing my kids' science fairs had a parent division.

11 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

We never had them when I was growing up. I knew they existed from the fiction of the time, but I never got to be in one. I always wanted to. I feel that I was cheated out of a basic human experience. 

"Cheated" out of an experience that probably requires more long term planning and schedule adherence than any middle schooler is actually capable of.  :)  Not to mention equipment--one of newer boy's science projects involved triboluminscence, i.e. the flash you get when you bite a wintergreen candy.  Turns out it can be pretty visible to the naked eye but actually recording it is nearly impossible; we had to scramble to borrow a fairly high end digital SLR and even then the results were pretty iffy.

One of older boy's science projects involved the treatment of jellyfish stings.  Well, to treat jellyfish stings, someone must first be stung by a jellyfish...

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

I've read that if you get stung by a jellyfish, you should have someone pee on it.

Honestly, I'm not sure how peeing on a jellyfish is going to help.

If it is a box jellyfish sling use vinegar on the area stinged immediately, from memory about 30 seconds from being stung to save that person’s life. 

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

I've read that if you get stung by a jellyfish, you should have someone pee on it.

Honestly, I'm not sure how peeing on a jellyfish is going to help.

Incredibly, urine as a treatment for stings was only scientifically debunked five years ago.  The best treatments are:

- heat

- vinegar

- a solution of copper gluconate

Urine has no effect; cold, soda, and rubbing with sand make it worse.

From personal experience I can attest that box jellyfish stings suck.  0/10 do not recommend.