The Academics Thread

Pariah

If you can find a copy of the 2013 Cosmos series, there's an episode called "Sisters of the Sun" that discusses Cecilia Payne and several other influential female astronomers in the early 20th century.

Cecelia Payne-Gaposchkin is one of the early titans of astrophysics.  While the impact of her doctoral thesis work ... uniting spectroscopic results and new developments in thermodynamics (the Saha equation in particular) showing that the stars had to be principally composed of hydrogen ... is easy to understand, the reasoning behind it is something you don't get until a senior-level astrophysics course, typically.  I think only her PhD advisor, Henry Norris Russell, did work that was even more important than hers, and that's probably because he started earlier and had less understanding to build upon. 

If I had to choose others from that era of similarly titanic stature, I think I would choose only Harlow Shapley (who provided the first qualitatively correct picture of the structure of our galaxy and identified our position in it as distinctly away from the center) and Edwin Hubble (who "only" discovered the expansion of the Universe).